Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That show was just "released" on bittorrent earlier this year. Great show with Kreutzmann on drums.

Billy_Sunday and budwhite like this.
  2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

yes, the sb. jerry moore's aud has been around forever. needless to say I was blown away when the sb came around. that band is still my favorite jg side project.

anyone else here beside me see Garcia & wales? also a pretty interesting show but a little disjointed. I saw the nyc show. it was my first time at the academy of music.

budwhite likes this.
  3. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Yeah I remember the New Years sit in, but I thought one of the Academy shows was her first as a full-time member. I'll look for that old interview (where she talks about Keith joining before her) when I get home, I don't think it is online.

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. uzn007

Way before my time. I had a bootleg of their show in Boston (with Mahavishnu opening) and thought it was awful. Disliked the album, too. My least-favorite Garcia side project by a huge margin. Wales is a total hack, IMO.

5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Beautiful jam 71-02-18
    Peggy-O 78-04-12

DrLunchbox likes this.
  6. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I knew it would have to be a Peggy-O, if anything could be "Jerry's Prettiest Solo". :love:

Billy_Sunday and ianuaditis like this.
  7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

There's at least two other amazing solos in Peggy-O's from April '78

Scopitone likes this.
  8. davmar77

and now for something completely different.

Dennis0675 and JRM like this.
  9. uzn007

Listening to this now, and someone in the left channel plays a nice blues solo on Jelly Roll's first vocal tune. I'm not sure if Fogerty is stepping out or if someone else came onstage for the second set.

10. uzn007

Haven't listened to it (thanks for posting, though!) but this comment sums up my impression of Wales pretty well:

davmar77 likes this.
  11. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Of course if Camp Garcia wants to release a 1971 gem before getting to 1972, I guess I would be OK with that too :)

Crispy Rob, Scopitone and budwhite like this.
  12. uzn007

OK, I have listened to it now. The first ~8 minutes of "Dark Star" are basically unlistenable, but it smooths out after that. They don't stick too closely to the main "Dark Star" theme, but as long as they're basically following Wales' lead, it's not too bad. OTOH, he doesn't seem willing or able to follow anyone else's musical lead, which is a distinct impediment for someone with limited chops such as his.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Scopitone likes this.
  13. davmar77

Assuming that's the 12/28/72 show, jelly roll brought a friend along on guitar so that's probably who you hear.

uzn007 likes this.
  14. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Where did you fit into all of this?

Donna: "Well, they asked me to sing right away, but somewhere in my ignorant wisdom I said I wanted Keith to do it first, so he did two tours and I stayed home. I really wanted him to get to do it first. So Keith and I went into this as green and as innocent as we could be. I'd never sung before an audience before, really, and Keith had only done very small gigs. We had no idea what joining a band of the magnitude of the Grateful Dead would mean. And the Dead is more than just a regular band, too. It's this whole…extended reality. It's not just a band, but a way of life."

Do you remember your first show?

Donna: "My first show was at the Academy of Music in New York City, for a Hell's Angels party. The first song I sang with them was How Sweet It Is, which they quit singing right after that. It was so much fun, and it turned out it wasn't intimidating at all."

laf848, Crispy Rob, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  15. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Yes, and I had tried a few different searches before finally coming up with a couple of articles about the 2008 decision that finally dissolved the initial Jerry Garcia Estate LLC, which had to be formed by an arbitrator in the first place. The case seems to have become somewhat famous as an example of a contentious estate.

What I would like to know is, given that the current incarnation of the Garcia website and the Garcia Live series of releases seem to be run by the Garcia Family LLC (the kids plus clifford,) does that mean a rival website or a separate series of releases curated by the Koons camp could come out? Or is she just collecting her cut of their efforts? And if the latter is the case, why not let the entity that is releasing the material have control of the tapes? The will gives the executor (koons)sole authority to sell any portion of the estate, but all the various legal maneuvering seems to have altered that. Anyway, i guess it remains to be seen what will happen, I just hope it doesn't take too long.

16. ianuaditis

I wanted to share this, which was in the comments of the Lost Live Dead article on the Hartbeats at the Family Dog:

Terry Nails:
    'I remember Jerry being at the California hall gig because of an amusing incident that happened backstage. Neither Bob or I smoked pot, but we always rolled our own cigarettes. We both used to smoke target tobacco. I had just finished hand rolling a cigarette when Bobby came off the stage. I had just lit it when he asked me for a drag of it. ( it was not uncommon to share a cigarette with somebody back in those days)anyway, Jerry stepped up and intercepted it before I could hand it to him and thinking it was a joint took a huge hit off of it. Needless to say he wasn't particularly happy when he found out it wasn't a joint. at the time I felt pretty bad about it, but in hindsight it was pretty funny.'

Lost Live Dead: "Hartbeats" Family Dog On The Great Highway, San Francisco, CA August 28, 1969 »

(that happened at the 6/11/69 gig, but was on the article for this show. I have to listen to this a couple more times before I form an opinion about the organ playing. It's loud in the mix, but this is definitely an interesting listen. I feel its more compelling than some of the 68 Hartbeats tapes.)

Dahabenzapple and budwhite like this.
  17. Jomay

Jomay Forum Resident

I like the eclectic nature of his song selections, particularly the covers on s/t

budwhite likes this.
  18. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Thanks for the rec. I listened to it last night-very enjoyable!

19. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

After I leave Red Rocks I am going to spin Shining Star - its been awhile since I spun that set

20. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

"Jerry Garcia could hear the song in all my bad recordings, the song that was buried there." - Dylan

[​IMG]
    1. It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry (acoustic) – 5:38
    2. Tears of Rage – 8:19
    3. Going, Going, Gone – 18:56

21. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Bonddm likes this.
  23. ianuaditis

Crazy to me that there have been 40 pages of posts on this thread since I first posted in mid July. (of course, that's like a week of the Grateful Thread.)

I read through most of the old pages, got a kick out of some of the 'Jerry Who?' posts from before the thread title was changed.

Anyhow, I've been listening to a bunch of versions of "the Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' to contribute to the 'covers that got the lyrics wrong' thread, and I came across 4-2-1976 from the Capitol Theater in NJ on Youtube.

Anyone know who is the male voice singing bass on the chorus? Keith Godchaux maybe? The video stays on Jerry, Donna and Kahn more or less the whole time.

This song is also a great example of Kahn's bass playing.

Billy_Sunday, budwhite and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I almost certain that Keith and Donna were both in the band at that point.

25. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Thanks, I'm hoping it may eventually be re-packaged and re-released like the Buffalo Springfield box, amongst others.

laf848, highway and Dennis0675 like this.