Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Bookshelf speakers would look pretty strange three feet from a rear wall....

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

every foot makes a difference.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. avanti1960

Bookshelf speakers can be converted to standmount speakers. No modifications required. Just add stands.

4. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Like this.

[​IMG]

barfko, SandAndGlass, arar and 14 others like this.
  5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I really like CDM-1SEs - nice!

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. frimleygreener

Would you not buy standmounts if you intended to mount speakers on stands rather than bookshelf,most engineered to allow performance close to walls?

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, we saw that upthread. ;)

avanti1960 likes this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

Can you reword this? I am not sure what you mean.

9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm glad that my comment about speaker placement has been positively received. It really does make a significant difference.

I have relied on the Cardas Calculator, and the results have been excellent in every room. Try it and hear what you've been missing!

And while I'm in preaching mode, do not put components and other stuff right next to your speakers! They need space around them.

[​IMG]

10. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Worked in a Hi-Fi store years ago. Took a pair of NHT Super Zeros off of their wall brackets and put them on a pair of heavy stands meant for a much larger pair of speakers......three feet from the corners of the room.....the sound was amazing. I used to do this a lot to show people how important speaker placement was.

I learned this years before when I took my old ADS L-700's and put them on some cinder blocks, (cabinets were trashed anyways), out from the wall, and put one on top of the speaker as well to stop the box from moving, and ......Wow!

Used this method also to show how important your electronics were. Most people build their systems from the speakers to the source. That's backwards in my opinion.

Once put the Super Zeros on the stands in place of the $7K speakers in the "high end" room, about $50K of electronics driving them, kinda shocking how good they sounded.

CowFish, Bob_in_OKC, triple and 2 others like this.
  11. avanti1960

Good point. There are some speakers that are made for against the wall placement and their crossovers are voiced to reduce baffle step compensation. These speakers rely on up against the wall position for balanced bass response and might sound thin away from the wall.
    I do believe that speakers appropriately voiced for wall placement are in the vast minority though.

12. avanti1960

When in doubt use the Cardas nearfield setup. Great for monitor speakers.

13. frimleygreener

There are "bookshelf" speakers that of course can be placed on stands,but are designed specificaly to work in close proximity to walls...and indeed would suffer if moved three feet into a room. Close proximity to rear/side walls on speakers not designed to be so placed would of course be detrimental to their performance.

PhilBiker likes this.
  14. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

How do the 805's compare to the LS-50's? Seems both speakers are popular and highly regarded.

15. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yes. Not to be too harsh, but time and time again it looks like the full potential of fine expensive speakers is being unrealized and wasted by poor placement. I realize there are other considerations for a living space, but if I had to make severe compromises I would probably use cheaper equipment and not worry about such things.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for explaining.

I asked because my bookshelf speakers (Polk Audio Monitor 40) sound much better about 18 inches from the rear wall, on stands so that the tweeter is at ear level and toed in. Closer than that to the rear wall yields too much bass, while more than that and the bass begins to thin out. But my speakers have rear ports, so maybe that's why?

SandAndGlass and frimleygreener like this.
  17. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Let me show you the room they were in before, and I absolutely understand about pulling them away from the walls, however, the tiny little place I am in now will not allow me to pull them away from the walls, plus if they come out even 1/8th of an inch more they will be half on the rug and half on the carpet, an approximate 5/8th inch dip, and you know what a mess that can be! If I had the room, I can assure you, they would be pulled out. I have heard them in both large and small rooms, and the way they are set up now does work fine, but so you will know where I used to be, and where the speakers were, here is another pic. :wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So my friend, you can see, I have done it both ways! Thanks for your input.

Happy Listening!

easycraig, Kyhl, SandAndGlass and 6 others like this.
  18. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Yes, oddly enough, my TV speakers are NHT's Absolute Wall speakers. I am not an NHT freak or anything, but they fit the bill. Sound good coupled with an Audio Engine sub.

Also, doubly oddly enough, just took this pic of the speakers while Roger Waters The Wall is playing on the telly. Listening to "The Wall" with my "wall" speakers.

Recorded this last night to watch with my girl tonight but could not wait.

Some nice light listening on a Saturday morning, ha ha. It's usually the Glenn Gould on the tuner there.

Talk about music when it was truly art. What a brilliant piece of work!!!

[​IMG]

Kyhl, Donniej, bluemooze and 7 others like this.
  19. Bananas&blow

Me too. I'm listening to my CDM 7Se's right now. Had them for 13 years or so and don't really have any need to change them. I have dreamt of the Nautilus series for years but I never feel like I am lacking anything in these.

Memphisflash, tmtomh and Ron P. like this.
  20. Litejazz53

Oh my, I owned that Tanberg receiver many years ago when I still had my ADS L-910, L-810, and 710 loudspeakers, what a "beautiful" piece of history, a fine work of art indeed!

Tim 2 and Ron P. like this.
  21. Bananas&blow

This is my exact experience with my B&W CM5's. They are rear ported also. I had them on a desk 5 inches from the back wall and they really sounded poor. Muddy bass. Moved them into my living room and like you have them 18 inches from the back wall. Any further and they look kind of ridiculous for a living room. My wife didn't seem to mind and I went out of my way to ask her if she minds if I put them there. Allows for a correct Toe in angle. The change in SQ was jaw dropping.

FWIW I still think the CM5's have a huge hole in the frequency in the mid-bass and will likely be selling them. Strangely they have solid deep bass for a monitor. They sound great for jazz but some get up rock and roll i'm not a big fan of them. First time B&W has ever disappointed me, and I've had about 5 pairs of B&W speakers in the last 15 years.

tmtomh and George P like this.
  22. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Generally speaking, I prefer front-ported speakers to rear-ported because I think they're easier to place in a room.

23. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Thanks Litejazz53.

Came across the baby in mint condition....had to add it to my collection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. So they sound best outside ? :tiphat:

25. Litejazz53

My gosh, it is in mint condition, I don't even see any discoloration on the push buttons, how darn lucky are you!! I remember exactly where I purchased mine so many years ago, Modern Music Audio in Memphis, which was "the" place to go for the best of snobby audio, about the same time I purchased my Studer ReVox B-215 ultra cassette deck. Don't make the mistake I did, when I upgraded to something else I sold that beautiful receiver. Don't let that one get out of your possession, oh if I only had my fantastic ADS L-910 speakers back, the one speaker I wish I had never had sold! Thanks so much for sharing those great pics of your Tandberg classic!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016