The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Wow he Archtopped the snot out of that. Killer snag for the blog, kudos.

Tip of the cap to @warewolf95 for the spidey sense on that Truckin'.

3. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Well we're connected on LinkedIn, so that's pretty serious....

In all honesty, no. I just emailed him, pitched the idea, and was happy when he said yes. I asked Dave Lemieux too, but he politely declined, saying he was too busy.

4. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

#roots

"Don't Ease Me In" was originally recorded by Henry Thomas, who generally traveled under his hobo moniker Ragtime Texas. The child of slaves, Thomas lived in East Texas and worked on the Texas-Pacific Railroad. He was middle-aged when he made his only recordings.

5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

There must have been a blue heron on his lawn.

6. ianuaditis

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

He played the Truckin' jam on the Dead Hour in 1993. I was already becoming a Dead fan but that did a lot to make me interested in the band.

8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Must be cutting a secret album with Dylan

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. ianuaditis

lol, I spent probably a couple of hours doing google searches and reading Garcia interviews on Light into Ashes site, without finding the quote I'm going to post.

Today I was re-reading one of those "I don't get Phil Lesh" threads on Talkbass, and there it was:

"Rhythmically, our policy is that the one is where you think it is. It's a kind of zen concept, but it really works well for us."
    -Jerry Garcia

I kind of forget what I was going for with it now, I think it was that if the GD didn't worry so much about the one, you shouldn't worry about having more than 10 'top ten' moments. I have at least 15 'top 10 Dark Stars.'

10. Archtop

I spent several years on talkbass fairly actively. I gradually faded away because it seems to be populated at 90% by people trying to learn how to play bass, 7% by people who are compelled to tell you that what you're doing is "incorrect," 2% by people who re-post the same thing to every question, and 1% by truly creative musicians who understand that, if you play bass, bass is whatever you choose it to be.

And yes, I have about 50 Top 10 GoGD moments, and growing (albeit at a gradually diminishing rate).

11. ianuaditis

Talkbass was my #1 internet destination for the 3-4 months before I discovered this wonderful forum.

I give Talkbass credit for rekindling my enthusiasm for bass, my first instrument, but a bass forum where Phil Lesh is not widely appreciated is kind of like a Food/Cooking forum where no one likes bacon.

12. Archtop

There are a few folks over there that get it. I actually have a screen shot on my computer with three threads about Phil Lesh being on the first page over there. Of course, one was "I'm not bashing Phil Lesh," which was a thread that bashed Phil Lesh.

The other complexity was those threads that ask how to play like Phil Lesh. My best advice would be:
    1. Read the Tibetan Book of the Dead
    2. Build a time machine
    3. Choose wisely

13. Spinning wheel

Spinning wheel Forum Resident

My first show... and long a favorite listen. I wore out quite a few cassettes back in the day. I probably have committed every note this show and 12/31/72 to memory, and that only enhances the listening experience.

14. JRM

"This CD was produced using the original 7" reel-to-reel soundboard tapes running at 7.5 IPS and 15 IPS. It is a snapshot of history and not a modern professional recording, and may therefore exhibit some minor technical anomalies. We have, however, aimed to make it just exactly perfect, as Dick would have liked it."

[​IMG]

Disc 2
    Estimated Prophet >
    Eyes of the World >
    Playing in the Band >
    The Wheel >
    Playing in the Band​

15. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Ooh, I like the looks of that Dick's 18 sequence. Very much.

16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I'll have what he's having.

Bingo, warewolf95, US Blues and 6 others like this.
  17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I still struggle with their sound but yes, this is a really good version with Jerry on top of things

warewolf95 and Mad Dog like this.
  18. budwhite

Only Wheel of '78 I think. A great sequence

19. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

You mean you struggle with post-1990 sound?

warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  20. budwhite

Right. I recognize the good playing in 1990 for example but I don't care very much for the sound.

warewolf95, vudicus and JRM like this.
  21. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Resident

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. JRM

#roots

Born into extreme poverty in Jonesboro, Georgia in 1896, Jesse Fuller never knew his parents, and was brought up by a couple who treated him "worse than a dog." He managed to get out of the house at age 9 and work as a cow grazer outside of Atlanta. He eventually worked his way west, taking odd jobs and singing along the way.

An interesting aspect of his talent was that he made some of his own musical instruments, including a huge standup bass called a fotdella, which he would play with his right foot in solo performances. Weir talks about this before the 2/14/70 Monkey and the Engineer (another Fuller original).

23. JRM

There was only one in 1979 as well, the last Godchaux show.

24. trd

trd Forum Resident

Show opener too

warewolf95, budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  25. JRM

With Boz Scaggs and John Cippolina. They also sat in on Walkin' Blues, Lovelight and Johnny B. Goode at this veterans benefit. This is the best of the short set imho.

GD also played one set without guests, a compressed setlist:

Alabama Getaway
    Greatest Story Ever Told
    Althea
    Little Red Rooster
    Tennessee Jed
    Truckin'
    Drums
    Space
    Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad
    Not Fade Away

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016