Sturgill Simpson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by emmoashdad, Apr 19, 2013.

1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

A friend of mine who had never heard of him sent me a text right away after seeing SNL. I love Metamodern and Sailor's. Along with Jamey Johnson, Aubrie Sellers, Chris Stapleton and a couple of others I have my first interest in country since Waylon and Willie

2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Yeah, Sturgill Simpson's band really should ditch that Sturgill Simpson dude.

500Homeruns, JL6161 and seaisletim like this.
  3. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Member

He's definitely the weak link...the only one in the band who's cheezy as hell while the others come across as authentic. Just change that horrible name to Sturgill Simpsonless.

Ragu likes this.
  4. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

There is nothing "fake" about Sturgill Simpsons voice.
    Pretty ridiculous stuff here.

5. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

You mean the guy who wrote killer songs, worked his ass off to get "famous" and hired them. They could be a killer bar band and small club band not making a fraction of the $.

Maybe you were being sarcastic also and I'm dumb.

6. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Yes, I'm sure they'll be fantastically successful with no songs, no singer, no major-label recording contract, and no agent. They probably didn't even need a gig when Simpson hired them and just did him a favor.

7. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Member

...except everything he does with it. Every sound he makes, every choreographed stage move, and every nuance he practices is a cliched caricature. He should just SING with his regular voice without trying to DO a voice. He tries too hard. WAAAAAY too hard.

8. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Speaking of trying too hard. . . .

But seriously, you say you've never heard this guy before SNL -- how the heck do you know how his "regular" voice sounds?

9. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Member

When did he quit his job on the Velocity Channel?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

He didn't show it on SNL, but he is a really good flat-picker. He used to be in a bluegrass band. When he sticks to his roots he is damn impressive.

I am lukewarm on the new direction, but he assembled a kick butt band. Maybe he was trying too hard, but he is no phony. I enjoyed the SNL performance regardless.

11. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Member

His band is GREAT. His lameness was cemented when he just HAD to throw down his guitar since the keyboard player had just knocked over his Hammond. Just not an ounce of originality. But, GREAT band.

Ragu likes this.
  12. artfromtex

To anyone who doubts his authenticity, vocal ability or his guitar pickin', watch this:

THAT is some dang good country music!!

black sheriff likes this.
  13. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I think Sturgill will win Album of the Year.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  14. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Member

I wish you hadn't shown me that. At least in the SNL clip he had an energetic band that carried him and made a somewhat unique performance that people are actually talking about. That YouTube clip is just generic modern run-of-the-mill throwaway country with a fake annoying twang New-York-school-of-country-music air of plastic and cheese baked all over it. Yuk.

15. Except he writes incredible songs.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  16. Meow ! Unlike the fake processed annoying twang that comes out of Nashville these days ?

17. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

The guy is good and his band is awesome. End of story.

18. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I am starting to get the feeling that ggoat!!!! does not like Sturgill Simpson.

seaisletim and Mazzy like this.
  19. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

This is a great interview -

20. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Member

No! It is NOT unlike the fake Nashville twang.

It's the EXACT SAME THING!

Annoying overdone nauseating purposely over-enunciated played out unnatural lame fake twang!

21. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I'm starting to get the feeling that ggoat!!! should change his name to ttroll!!!

Crazyhorse11, ShawnX, Subvet and 3 others like this.
  22. After watching him on SNL this weekend, I ordered all his albums.

500Homeruns and vonseux like this.
  23. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

I guess having an awesome back band is s rare feat oh yeah, so kudos for him
    I was depressing watching a performance of Matthew E. WHite (his debut one of the best records of the decade) and they sounded like a crappy cover band, it almost made me never listening to the album again.
    In a less dramatic level, Andrew Bird's can be a hit or miss depending if he has the right guys playing with him.

24. Have you seen him live ?

My point is about the processed Nashville songwriting for hire thing that's there (and in LA) where an "artist" is manufactured . Now I'm not against pro songwriting ( Brill building and so on) but Simpson is the real deal and has developed his own hybrid style over time. He's definitely country but always says his influences are Otis Redding and concept rock albums like Sgt Pepper and Dark Side.

He's amazing live in concert too.

But if it's not your thing then that's cool.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  25. artfromtex

I could not diagree more.

Did you watch the whole thing? I don't hear anything like "Railroad of Sin" in today's country scene.

ianuaditis, Subvet and Mazzy like this.