Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Huzzah! That makes two of us who like this album.

You had to go and ruin it by including a pic of Fallon, though, didn't you?

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  2. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I wanted to go for the CK, White and Young effect. Fallon's just the salesman.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  3. Scopitone

budwhite likes this.
  4. Scopitone

Fair enough! :laugh:

budwhite likes this.
  5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to make it there tonight. Originally I was supposed to meet up with some friends, but they're not going, so, I don't know, I guess I will remain uninitiated with the CRB. I notice there are no tickets left on StubHub anyway, but I see tickets listed on craigslist. Plus, with almost any show these days, if you really want to go, you can usually pick one up outside the venue. A lot of online ticket sales are so "'botted" up by brokers, the tickets "sell out" fast, but then they're available on the aftermarket forever and many times for less than or at face. Plus I went out Thursday night to see X. I guess that was my big night out this week. :D

EDIT: Then I started watching their Lockn set and Chris is wearing some crazy Jerry shirt. I think I might go now if I can find a cheap ticket. Guy knows what he's doing, marketing-wise, "If I wear my Jerry shirt while performing, some fence-sitters will fall over to the CRB side."

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    Crispy Rob, Erik B. and Scopitone like this.
  6. Scopitone

Saturday busywork: I am tagging and converting a bunch of music files for uploading to my iTunes cloud. It's fairly dull, even with Foobar and MP3tag to help automate as much as possible. (BTW, Bruce traders are a lot more helpful than GoGD traders in the way they tag their FLACS and write the info sheets. Just saying. . .)

Listening to Bruce Springsteen 11/5/1980 Tempe, AZ while I do my work.

budwhite likes this.
  7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Just do it man!

This is my favorite track from the new EP.
    Sweet telecaster playing from Casal @ianuaditis
    Maybe not yer first choice for a Saturday night song though

8. wavethatflag

I'm trying to get a ticket for 30 bucks from someone I contacted off craigslist, so we'll see. I'm trying to figure out what Starbucks we're meeting at.

I'm reading the comments under the CRB Lockn stream on youtube and it's cracking me up. Someone posted, "this is weak jam band music" and "what a boring f-cking show". Someone else posted "Either embrace the CRB and smoke a doob or shut the f-ck up.":D

Edit: Hey, does Chris actually play that guitar he's holding? I'm not trying to be a dick but he's not really in the mix at all. I can't hear him.

Edit 2: OK, I'm picking up my ticket a little after 5. I'm in. I'm dedicating this show, a night of music I've never seen before and it better not suck, dangnabbit, to @LUNACHUCK and the rest of you CRB people in the Dead threads. @Crispy Rob I know there's a 95 percent chance you're not going, but this your heads up. :)

Edit 3: Which t-shirt? Should I go full blown tie dye? I own two but it's serious business if I put one of those on. I don't know if I can handle it. I'll be sure to put my headband on tight for an extra rush during Neal's guitar solo. OK, I'm gonna go burn some incense now...

9. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I went to see a guitarist I've never seen before last Tuesday night (Fred Frith) and it was the best night of music I've experienced this year. I did know the other musicians very well but not Frith.

I'm still shaking from how great he (and the two trios) was.

So great I haven't played any of the 3 CDs of his I bought at the show as I am still holding on to what I heard.

I hope you experience the same or similar tonight

10. wavethatflag

I'm digging CRB's cover of "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" from their last Lockn set.

11. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I normally dig on improvisation, but when I crave some more brief, structured music, if it isn't Dylan or the Beatles, it's inevitably Harry Nilsson. Damn if he wasn't prolific and brilliant. The RCA Albums Collection is a bargain at twice the price.

Meanwhile, there's a corned beef in the pressure cooker, cabbage with siracha in the skillet, and baby potatoes and acorn squash roasting in the oven. Five mustards soon to be dolloped into small bowls and then...

