The Who Quadrophenia Blu Ray Audio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The original mix on the Blu ray sounds a little flatter than the SHM SACD on my system. Not by much though.

dee and bmoregnr like this.
  2. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

There are also the 5.1 mixes on the soundtrack of the Criterion Collection release of the 1979 film.

reb and dee like this.
  3. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

ok, thank you

Rose River Bear likes this.
  4. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

Thank you

bmoregnr likes this.
  5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Does the bass on the incomplete 5.1 mix on the 2011 box suck as bad as on the Blu-ray complete 5.1 mix since they are two completely different surround mixes? :whistle:

Also, is it the stand alone Blu-ray that has the superior 1973 mix or the Live In London box?

6. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

1973 stereo mix is on the standalone Blu Ray (the one pictured in the OP) and rather wonderful it is too.

Mark E. Moon. and jsayers like this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

Not sure about the bass, though it seemed on the light or lean side depending on one's perspective but in the fold down to stereo (iirc as of a few nights ago!) Daltrey's vocals in every or nearly every song sounded steeped in echo, like saying there is 'some' reverb added to them for a little ambience is like an understatement. I wanted to compare the 2014 Mix with that DVD EP Director's Cut (surround to stereo fold) version and the latter is way worse with the echoing vocals.

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Not enough bass on the 5.1 mix- that is criminal.........an outrage........:realmad:

This is The OX...!

shokhead, johnny q, painted8 and 3 others like this.
  9. dee

dee Senior Member

Any complete songs and without movie dialogue?

10. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Probably not.

dee likes this.
  11. dee

dee Senior Member

Maybe the answer is on a picture of the master reel track sheets shown under the WN Deluxe cd trays? It looks like there are cross-outs on track times for track 3,4, and 5? I can't read the cross-out times for 4 or 5 but the suggestion that LAFK is edited could be true as the track time initially says 3:45? There's also the written note that says "spiral in sound fading chord" so perhaps that is relevant to that as well? Then again maybe it's simply a mistake as BBE is also written as 3:45?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    reb likes this.
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Looks like they were playing around with track sequence for the lp format. My Wife appears to have 8:25 crossed out as well- side 1 might have ended with WGFA- moving My Wife and Song is Over to side 2...??

Turboholic and dee like this.
  13. dee

dee Senior Member

Could very well be...

I assume My Wife is edited though as "whitefang" has said John repeated the "all I did was have a bit too much too drink" lines. Maybe they also jammed it out at the end too like they would onstage that year and that accounts for the rest of the extended time? Or that track time is simply meant for WGFA.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Pete would never allow an 8 minute Entwistle song on a Who album-certainly not in 1971 !....:laugh: The longest Entwistle song that I can think of is Too Late The Hero at over over 7 minutes. On a Who record- the 3 longest Entwistle songs are on Who Are You- each clocking in at over 4 minutes. afaict

dee likes this.
  15. dee

dee Senior Member

LOL...

reb likes this.
  16. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

Thought that was interesting, so glanced through the Criterion and HFPA booklets. Seems the same cast of characters involved in the mixing and mastering. Listened to "5:15" on both discs, the movie has it almost completely intact without interference from other movie entities. There is a huge difference in volume levels (with the movie sound much lower), so tried to match db levels on both. Not much difference, with the weak bass pretty much the same on both. Having said that, I've liked the 5.1 mix personally on the HFPA, outside of the bass issue. Criterion is all about extras on their blu ray movie reissues, I'm making an assumption they were not allowed to include an audio only track of just the songs.

dee and tonewheeltom like this.
  17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Sorry if I missed it, but are the criticisms regarding lack of bass exclusive to the 5.1 mix or to this entire blu ray release... 2.0 included? From day one, I thought even the stereo mix was bass shy.

18. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks so much. I wasn't of age to see it when the movie first came out so have only seen it afterwards and have only seen it a couple of times. I was going to fast forward scan through the entire bluray today but your post has made it unnecessary for me doing that for that reason. Thanks for the timesave on that. Yes, I too like 5:15 from the HFPA, because iirc I found the electric guitars are neatly mixed and play off another in a unified way. Especially iirc near or at the outro.

19. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Sorry to ask, but what the heck is the HPFA version?

20. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

HFPA is high fidelity pure audio blu ray. I have 30 or so of them, sorry, I just started referring to them as HFPAs...

jsayers likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Different how? I thought the mixes of the songs on the SDE were identical on the BD.

The "spiral" note is just an instruction to increase the pitch of the lathe during the end of LAFK because there's no silence before My Wife.

22. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

No,5.1.mixes by the same people(Bob Pridden and Richard Whittaker),even at the same location(FX Rental),but the one on the BD is a remaster(of that) by Jon Astley(done at Close to the Edge).The differences are in most cases very subtle,but in some quite noticable.

In my opinion the BD mix is not as loud as the one in the SDE,so the BD mix is more sublime in general.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

So different mastering of the same mixes.

marcb likes this.
  24. dee

dee Senior Member

The hi rez 'stereo' only option track on the DVD EP doesn't suffer from the echoey vocal effect in most songs - it's there to an extent in The Real Me - unlike when I listen to the 5.1 mix option on the DVD EP downmixed to stereo. The stereo menu option track sounds pretty good overall to me. Glad to listen to it again today. I think there's a little more of a clarity and 'austerity' to the sound of some songs than in some other mixes. I thought Dr. Jimmy was a very good listen and doesn't sound as "dense" to me as other mixes for lack of a better word. The 'Is It Me' chorus/bridge sounds especially poignant and forward, imo. I didn't think the title track instrumental sounded all that great.

I would say fwiw overall the bass guitar is either lean and 'supple' or sometimes just rather light. My experience is of it not 'right in my ear' all the time but either there more in a supporting role or a bit lost sometimes. But on another listen, I seemed to be more aware of it more often. That's some of what the EP stereo mix 'sounds like' to me. I felt like it was overall a positive alternate kind of mix that I enjoyed listening to, much moreso than the 5.1 downmix with often the 'weird-sounding' lead vocals.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I was reading a recent thread about the volume levels at which folks listen to music. Many - perhaps most - said 70-75 dBs. I wonder if those folks are the ones complaining about the lack of bottom end on this one? I thought the same thing until I really gave it some amplitude.

When it's turned up loud, the bottom end becomes much better balanced within the 5.1 mix, IMO.

Juggsnelson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.