Beatles - Liked 'em as a kid but now...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tripecac, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

Loved them as a kid...
    ...built a church in their honor as an adult. :winkgrin:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    DrBeatle likes this.
  2. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

That's fair. But on the other side, I have seen this type of sentiment expressed: 'I know this is hard for you to believe, but not everybody loves them as much as you do, in fact...'

3. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

I've seen that as well, although usually in the following context:

"I love the Beatles."

"I don't like the Beatles."

"You're wrong. The Beatles are great. You're just being a hipster."

"I know this is hard for you to believe..."

"Your opinion means nothing."

*Somebody gets warning.*

Tamla Junkie likes this.
  4. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

The greatness of the Dave Clark Five is finally emerging into the public consciousness ...

5. Tamla Junkie

Tamla Junkie Forum Resident

Thank you! I wanted to comment on the appropriation/theft of black musical culture by white artists but couldn't think of a more palatable way to put it.

The7thStranger likes this.
  6. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

The Beatles: "Liked 'em as a kid but now...", as an adult, I have come to appreciate their contribution to music even more.
    With age comes wisdom.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  7. Dexter

Dexter Forum Resident

There will never be a bigger band. The toppermost of the poppermost. However, I don't listen to them much anymore because I've heard every song soooooo many times.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  8. Django

Django Forum Resident

Well I never heard a full album. I just knew certain songs from hearing them over the years.

Diamond Dog likes this.
  9. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I liked the Beatles as a kid and loved them as a teenager and young adult. I never stopped liking their music but I did overplay some of their records (Revolver, Magical Mystery Tour, etc.) so they have not been in heavy rotation for the past, say, 10 to 12 years.

The same thing has happened with other music I was very fond of at some point -- Genesis, The Police, Duran Duran, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Beach Boys, the Who, the Stones, etc.

I listen to different types of music now and my experience is that giving those records some resting time sometimes allows me to enjoy them again when they resurface.

RogerB likes this.
  10. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I grew up with several older cousins and this is always etched in my memory, whenever Beatles is mentioned or if a song came on, one of them would make exaggerated guitar playing motions which to this day really ticks me off.

Also he was making mix tapes and happened to record the song "Middle Of The Road" by the Pretenders from the radio, and since he did not knew who the artists were he concluded it was a Beatles song.

11. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Been listening since 1964... and I'm not going anywhere.

Vinyl Socks and Sidewinder43 like this.
  12. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

And that story is important to the history of the world, in my opinion.
    I love The Beatles and Motown, so I listen to both. Putting on some Supremes right now.
    How The Beatles' music moves me and affects me goes above and beyond the call of duty by any band I can think of. My personal history includes that music (The Beatles) shaping me as an individual. There will be no reconsidering that line of thinking because no other band is intertwined with my DNA from birth like The Beatles.

If it's -20 outside, and you need to be outside for a prolonged period of time, just put your headphones on and crank up The Beatles - their music will keep you warm, increase your heart rate, and possibly keep you alive (personal experience :agree:). If I were a doctor, I would prescribe The Beatles for healing and rejuvenation.

Viva la Beatles!!!

13. Tamla Junkie

We all have different experiences in life. You were positively altered by the Beatles; I have been shaped (and I'm still being shaped) by that Motown sound.

I'm the son of a Detroit DJ; it's practically in my blood. My father plays Motown and other Detroit soul records (from obscure to chart toppers) all the time and always has.

What bothers me is the fact that some fans can't handle it when the Beatles are criticized. They were human, and their output reflects that I'm sure. They probably recorded some great records, some drek, and whole bunch of mediocre stuff. That's OK. I'm very critical of Marvin Gaye's work, not because I dislike him, but because I love his work. He recorded a lot of garbage. And some real gems. And even a bunch of mediocre filler. I'm fine with that.

Whereas I've never met a Mary Wells or Marvin Gaye fan who can't handle criticisms of their favorite artist, a lot of Beatles fans act as though it's some personal attack, or start attacking anyone critical of a Beatles record in retaliation.
    Why the hell should a Beatles fan care that I think their output is garbage? I'm sure a lot of you guys wouldn't like the Satintones, that doesn't alter my enjoyment of them though.

Spruce and The7thStranger like this.
  14. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

A lot of people take it personally when you insult an artist that's near and dear to them. That's just human nature. And many people believe there are certain artists who have achieved a 'sacrosanct' status, like the Beatles, Sinatra, Elvis, Hendrix and so on. Saying you're not a fan of them is not a big issue for those people, but calling the output 'garbage' is. Just my opinion.

The7thStranger and Sidewinder43 like this.
  15. Tamla Junkie

My response to those individuals would be to get over it.

You could call "What's Going On" garbage and I simply wouldn't care. I think it's the greatest album ever released, a pinnacle of musical achievement even, but I wouldn't loose any sleep if someone called it garbage or worse. I'd still enjoy the record just the same.

No music is "sacrosanct" and no musician should be exempted from criticism, no matter how thoughtful or thoughtless it may be.

To seriously suggest that some artists enjoy some exalted status that makes criticism of their work some terrible thing is the height of arrogance. When do we add *insert artist of your choice here* to that list? The Archies? Glenn Campbell? Eilert Pilarm? William Hung? The Doodletown Pipers? Where does it end?

16. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Everybody's wired differently, it's as simple as that. You have your views, other people have theirs.

17. The7thStranger

I generally agree with what you've written except for this. I've gotten some fairly nasty, personally cruel messages for saying I dislike The Beatles. Can't say that's ever happened when dealing with even the most obnoxious of fanbases, including the notorious Little Monsters and Beyhive.

Tamla Junkie likes this.
  18. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I never paid a lot of attention to them when I was young. My parents had a few albums that were spun at home but they were background noise to me. The older I get the more I appreciate them, I've been listening to them a lot over the last year or so.

19. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I haven't seen these types of posts since I joined the forum, but obviously that's just ugly, inexcusable behavior on their part.

The7thStranger likes this.
  20. The7thStranger

Agreed. I've tried to take on somewhat of a (heh) let it be attitude towards the subject over the past few months. I used to be somewhat as self-righteous in defending Madonna, particularly around Lady Gaga's rise to fame, until I finally got it through my thick skull that the opinions of others don't change my own enjoyment of music.

Tamla Junkie likes this.
  21. Tamla Junkie

THIS. My father recieved a death threat after making a crack about the Abbey Road album on the air when it first came out. I've never met a Marvin fan that insane... but plenty of Beatles fans I wouldn't put such behavior past.

22. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Liked them as a kid, but now love, respect, and appreciate them more than I ever thought I would. I have a very wide range of tastes including Motown, and I own and listen to all the genres I love. As Neil Young says, "It's all the same song!" The same song through different MO's, ways of expressing it.

23. The7thStranger

That sadly does not surprise me in the least. What people like that, who have entirely lost touch with reality, don't understand is that it only helps push people away. It's like trying to convince your partner you love them by beating them.

Tamla Junkie likes this.
  24. The7thStranger

That said, this might be the most level-headed and respectful thread on this subject that this forum has ever seen.

Tamla Junkie likes this.
  25. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

My enjoyment of any music will never be lessened by the suggestion of others. So let's call a truce, I'll keep listening to my Motown records, and you dig up some Beatles. Spread the love!

sgb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.