Sony Legacy Pop Market (Pt 5)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I picked up another copy of KEA for $10 shipped

2. cjp123

cjp123 Forum Resident

So is Popmarket really a "small company"? I thought they were part of Sony?

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

4. cjp123

cjp123 Forum Resident

That explains some of the changes I don't like--charging when you place the order instead of charging credit card when it ships, customer service getting even worse at responding, no phone number to call, etc. I like supporting independent business and record stores, but I've had several hundred dollars in popmarket purchases never get fulfilled with no response from CS, so I have to go through my credit card company to get my money back.

5. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Man, did that thread digress or what towards the end. Personally, I've had zero issues with PopMarket. IN fact, just got the Richard Thompson box set delivered a few minutes ago in less than a week/at a steal of a price:edthumbs:

lightbulb likes this.
  6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yeah, but how would you feel if you had placed an order on Cyber Monday (late November), had your money deposited at that time, and by mid-January still had no updates on when your stuff is going to ship?

7. putz

putz Forum Resident

Everything is great with PM until it isn't. Then it's a major clusterf**k for those of us who have issues. Too many complaints to just chalk it up to experience. When they can't even respond to repeated email requests something is seriously wrong. Repeat business is crucial to staying in business and when you ignore your customers, it's a recipe for disaster. Lots of serious record buyers on this forum and even the satisfied ones have to be having second thoughts on where to make their next purchase.

Now if they'd just send me my replacement Kinks mono set, I'd have nothing but good things to say about them:tiphat:.

stinsojd likes this.
  8. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Then I'd be mucho PO'd. I've apparently been very fortunate. Ordered 2 more LPs today, hope my time hasn't come.

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i mean they say that, but they're clearly still tied in somehow. stuff ships direct from WEA to my doorstep. popmarket may not have their own office at Sony HQ, but they're definitely not a mom & pop shop. the excuses they provide are pretty lame.

10. I've never really had any issues with Pop Market other than their all-too-often emails. We don't need several emails a day.

marcb likes this.
  11. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Similar story as Putz. The packaging of the kinks set was a joke and it came pretty banged up. They wrote back to me once Dec 20 and are now ignoring me. Unless they resolve this like they said they would I'm never buying anything there again.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  12. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Thread TANGENT:

Spitfire, thanks for the link, but VERY difficult to read:
    1. Literally - maybe it's me, but it's hard to determine when posters quoted previous posts. I found myself reading the same lines repeatedly, wasting time.
    (Unlike the easier to read display here @ SHF.)

2. Poorly moderated - the 2nd post (!) slammed the 1st poster! And it devolved from there, occasionally showing a bit of productive discourse.
    The last page is just trash.

3. Fraudulent posters just discredited everything for me - Popmarket's apparently honest attempt to reach their customers, the lack of proper monitoring by the moderator, foul language... Just utterly confusing, ultimately frustrating, and headache inducing.

Another reason to celebrate the 15th anniversary of this Forum!

13. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Amen Lightbulb. And no, you're not the only one whose head hurt after reading that mess :wtf:
    Getting, more or less, back on point, i.e., deals on Popmarket, I ordered two more "Daily Deal" records yesterday, Tame Impala "Innerspeaker" and First Aid Kit "Stay Gold", got a shipping notice last night. Total, shipped, $24.97 for 2 pretty hot groups and relatively new vinyl. Yea, their E-mails notices get tiresome but I've scored some great music via their Daily Deal e-mails.

lightbulb and superstar19 like this.
  14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I agree that the thread I posted got out of hand pretty quick but I posted it to show that they are no longer owned by Sony and that quite a few people aren't too happy with them.

lightbulb likes this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Ahem.

Maybe it's just me but there is an inverse relationship between my interest in buying from a retailer and the frequency with which I receive emails from them. It becomes the boy who cried wolf. I used to look at all of Popmarket's emails when they were once a day; now I rarely look at any of them. In fact I had them categorized as junk for awhile and I'm ready to do so again now that I realize why I did so in the first place.

16. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Your negative feelings regarding Popmarket is in direct proportion to it not being what it used to be. New ownership equals :thumbsdow

17. lightbulb

One plus of the "old Popmarket" that I sorely miss is the ability to Google any prior sale item, and thereby an old "daily deal".
    That was great, so whenever a new 20% code (once even a 30%) was active, I could search for that old deal from months ago, and apply it.
    (As always, the only downside was if Popmarket was out of stock of the item.)

The tricky challenge was to try to order multiple items, in one Cart, to take advantage of that discount.

18. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

19. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Neil Young is the daily deal today. The latest box set is 50% off, as is Psychedelic Pill, cheapest I've seen either of those.

20. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

are there any new codes?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  21. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

I finally got a response and a replacement "Who Can I Be Now" Box sent...Of course they shipped it in a to small box with a little crumpled up brown paper as protection and it arrived more damaged than the original I received with the seam splits. This has been an exercise in frustration for sure!

22. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

Heckuva deal. Thanks for the heads up!

rtalwani and riverrat like this.
  23. lightbulb

Does anyone know of any discount codes for 20% Off ?
    How about 15% Off?

24. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I personally don't know of any more than 10%. But here is a new one of those:
    NEWpop10

25. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Possibly previously posted:

One thing they will do (happened to me 2x) is, if they notice you've put something in your cart, tried to checkout using an old or previously used coupon, and left without buying, they'll send you a 10%er via E-mail. Not a lot but, combined with a Daily Deal price, free shipping and no tax, it makes for a pretty unbeatable deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.