"Drive" - R.E.M. song discussion, poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Laibach, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Overrated song on an even more overrated album. And I consider REM's first 4 albums to be among the best albums of the 80s.

moj likes this.
  2. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Boring album opener, ok song, but one of the weaker on the album

3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

The OP's choice of words for the 3rd option in his poll is unfortunate and odd, I wouldn't have used the term "grandiose", since part of one definition for that word is "pretentious" which irredeemably casts that meaning in a negative light.

4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

That's quite a strong accusation about REM's music!

I would assume that you've never really listened to Chronic Town, Murmur, Reckoning, Fables Of The Reconstruction, Lifes Rich Pageant, Document, and Green enough to distinguish between the songs.

I also assume you're just using hyperbole to make a point (perhaps mainly about their latter albums) but I just had to call your bluff.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The arrangement, structure and lyrics are very folk influenced. Especially the lyrics are pure folk based.
    I agree that just using an acoustic guitar does not make it folk influenced but that is not the case here. Heck even Wikipedia that I usually don't rely on for song descriptions calls the song "folk rock"....and they got it right.

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree with you. FGP is as quirky as heck and what drew me to REM. Like I said before, Drive is a nice sounding folk type song but challenging it aint.
    FGP may be my favorite as well.

anthontherun likes this.
  7. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

It sounds like you're an REM fan and have never heard their core 5 original IRS albums + the 1st EP. You owe it to yourself to check those out, as they are another REM world unto themselves. I'll liken it to never having heard Bowie's run between Hunky Dory and Scary Monsters and only knowing him from Let's Dance onwards. Do yourself a favor and grab the records between Chronic Town and Document. I think you'll be pleased. Carry on.

Lewisboogie, lightbulb and moj like this.
  8. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

Poor choice for a single, poor choice for an album opener. I laughed when I first heard this track, and have never come to like it since.

9. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Thread craps are popular in these parts.

lightbulb likes this.
  10. Don't like it very much. Find the River was THE song from that record.

11. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

A heavy and emotional song, imo. I played it a lot when I was suffering from a depression years ago. Without a doubt one of their best songs, if not the best.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Laibach and Carlox like this.
  12. Allchurch

Allchurch Forum Resident

I like the song, but it was a very strange choice to be the first single from the album especially when they had Man on the Moon, Everybody Hurts and The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight to choose from.

katstep and Joey The Lemur like this.
  13. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I was disappointed with this song when the album came out -- but something about the "Ollie, ollie..." part finally hooked me and now I look forward to it. I see it as the perfect opener to one of my favorite albums.

WildHoneyPie9 and Carlox like this.
  14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I like both:)

lightbulb likes this.
  15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"Drive" is great song indeed and it is one of their best. Actually as Im now typing this, I have to state it as following:
    It is my favorite song from them, but of course there are plenty more greats in their catalogue.
    You know as it goes with these great bands, that you sometimes might change the favorites order from time to time.
    I really like the sound and voice of Stipe on "Drive", as I was testing my new setup with new speakers, "Drive" delivered me some great moments.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    John Adam, Lewisboogie and Carlox like this.
  16. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Great album opener, appropriate choice of first single to announce "Automatic for the People". I love the strings. The video was kind of strange.

I remember "Everybody Hurts" as being the "hit" off of "Automatic", but looking at the chart info on Wikipedia, it looks like I'm wrong. "Drive" and "Man on the Moon" both did better on the Alternative and Mainstream Rock charts, and all three did about the same on the overall U.S. chart.

17. Red river bore

Red river bore Well-Known Member

The thing is, I had this big thing about REM when I was a teenager, but then I sort of moved on. I would have happily bought all their stuff back in the day, but then I was a teenager and therefore, had no money.

I hope to buy them some day and give them a spin or two, though...

Laibach, moj, katstep and 1 other person like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

One of the few REM that I like; it has this fantastic atmosphere.

19. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

You will not be disappointed.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  20. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

It used to not be one of my favorites but it has sure grown on me. Actually for a long time when I played the CD I would actually skip it (like another poster said, I wanted to get to Try Not To Breath). But at some point I was listening to Drive and that stinging electric guitar that enters about halfway into the song just grabbed me and wouldn't let go. It's been a favorite ever since.

21. moj

moj Forum Resident

REM and Talking Heads are the two groups I felt most 'let down' in my extended teenage years: I can't listen to anything beyond Lifes Rich Pageant and Remain In Light respectively, though Lord knows I tried. I'm sure things would have been different if I'd come to them later, rather than experiencing each album from first release.

While Drive certainly isn't one of the worst REM songs, it's still a long way from being a Shiny Happy People.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  22. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, I thought it'd be a good idea to relaunch this discussion thread given the imminent reissue of Automatic for the People in a boxset commemorating its 25th anniversary (appearing next Friday) and that it may (or may not) increase people's awareness of the song. The entire album will enjoy greater exposure through the media, who knows maybe new young listeners will discover "Drive" and those of us who have enjoyed it through the years will listen with a different ear given the new remaster and audio mixing.

John Adam and Lewisboogie like this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Probably rhe best song on an album I dont like very much.

24. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

I like the song and it was a good single. That said, there were plenty of even better songs, so at least it didn't fire the best shot first!
    The 12" promo single with the remixed (fast) versions give it a new perspective. So I can say "Drive" has had a good life!

VeeDub likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.