Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I suspect it was recorded but held off of the album. Driving Rain has some interesting outtakes. One of Paul's guitarists said a song they recorded called "Always Be There" that sounds very Beatleish, but obviously, that wasn't on the album. I think it's possible that "India" also fits in to that outtake category too.

2. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I fondly remember walking into Camelot Music at the local mall the day Flowers In The Dirt was released to buy it and hearing "Rough Ride" playing on the speakers in the store. I loved it then and still love it. To me, that was an underrated song on the album.

EricSwan, gja586, Shak Cohen and 5 others like this.
  3. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

And I remember picking up the CD in Record World, also on the release date and since I couldn't wait to get it home, I ran to K-Mart (in the same mall) and put it on one of the display stereos! I wasn't too crazy about Rough Ride (still not), but I did really like the album as a whole (still do!) :edthumbs:

4. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

Surely there is someone on these forums who ordered it from that commercial just to get the poster. Come on, admit it!

5. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

Absolutely! And who knows -- maybe something like this will be part of Capitol's "comprehensive" plan -- to be unveiled in about 6 months!

6. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

You mention "a couple" of bonus discs but then list seven! A couple would be much more in line with the Cash and Dylan boxes.

Considering how many songs McCartney has that were originally non-LP but are not truly rare (like the 36 bonus tracks on the 1993 Paul McCartney Collection CDs, enough to fill two CDs on their own), I can't see there being room for many real rarities on a "complete albums" set.

7. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Yep. I've always found Billboard to be a manipulated, worthless rag, much like People magazine. And it's so damn expensive. That's lame.

8. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

A 'Past Masters' type of release would be nice with all those non-album single mixes that are unique. He could finally remaster "Give Ireland Back To The Irish" since it sounds murkier than anything else he's released.

9. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

My list of what a box set might encompass is longer than yours, which is why I think Capitol is going to lean more to the Bowie route of 10 disc sets, each with a DVD as the last… which would result in:
    1. McCartney, Ram (stereo), Ram (mono), Thrillington, Wild Life, Wings Over Europe (2 CD), Red Rose Speedway, plus a disc of bonus studio tracks & b-sides and one DVD of promo films from the era
    2. James Paul McCartney, Band On The Run, Band On The Run audio documentary (from the 25th anniversary), One Hand Clapping, Venus And Mars, Wings At The Speed Of Sound, Wings Over America (2 CD), plus a disc of bonus studio tracks & b-sides and one DVD of promo films from the era
    3. London Town, Back To The Egg, Wings' Last Flight (2 CD), McCartney II: The Unreleased Version, McCartney II, Tug Of War, Pipes Of Peace, plus a disc of bonus studio tracks & b-sides and one DVD of promo films from the era
    4. Give My Regards To Broadstreet, Press To Play, Press To Play: The Remixes (a b-side set), Return To Pepperland: The Lost 1987 album, Choba B CCCP, The McCartney/Costello Demos, Flowers In The Dirt, B-Sides In the Dirt, plus a disc of additional studio tracks & b-sides from the era and one DVD of promo films from the era
    5. Tripping The Live Fantastic (2 CD), Unplugged (The Official Bootleg), Off The Ground, Off The Ground: The Complete Works (the 2nd CD), Paul Is Live, The Royal Academy Of Music Show, Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest, plus a disc of bonus studio/live tracks & b-sides and one DVD of promo films from the era
    6. Oobu Joobu: Ecology, Flaming Pie, Rushes, Run Devil Run (stereo), Run Devil Run (mono), Live At The Cavern, Liverpool Sound Collage, Driving Rain, plus a disc of bonus studio tracks & b-sides and one DVD of promo films from the era
    7. Driving Rain, Back In The US/World (2 CD), Live At Abbey Road, Chaos And Creation In The Backyard, The Space Between US (2 CD), Memory Almost Full, plus a disc of bonus studio tracks & b-sides and one DVD of promo films from the era
    8. Live At The Amoeba, Electric Arguments, Electric Arguments: The Remixes, Good Evening New York (2 CD), Complete Kisses (2 CD), New (special edition 2 CD), plus a disc of bonus studio tracks & b-sides and one DVD of promo films from the era
    9. Paul McCartney's Liverpool Oratorio (2 CD), Paul McCartney's Standing Stone, Working Classical, Ecce Cor Meum, Ocean's Kingdom, Ocean's Kingdom: Live In New York, plus a disc of bonus studio tracks & b-sides and one DVD of promo films related to the classical music
    10. The Paul McCartney Anthology volume one: Wings 1970-1980 (4 CD)
    11. The Paul McCartney Anthology volume two: The Linda Years 1980-1997 (2 CD)

10. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

What about copying The Beatles' Singles Collection, Kylie Minogue's Time Capsule set, or any other singles set — each single on a mini-disc in a replica sleeve? When you throw in some promo versions and you'd end up with a large set that some fans would be willing to drop a lot of coin on!

11. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

No brainer. I wonder if an expanded hot hits and cold cuts with assorted b sides, etc. could still be done. Round up all the different mixes and have them on cd, lp, and as an automatic download (like with Amazon for example).

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. PaperbackBroadstreet

I like this idea too.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I had high hopes for this release... but now when I have to buy the ultra expensive box I'm not sure I'm in. The b-sides should have been disc two in the double CD set! Oh well, a tleast the original CD sounds good and the poorer sounding 1993 PM Collection rerelease is an option. it is what it is.

Edit: Just ordered the 1993 disc...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

So far I have bought all the 2/3 disc special editions of the archive release series and the deluxe box set of McCartney II.

Flowers In The Dirt would have been my second box set ... but no b-sides - no deal.

Strange decision to offer them as a download only.

I'm glad that I own the complete 1993 Paul McCartney CD collection.

And ... Driving Rain is a great album.

"I Do", "Magic" and "Your Way" are some of my favourite Macca tunes.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's worthless - and you're mad it costs so much? Isn't that like Woody Allen's "the food is terrible - and such small portions" joke? :D

16. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I'm just commenting on the fact that I'm always getting Billboard mailers for yearly subscriptions and I'm always curious as to why it costs so damn much. They ALWAYS get thrown out.

17. PaperbackBroadstreet

I would buy this too.

Isn't it sad that fans are putting more thought into the as opposed to mpl themselves?

Mr. Explorer and Peter_R like this.
  18. daveidmarx

Jeez, ya think?? o_O

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. PaperbackBroadstreet

Indeed.

20. PaperbackBroadstreet

Sadly true. Post 1985 McCartney's top ten US fortunes were commercially done (recent major collaborations notwithstanding).

Still lonely road had the best shot imho.

Wingsfan2012 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  21. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Having recently purchased the Japanese 2-CD edition of FITD, I listened to the album in full for the first time in...wow, it has to be more than a decade since I've heard some of the songs here. I've always considered it one of his most overrated projects, with a really strong first half and a total dud of a second half minus "This One," which is probably my favorite McCartney song ever...but over the years a lot of his solo tracks that I initially didn't care for have emerged as favorites (hello, "Temporary Secretary"!) so I went in with even-handed expectations.

Curiously, I have to say "Rough Ride" wasn't as good as I remembered it being--never a huge favorite, but I can now relate more to the debate about its quality that was going on in this thread not too long ago. And "How Many People" and "Figure of Eight" are just as cloying as I remembered--the single version of the latter is clearly superior, but I've never really found the song itself very exceptional. But as I hoped for, a song that I'd previously written off as horrible won me over after an extended vacation from my ears: "Motor of Love." Yeah, the metaphor is still pretty cringe-inducing (although I appreciate the spirituality) and it goes on way too long, but wow, that's a great melody. And hey, I can even appreciate the groove of "Ou Est le Soleil" now too. But yeah, "Motor of Love" really moves up in my ranking.

22. PaperbackBroadstreet

Ou est le soleil is silly fun. I would have put The First Stone as the album closer.

Wingsfan2012 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  23. search&destroy

search&destroy Well-Known Member

holding my breath until "wild life" & "red rose speedway" are reissued.:help:

Wingsfan2012, JDeanB and Mr. Explorer like this.
  24. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

If you start to turn blue -- and you will -- maybe take a few cheat breaths along the way. :shh:

25. daveidmarx

Why not Flying To My Home?? It's a fantastic song and the theme of it would work as a closing track.

jricc, JDeanB, theMess and 6 others like this.