Poll : 'Rock Around the Clock' album by Bill Haley & His Comets in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I have From The Original Master Tapes on cd.

2. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

An awesome CD in terms of sound and content, I do miss not having Skinnie Minnie, but that is a very minor quibble.
    I believe that cd is the only one that contains the "count in" intro to Rock Around The Clock.

steveharris likes this.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

No music by Bill Haley & His Comets at all, but he pretty much invented rock and roll, so I can't say enough about him. The solo in Rock Around the Clock is also one of the best, ever.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I wish most every Rock track was as well recorded as Bill Haley & The Comets/ Rock Around The Clock was. Play this on cornerhorns, and you will be amazed at how bigger than life it sounds. Nothing sounds like full track, 30 IPS mono does.

5. Jason Pumphrey

The Pythian Temple had incredible acoustics.
    A few other artists also recorded there, Buddy Holly being one.

Jazz Samba was recorded at a church in Washington DC, also some great acoustics!

McLover likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Pythian Temple was a superb recording venue. And the later move to too much multitracking degraded sonics, this era of recording at it's best never got topped.

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  7. Jason Pumphrey

Those recordings by Bill Haley & the Comets using the slap bass always sounded like a percussion track to me, it was not till years later that I got my education for my uncle who is a big rockabilly fan telling me that the slap sound is the percussion affect, I thought it was drums all those years!

McLover likes this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I don't have any, but I listen to this song 5 nights a week, as I 've been watching the reruns of "Happy Days".

vinnie and Jason Pumphrey like this.
  9. Jason Pumphrey

Also add American Graffiti, the Blackboard Jungle, and the film of the same name!

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have this album and cd, also all the songs pretty much from singles on 78rpm.

11. Jason Pumphrey

Erick Labson did a pretty good job remastering the album in 2004.
    Usually I am not a fan of his work, but he did a good job with Rock Around the Clock.

12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Really? I'll have to rewatch the Blu ray, I don't remember that... :righton:

13. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Only have the title song Rock Around the Clock on a 78 RPM, Decca 29124.

But I have another Haley item that is near and dear to me, this used to be my avatar on this forum. From what I've read, this 78 came out in August 1948, don't know if that's true.

[​IMG]

seed_drill likes this.
  14. Hmm, I don't think I have any Bill Haley in my collection at all.

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I have a fairly substantial Bill Haley collection. In addition to the original Rock Around the Clock album, I've got the 10" Shake Rattle and Roll and the matching Dim Dim the Lights ep, Rock and Roll Stage Show, Rock with Bill Haley on Sumerset, both the lp and ep, Bill Haley's Chicks, Strictly Instrumental, and some singles and CD comps. Weirdly, I'm missing the 45 for Rock Around the Clock, but I have the 78.

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I believe he fell down a flight of stairs. Not sure if he or Johnny Ace get the title of Rock and Roll's first death.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've heard that Bill Haley actually beat Chubby Checker as the popularize of The Twist in Mexico. Anyone have any of those recordings?

18. One of the records that I enjoyed the most as a little kid from the wonderful collection that one of my uncles used to have was this:

[​IMG]

It was the Colombian version of a Dimsa (Discos Mexicanos S.A.) LP -a sublabel of Mexican record company Orfeón- recorded by Bill Haley in 1961 in that country. All but one track are instrumentals. Sadly I don't have the record, but here are some tracks from it:

Bill Haley & His Comets - Cielito Lindo (Twist) »

BILL HALEY Y SUS COM ETAS - CONGA TWIST - [ORFEON OE-3.003] EP. - 1964 »

Rudy's Bill Haley.wmv »

seed_drill likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

possibly Johnny?

20. Nothing by Bill Haley & His Comets, but I have this by Bill Haley & The Saddlemen.

[​IMG]

21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

No, Johnny died Christmas Day, 1954. Cedrone died June 17th, 1954.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, thanks...

23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Must have heard it hundreds of times thanks to Happy Days. A question for the oldies - how was Bill Haley perceived by teens in the 50's as from my perspective he seems kind of dorky compared to the wild rockers such as Elvis The Killer Chuck Berry Little Richard etc.

24. Jason Pumphrey

Bill Haley might have been dorky, but he was Class A dorky all the way!
    I actually thought the spit curl thing was kind of cool, cuz it was something different.

AFOS likes this.
  25. Jason Pumphrey

Incredible musicianship and showmanship!

Culpa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.