12. wavethatflag

Everyday is St. Patrick's Day in MA. I don't understand the sriracha part though. They didn't have that in MA when I was growing up. I don't think it was allowed.

warewolf95, Scopitone and Archtop like this.
  13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Enjoy. Close your eyes, enjoy the contact high you will receive, and imagine you are at a Jerry band show

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. wavethatflag

I'm not going to do that, man. I'm not going to try to channel Jerry at a CRB show. They must fail or succeed on their own.:D

I just listened to/watched their whole Lockn set, so I'm not too concerned about never seeing these guys .

warewolf95 and Erik B. like this.
  15. Archtop

I will in about 2-3 hours.

16. wavethatflag

New England boiled dinner is a classic though, sriracha or no. Not that you're boiling anything. But that's how we always made corned beef and cabbage.

Erik B. and Archtop like this.
  17. Archtop

I would consider a pressure cooker to be a boiling method. Just finished up and that sucker was boiling from within when I cracked the lid off.

Dahabenzapple and Erik B. like this.
  18. wavethatflag

I've never used one. I just figured it was steam hitting the food, water boiling underneath. I'm not Mr. America's Test Kitchen, but I know a few things about cooking.

Dahabenzapple, Erik B. and Archtop like this.
  19. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

the SRV SACD'S......

Crispy Rob, budwhite and Erik B. like this.
  20. Archtop

You need enough water in there to prevent melting the pot (or so the instructions say and I tend to favor them given the high pressure and temperature goin' on). Given the ideal gas law:

pV = nRT

with volume (V), moles of water (n) and the ideal gas constant (R) being constants (or more or less constant in the case of n), as the pressure (p) rises, the temperature (T) must also rise in linear proportion to p since the two sides of the equation are, by definition, equal. So to use a pressure cooker, you need a couple of inches of water in there, or about 2/3 submersion of your typical brisket-style corned beef.

This also explains why Brady's suspension was very suspect, but that's another topic. :D

21. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

More than very suspect

fwiw I never heard of such an elaborate execution of corned beef & cabbage. Only Archtop could come up with skillets, pressure cookers and hot spicy stuff. If you all don't know I'm from Quincy and we make it boiled with cabbage, carrots and potatoes and it all boils in the same pot. Period.

Myself, I make it near St. Patrick's Day and usually 1-2 other times per year as I love all of it and my wife likes the cabbage, carrots & taters.

Is this the Dead thread or the other one?!?!

Cuz I spun disc 1 of Dick's 36 (9/21/72) and it's so great plus knowing the other 3 discs are as good or better the more they jam it out. Even the songs I don't love are great as it HAS to be absolute peak Jerry playing wise and the sound of that Alligator guitar. I do know the PITB and the 37:08 Dark Star are all-time versions. So great so if this is the Other music thread, maybe I never post here again and I call sell my xxxx non-Dead CDs

Plus can I say again.....we'll never mind

22. Archtop

The Dark Star is over the top great. This is my Media Player entry: Dark Star--> Mind Left Country of Spain Jam (28:15-) Fanfreakintasticophied!!!-->

Also, check out the beginning of Dew and how Bobby's ES-335 tone meshes with the Nash Strat. Perfect.

And I've done the one pot boil many times. I just prefer to get everything going at once, so since the potatoes were babies, I tossed them in the oven with salt, pepper, cajun seasoning and olive oil drizzle. Same for the acorn squash. Then I simply tended the cabbage for 90 minutes on low as the pressure cooker rocked gently.

23. budwhite

Not much for musicals really but this is an amazing performance.
    Björn and Benny(ABBA) wrote the musical Kristina från Duvemåla based on the beloved books by author Willhelm Moberg about a poor farmer family that left Sweden for America in the 1800s.
    Performed in Minnesota,(where the books is set and where many Scandinavians ended up) for an american crowd. Look at the lady at the right hand side of the screen, she is totally spellbound by Helen's performance.
    The swedish lyrics is very strong, the english version You have to be there is kinda lost in translation me thinks but still pretty good
    It's about questioning your faith when life is hard and you lost a child.
    Du måste finnas translate to you must(have to) excist. Quite the difference to you have to be there

24. budwhite

English version

Scopitone likes this.
  25. budwhite

Ok, enough with musicals, it's Saturday night. Time to have a smoke and a double whisky and watch Pineapple express or The Big Lebowski or maybe blast Powerage or Master of reality

:winkgrin:

Crispy Rob likes this.