Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Correct. Who knows if that alternate version still exist on tape, but after we heard Andy Jackson about the More tapes, no outtakes besides the material on Dramatis/ation survived.

Although, I have a (possibly weird) theory that the menu music from the 1969 box is "indeed" an excerpt of 'Seabirds'.
    The 'Seabirds' track on the CD is actually an alternative version of 'Quicksilver' which is also included on another DVD's main menu (I believe it's on Continu/ation because of the More movie),
    and maybe both names of the tracks were "swapped" by accident on the staff's logbook during the production of the box set, and so it became mislabeled? And after we found out the 5.1 mix of Meddle was hidden maybe 'Seabirds' is hidden somewhere as well.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  2. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

The "T" isn't the problem. For me it is quite clear the second word isn't "time." To me it sounded like "tires" upon repeated listens (including the chipmunk vocal slowed down), and then working backwards it seemed it must be "'til he tires." Honestly, "killing time" makes more sense than "telly time." That just doesn't seem right, lyrically.

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What about 'Telly Ties' then?^^

4. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

So much speculation about a song that's full of nonsense words and syllables. Has any of you thought it may not be actual words at all?

5. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

I don't hear "Killing time" at all. I hear "Till he tires"

6. Interstellar Overdrive

Interstellar Overdrive Well-Known Member

Not only were they on the cover of Ummagumma after PATGOD, already noted by andrewskyDE, but the band was also on the cover of Saucerful Of Secrets (albeit just one small element embedded in a trippy, cosmic collage). In other words, three of the first four albums.
    Pink Floyd »

andrewskyDE likes this.
  7. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

OK I capitualte on that statement. I wasn't thinking that deep. But we all agree that once they had control of their image they never let anyone see them on an album, and Wembley 74 is after that point.

Sorry for making a big deal out of it, AnderwskyDE. I didn't mean an offhand comment about your art to become an issue of deep discussion

Hey Interstellar Overdrive, I don't count that. It's not like you could pick them out of a lineup using that picture

8. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

I hear "Telly Time", which fits in with the other lyrics.

andrewskyDE and rontoon like this.
  9. Interstellar Overdrive

Not what you were asking for, but reminded me, I think one of the guys on the rear cover is their late road manager, last name Watts. His daughter is the actress from the David Lynch film Mulholland Drive (as well as 21 Grams, King Kong, Eastern Promises, Birdman, etc.), Naomi.
    http://pinkfloydarchives.com/Discog/Sweden/LP/Umma/BC.jpg

Naomi Watts
    Naomi Watts - Wikipedia »

"She is the daughter of Myfanwy ("Miv") Edwards (née Roberts), an antiques dealer and costume and set designer, and Peter Watts (1946–1976), a road manager and sound engineer who worked with Pink Floyd."

"Her father's laugh can be heard in the Pink Floyd songs "Speak to Me" and "Brain Damage" from their 1973 album The Dark Side of the Moon."

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Lost In The Flood likes this.
  10. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Scream thy last scream old woman with a casket
    Blam blam your pointers point your pointers
    Waddle with apples to crunchy Mrs. Stores
    She'll be scrumping for apples on all fours

Fling your arms madly old lady with a daughter
    Flat tops of houses, mouses, houses
    Flittin and hittin and fittin quack quack
    Watching the telly till all hours - telly time!

11. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

There's no syllable in the singing to account for the word "for" in "scrumping for apples on all fours"

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, it's definitely scrubbing bubbles.

13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Tangerine Dream had one or more on their first North American tour in 1977. It was awesome. Glad they took the trouble.

14. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

I actually agree. I should have stated that was from a lyrics site, just to support the idea that many people hear "Telly time".

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I've always heard "telly ties" but that doesn't make sense to me, so I assumed it was "telly time". That's a tough one.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  16. Interstellar Overdrive

You discussed it, we're discussing it, if it isn't "an issue of deep discussion for you", no need to assume it is for anybody else. It may be of mild interest to some, and the original point only drew a couple casual asides initially (besides the last two :cool:).

Whether you "count it" (which you bring up AFTER professing not wanting to drill down into a deep digression) or not, it's factually incorrect to say they weren't on any covers after PATGOD - you may be making an assumption that people are looking at the image on a phone, small computer screen or CD cover. People used to have these things called, what were they again (paging Al Bum to the white courtesy phone in the lobby!)? Below is a better/bigger image - you can click on it to expand the image*.
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81Xf9D-0aYL._SL1300_.jpg

Easiest Nick in cowboy hat second from left, looks like Dave far left and the rather long faced visage of Roger in profile second to right (not sure if, by process of elimination, Rick is on the far right and more in the foreground?). It's not exactly like they secretly microdot hidden in the dot of the *i*.

{Sorry if this was putting to fine a point on things, it's juts a pet peeve when somebody nitpicks than implies OTHERS shouldn't nitpick}

* Blade Runner image enhancement scene (one of my favorites from my favorite film)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  17. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

Almost looks like Barrett on the right, and yeah Roger's blockhead is hard to miss, but I doubt that'd be good enough to cash a check with. Not to mention I'm looking at it WAY bigger digitally than on the actual cover of the....oh what are those things called again?

I love the impossible image enhancement in that scene. It takes a reflection in the distance, unwarps it, goes around a doorframe, moves stuff out of the way. I bet forensic photographers would kill to have Esper analysis. If you really zoomed in on a polaroid like that you'd see nothing but grain

18. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

The guy on the far left looks pretty creepy to me. He looks like he could have been on the cover of the movie Scream or something.

19. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

As Andrew and Prognastycator have said, Systyphus, Julia Dream and See-Saw have mellotron, respectively brass, flute and strings (See-saw has a hint of brass as well - middle of first verse, right channel).

SOS has brass on 'Something else' and strings on 'Celestial voices'.

The three other studio songs with mellotron :
    It would be so nice (Piano)
    Embryo (Flute)
    Mind your throat please (Brass)

And those BBC tracks have a hint of mellotron behind the organ layer :
    Murderotic Woman (Strings)
    Massed gadgets of Hercules (Strings)
    All from june 1968 session.
    Oddly, they didn't use the 'tron for Julia Dream.

Mellotron could have many settings, and many different sound banks, but yes, strings, flute, brass and choir were the most common.

And, yes Andrew, Lindy Mason played the flutes on Grand Vizier :)

20. johnjohnstone

johnjohnstone Forum Resident

I've done just this and am in the middle of painting it up. Note that the promotional item is based on the wrong model of Bedford van ... the roof on the Pink Floyd van is smooth whereas the promotional van has corrugations and is the Trackside version

21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

This is surprisingly accurate for a lyrics site. But it much easier to hear it now with the new version and the slowed down copies. So, as said, it's scrubbing bubbles. And the 'Flittin and hittin..' line is something like – Piddle and Tiddle (are) sitting fat tat tat :

She'll be scrubbing bubble on all fours

Flat tops of houses, mouses' houses
    Piddle and Tiddle (are) sitting fat, tat tat (
    OR ..at ..at)
    Watching the telly 'till all hours - telly time!

22. cubist

cubist Forum Resident

I always hear the line as "watching the telly till all hours, silly child"

Sytze likes this.
  23. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

I hear 'grouchy' not 'crunchy', and it could just as well be 'Mrs Dawes' or 'Mrs Dors' [perhaps an obscure reference to Diana Dors ;-)]

24. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Atom Heart Mother (Mind Your Throats Please).

I was convinced I heard one in Echoes the last time I played it, but can't find anything to back me up on that.

25. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Me too!