Single Versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thecdguy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Richie Lev

Richie Lev Billboard Pop Archivist

I think what you meant is that it was a lossy aac file. As Gems-A-Bems pointed out Itunes does not offer mp3. You are probably right, Itunes was never doing 256 AAC back then so 128 AAC was all they could offer. However, that doesn't mean amazon mp3 or some other sites were not offering downloads at higher bit rates.

It is sad to think that its left off Carrie's greatest hits album, when it is one of her biggest hits. Even the NOW series never incorporated it as they did Kelly Clarkson's Idol version of Piece by Piece.

2. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I could've sworn it was an MP3 file one of the last times I looked at it on my computer, but maybe it wasn't. It was definitely 128 kbps, though, as I definitely remember seeing other people on other forums bemoan the fact the rate was so low.

I guess it's not available anywhere because of it being a charity single. Probably too much red tape having to acquire the rights or something like that. I just don't understand why they couldn't have put it out as a CD single back then, as sales would've helped the purpose of giving to the charity. Her Greatest Hits CD definitely is incomplete without it.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

4. Grant

I only have volume 2.

5. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The demo is Part 1. They were asking about Part 2.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. Richie Lev

I find it hard to believe in this age of internet that someone somewhere never saved the Itunes download or that there never will be a release of the song on any compilation. It really is amazing that other than youtube its vanished off the face of the earth.

7. Richie Lev

On a side note does anyone know where I can pick up the explicit version of Don't by Ed Sheeran on CD? Apparently its out there somewhere, I just can't find the remix disc (Rick Ross?) or where he actually uses profanity on an X CD release.

8. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

My copy:

[​IMG]

9. Richie Lev

What's amazing is that this 2 track version is rare and hard to find. I noticed around 1993 that Phil Collins suddenly had all his compilation albums have the 5:23 version, which neither matches the 45 or the LP version. His HITS! and the new singles compilation are anything but. Its like the real 45 versions are non-existent on CD.

Rich

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  10. Richie Lev

Anyone know where to get the CD version of the 45's of Back To Life by Soul II Soul (3:29) ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Money For Nothing by Dire Straits (4:38)?

I have vinyl versions in nice quality, but neither seems to be on a CD compilation anywhere.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    bataclan2002, thecdguy and c-eling like this.
  11. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have a 4:08 version of Money For Nothing on "Gold And Platinum - The Ultimate Rock Collection 1985-1988".

thecdguy and c-eling like this.
  12. Richie Lev

It seems like those shorter or longer versions are the easiest to get. This one times in at exactly 4:38. Never seen it on CD.

c-eling likes this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Nice, didn't realize a 'long edit' was published, the 1998 comp Sultans contains the 4:10 which I'm assuming is the 'Short Edit'?

14. thecdguy

The 4:10 version I believe was a promo 45/radio edit. The commercial 45 contains the second verse from the album which was completely cut out of the promo/radio edit. I think it was also the same version used for the video.

c-eling likes this.
  15. c-eling

Thanks for the info, interesting :)

thecdguy likes this.
  16. thecdguy

By the way, there is also another edit of "Money For Nothing" which was used as the Vinyl LP version. I believe that version runs around 7:00, more or less. (The version on the CD runs over 8 minutes. Not sure which one was used for cassette copies of the album). The 7 minute version appears to be available on this CD.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-High-Life-15-Affenschrille-Hitbananen/release/2232653

It also contains what I believe may be the single version of Kool & The Gang's "Emergency", which until the recent remaster/expanded edition of the Emergency album, was unavailable on CD.

c-eling likes this.
  17. Grant

I had to create my own 45 version of "Money For Nothing". It was quite easy. I used the Warner Brothers 45 as a guide. Just fade it in, and fade it out at the right points.

18. thecdguy

Not to get too far off topic, but can anyone recommend a good, free music editing program? I'll be getting a new laptop soon and the program I was using on my current laptop came from a disc (Roxio) which is outdated now since it's over 5 yeas old (and I don't even have the disc anymore). Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

19. thecdguy

Does anyone have the vinyl 45 of Bob Seger's "Shakedown"? The reason I'm asking is because I recently came across this video on YouTube which labels the version as "7' Movie Version". The intro is different in this version and I'm not clear if this is the same version that was used for the vinyl 45. Someone in the comments section mentioned that this version was used on the vinyl soundtrack album, but not the CD. I never heard it until I came across it. After the intro, the rest of the song sounds the same as the way we've been used to hearing it all these years.

c-eling likes this.
  20. c-eling

Pretty cool, I like the intro!
    And of course I passed on a clean copy of this on lp from the thrift last summer :sigh:

thecdguy likes this.
  21. Grant

The program I use for editing (crossfade) is Audition because it was made specifically form it and works best for it.

thecdguy likes this.
  22. thecdguy

Grant likes this.
  23. Grant

There's been quite a bit of discussion about this on a forum that caters to stereo aficionados. The overall consensus is that this CD is a must! I checked out the samples on the Eric Records website and they are fantastic.

The technique they used to create stereo mies isn't with the old methods of phase inversion and EQ. There is legit, major-brand software out there that allows one to literally separate elements in a recording to facilitate remixing. It is done with spectral editing. Software like Audition, Sound Forge, and iZotope RX Advanced now offer it so anyone can do it.

24. thecdguy

Technically not the single versions, as these were promo/DJ versions I assume, but I was just wondering if anyone knows if these versions are available anywhere on CD.

Glenn Frey - You Belong To The City (should run about 4:20, cuts out the long saxophone intro on the album version/commercial 45 and fades out earlier)
    Vanessa Williams - Dreamin' (should run about 4:25, cuts out the album version/commercial 45 intro of "I'm living in the middle of a dream..." and begins with the keyboards, also fades earlier on the outro)
    George Michael - Faith (should run about 2:39, simply cutting out the long fade-in & organ intro on the album version/commercial 45).

These versions were the ones I always heard on the radio. In my mind, I consider all of them to be the real single versions, even though their respective 45's were all the album versions. I've seen them all on promo CD's which were either too expensive or not currently available. I figure at least one of them has to be on some kind of Various Artists compilation somewhere.

25. Grant

You should be able to replicate each one of those with some simple editing with a computer program.