"The Kinks Finish Up The 1960's, And ARTHUR" POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Dec 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Released 10/10/1969 Arthur one of, it not considered by many the Kinks greatest album. An amazing album ending the Kinks incredible 1960's run. Love this record, the Kinks clicking on all cylinders just before their massive 1970's album output.
    The Kinks would enter and remain flawless during the super 70's.

Whatever your favorite Kinks album is, I like them all, but Arthur is amazing.

[​IMG]

WIKIPEDIA:

Singles from Arthur:
    1. "Drivin'"
      Released: 20 June 1969
    2. "Shangri-La"
      Released: 12 September 1969
    3. "Victoria"
      Released: 14 October 1969
    Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) is the seventh studio album by English rock band the Kinks, released in October 1969. Kinks frontman Ray Davies constructed theconcept album as the soundtrack to a Granada Television play and developed the storyline with novelist Julian Mitchell; however, the television programme was cancelled and never produced. The rough plot revolved around Arthur Morgan, a carpet-layer, who was based on Ray Davies' brother-in-law Arthur Anning. A mono version was released in the UK, but not in the US. It is now available on the 2011 deluxe-edition re-issue.

Arthur was met with nearly unanimous acclaim upon release. It received generous coverage in the US rock press, with articles running in underground magazines such as Fusion and The Village Voice. It garnered back-to-back reviews by Mike Daly and Greil Marcus in Rolling Stone magazine's lead section; Daly rated it "the Kinks' finest hour", and Marcus ranked it "the best British album of 1969". Reviews in the UK were also positive. Although Arthur received a mixed review in New Musical Express, Disc & Music Echo praised the album's musical integrity, and Melody Maker called it "Ray Davies' finest hour ... beautifully British to the core".

The album, although not very successful commercially, was a return to the charts in the US for the band. Their previous effort, The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society, received acclaim from critics but failed to chart in any country upon its 1968 release, with total US sales estimated at under 25,000 copies. The Kinks returned to the Billboard charts in 1969 after a two-year absence, with the lead single from the record, "Victoria", peaking at number 62. The album itself reached number 50 on the Record World charts, and number 105 on Billboard, their highest position since 1965. It failed to chart in Britain. Arthur paved the way for the further success of their 1970 comeback album Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One and its accompanying US Top 10 and UK Top 5 hit "Lola".

Arthur (Or Decline and Fall Of The British Empire) »

Kinks Alive! - Ray Davies Rolling Stone Interview, 1969 »

Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) - Wikipedia »

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Kinks' best album! Tough to pick!

3. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

4. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Simply a great album. Arguably their best. It's one of those where it's almost impossible to pick many standouts, as the standard is uniformly high. I went for, in order, these...

1. Shangri-la
    2. Victoria
    3. Some Mother's Son
    4. Drivin'
    5. She's Bought A Hat Like Princess Marina

5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Shangri-La
    Victoria
    Some Mother's Son
    Australia
    Brainwashed

6. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I pretty much like all of the album but offhand I'd say Princess Marina, Some Mother's Son and Shangri-La are my favorites.

7. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

No fair, only 5! Went with (in no order):

Victoria (perfect setup track and a defining Kinks song)
    Some Mother's Son (some of Ray's most brutal and stark imagery)
    Brainwashed (first time I heard this album was in a used record shop. The dude behind the counter was playing this track and when it finished he said "I gotta play that one again" and he did. I walked out with the record in hand.)
    Shangri-La (just a masterpiece top to bottom)
    Mr. Churchill Says (Dave really shines on this one, and Mick's drumming in the rave-up at the end)

On any day Yes Sir, No Sir and Young and Innocent Days should make the list.

Only song that doesn't rank as klassic is the closer. Nothing To Say feels like the true end of the record to me... Arthur plays over the end credits or something.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Picked the singles.
    A sucker for the hits.

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Ahhhh... An Arthur album lover!! Splendid!!

alexpop likes this.
  10. zen

zen Senior Member

Victoria
    Drivin'
    Australia
    Shangri La
    Mr. Churchill Says

....my favorite Kinks album.

11. alexpop

I want a Arthur mug!!!

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

:cheers:
    You and I both!!

linclink and alexpop like this.
  13. zen

zen Senior Member

Me three!

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

linclink likes this.
  15. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Arthur is my favourite song on the album.
    Rest of my five:
    Victoria
    Yes Sir No Sir
    Some Mothers Son
    Young And Innocent Days

Nothing To Say was one of the only Kinks songs of the sixties I ever viewed as week. Took a long time for this song to sink into my brain, I can sing it in my head now and see it's value but for years when I looked at the songlist that title would just leave me blank.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  16. alexpop

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  17. alexpop

Kinks lover.
    Pye
    Aye

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Victoria live 1972.

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

20. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

"I try deliberately to be unfashionable..."

Hahahaha love it

21. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

i picked the 1-4 and Shangri-La. However, the whole album flows great from all tracks of the lp.

22. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Shangri-La all the way. Beautiful.

23. Psychedelic Good Trip

24. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

The Kinks are my 2nd favorite band of the 1960s, behind everyone's venerable favorites...the Bea...The Velvet Underground.

Hard to pick 5, but I did.
    Victoria
    Some Mother's Son
    Shangri-La
    Mr Churchill Says
    Arthur

25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Incredible line-up.

alexpop and strummer101 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.