David Bowie's Tonight

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marc Perman, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I put Tonight together with Absolute Beginners in my mind.
    Just didn't like the style of either. The Style Counsel did it better.

But the sound quality of Tonight on the Japan for US (CP35 matrix) is demo disc quality.
    That, and Loving The Alien is why I kept it.

2. One of the (many) reasons I enjoy this forum is how an album (or artist) can be viewed so differently. If there is a limit to this aesthetic relativism, Tonight might be it for me. ;-)

As a huge Bowie fan, I thought Let's Dance was bad enough, but it's a masterpiece in comparison to this shocker. A great songwriter and performer going through the motions - tuneless fragments stitched together as songs, insipid covers, all wrapped in layer upon layer of synthetic drums, keyboards and treated vocals. A horrid mess of album. How anyone in an audiophile forum would want to subject their ears to this is beyond me - I tremble in fear to think what it must sound like through a good system - the lower the fidelity the better with this wretched thing I'd say.

But hey ho - each to their own!

Michael D, yarbles and karmaman like this.
  3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Can't really disagree with that assessment.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Oh, them's fightin' words! :wantsome::wantsome::wantsome:

"Pin Ups" is great stuff - Bowie sounds invested and he gives the songs good arrangements/performances.

"GOK" sounds uninspired, and Bowie offers a vocal that makes it sound like he hopes someone will put him out of his misery...

bobdylansbarber likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

"Blue Jean" is the reason I bought the album in 1984. I couldn't find the 12" single so I had to get the whole album!

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

My dog is cuter! ;)

Marc Perman and Bill Why Man like this.
  7. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Is there someone who bought the US LP at the release day that can kindly tell me the vinyl matrix numbers of his first pressing?
    Thanks!

8. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i can't guarantee it's a genuine first pressing but mine is in the original shrink with a 1984 price sticker, and the "features Blue Jean" hype sticker.
    info as follows:
    Side 1: SJ-1-17138-Z-14 (etched) then a light "#3" (etched) then MASTERDISK (stamped) then "RL" (etched) then "winchester" logo
    Side 2: SJ-2-17138-Z-11 (etched) then a light "#8" (etched) then MASTERDISK (stamped) then "RL" (etched) then "winchester" logo

Giorgio likes this.
  9. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

He should have listened to his mother. There's an interview out there, late 70's I think where Bowie states that he used to think he was better than everyone else, but realised now he was just another artist. It wasn't true at the time he said it, imo, but, from Lets Dance on, Bowie became just another artist. To fully appreciate this you have to have been there from the Ziggy Years at least. He sort of lost the thread, or purposefully let go, post Baal, and never really got it back.

10. I think that's spot on. I have often wondered what happened to the dear old Dame. The fall off was extraordinary - SM to LD is a hell of way down. And yet, LD was tremendously popular, so what do I know?

11. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

You never heard Blackstar?

Tim

12. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Well, unlike Dylan ;) , he continued to build his reputation as the guy with the greatest haircuts in rock history. But I'm sure @JohnnyQuest will post an animated gif to prove quite the opposite :laugh:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  13. Even his god given barnet took a knock in the 80s - remember THAT mullet?

14. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

15. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I like this line up.

MHP likes this.
  16. PaperbackBroadstreet

17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Blue Cactus likes this.
  18. PaperbackBroadstreet

Worst song: God Only Knows (whether intentionally tongue in cheek or not)

Best Song: Blue Jean.

19. Group of One

Group of One Forum Resident

... until about 1994 of course.

micpoc, TonyCzar and scobb like this.
  20. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Agree, Pin Ups is great. I love it. It has a uniquely English feel and captures the zeitgeist of that era superbly. Not a fan of Tonight.

21. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

93 wasn't it? Good memories of BTWN, BOS and Outside (loved Jump They Say and Buddha of Suburbia tracks) but later there was increasingly too much for me that was nostalgic, morose or melancholic.

strummer101 likes this.
  22. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

No. Unable to listen to David till early last December with Hunk Dory.

TonyCzar likes this.
  23. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

He kind of became for a while the entertainer his old manager Ken Pitt wanted him to be. I've no real beef with Bowie, he'd done more than enough by SM.

karmaman likes this.
  24. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

He should have gone to bobdylansbarber.

25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

You've probably been warned already, but yeah, don't belly-flop in the deep end with "Blackstar". ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.