CD's that have the bonus tracks in the middle of the album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jose Jones, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I like the idea of the bonus tracks in the middle, assuming the album in question originally came out on LP, and assuming they are unique tracks and not alternates. This way, the respective sides are left intact, and the CD ends the same way the album ends.

2. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

The last two Kenny Wayne Shepherd CDs have had them in the spaced in the middle.

I think it's dumb, put em' at the end.

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Somehow, it works for me...that way :)

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Probably not the first, but the Japanese reissue of The Pop Group's Y inserted the single "She Is Beyond Good and Evil" at the beginning. The Rhino reissue added another track at the beginning, but made the original bonus track appear part of the original album.

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it, but Roxy Music's debut has "Virginia Plain" in the middle.

Fullbug likes this.
  6. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

The original Shot of Love LP by Bob Dylan didn't have "Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar" but the subsequent CD releases had it right in the middle

7. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

The Best Buy-exclusive of Rick Springfield's "Rocket Science" has two bonus tracks mixed amongst the other tracks.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  8. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Yarbirds "Roger the Engineer" Edsel Yellow Cover (1986).

It inserts the single (Happenings Ten Years Time Ago/Psycho Daisies) right in the middle instead of the end

9. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. Brian didn't plan on having Sloop John B on the album at all, but the song had been a hit, so Capitol insisted that it be on the record. It was put at the end of side one, separated from the preceeding songs by the instrumental "Let's Go Away For Awhile". So this bonus track in the middle of an album predates CDs by 25 years.

I never listen to Sloop John B in that middle of the album. It's a much more satisfying experience for me to go directly from "Let's Go Away For Awhile" to "God Only Knows".

10. ReggieNJ

ReggieNJ Forum Resident

Reissue of Danzig's Blackacidevil has three added songs as tracks 6, 10, and 13. CD reissue of the Misfits Earth A.D./Wolfs Blood has Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight? from the Die, Die My Darling single added as track 6 with the other two at the end.

11. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Mr. Mister - Go On
    inserted "Bare My Soul" at the side break.

12. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I recall reading somewhere that putting the bonus tracks in the middle was Andy Partridge's idea, so that each album would keep its original ending.

Another album with interspersed bonus tracks is the Voiceprint reissue of Jon Anderson's Christmas album 3 Ships.

13. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Charles Mingus - 'Let My Children Hear Music' reissue...'Taurus in the Arena of Life' is the 4th track on the CD.

14. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Some of the early (1987 and earlier????) releases in Capitol's XTRA TRAX PAX series put bonus tracks in the middle. One that comes to mind is their release of Nat King Cole's Love is the Thing album.
    R-382078-1376628569-3540.jpeg.jpg
    Tracks 6, 8, and 10 come from the WHERE DID EVERYONE GO album. That album was also arranged by Gordon Jenkins, but is at the opposite of the spectrum when it comes to conveying a mood about a relationship vis-a-vis LOVE IS THE THING. Really a bad choice for "filler," IMO!

16. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

As does the latest Megadeth that I got there on the same day :)

Galley likes this.
  17. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

18. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Don't think it was mentioned but European issues of Madonna's "Like A Virgin" had "Into the Groove" put in the middle. I don't know if this counts but Kylie's "Light Years" had a bonus track "Password" put in even before track 1 plays (you have to manually "rewind" the first track on your cd player for the track to play).

19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I didn't find "Password" for YEARS on my copy of the album.:D

kiefer2 likes this.
  20. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

The Smiths' debut has This Charming Man added in the middle on most CD versions

21. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

Marillion 'Going Under' in the middle of Clutching At Straws
    Phil Collins 'Heat On The Street' and 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning' in the middle of But Seriously
    The Blow Monkeys 'Walking The Bluebeat' in the middle of Animal Magic
    Living In A Box 'Superheroes' in the middle of the Living In A Box s/t cd
    It Bites 'Till The End Of Time', 'Vampires' and 'Charlie' placed in different positions on the various editions of Eat Me In St Louis
    Daryl Hall & John Oates 'Rip It Up' in the middle of the japanese edition of Change Of Season

22. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Rory Gallagher Live in Europe CD – BMG Entertainment (Strange Music Ltd / RCA)

Messin' with the Kid
    Laundromat
    I could’ve had Religion
    Pistol Slapper Blues
    Going to my Home Town
    In your Town
    What in the World
    Hoodoo Man

Bullfrog Blues

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Judas Priest - Hell Bent for Leather has The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown) as a sort of bonus track in the middle. The AF CD is the go to version for that one.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  24. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

John Fahey's America now has 41 minutes if music (ie more than its original running length) added at its very beginning (along with a slightly different sequence to its initial sequence).

BlueTrane likes this.
  25. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Join the club. A neat, but stupid thing for them to have done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.