Closed-back Headphone Recommendations*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ron Scubadiver, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

I've had the pm-3 for a couple years, I can easily run them off my iPhone, a computer jack should be just fine. If you like a neutral-ish sounding headphone with lush mids and slightly rolled off highs, it's a great choice. Are usually run them balanced from my AK100 II. IMO,The best choice for a portable closed-back under $1000

bru87tr, martinb4 and Ham Sandwich like this.
  2. I'll follow this thread. Interested in much the same thing.

Reading some of the recommendations so far, then going to read customer comments at such places as Amazon and Stereo sites. Interesting that the comments are so random and all over the place. Many comments that the Oppo's are kinda small for over the ear in many cases. I want ones that are comfortable above all. Not comfortable = no listening in my experience. Would love something close to neutral, but not "cold" or "analytical". Good bass. No need for "sparkling highs" at all. Any over emphasis on anything above 4k is a no no for me. Yes, I want the highs, but not "bright".

I keep getting the feeling that in the not too distant future, most of my listening will be on headphones rather than my speakers. We downsized in the last move, and my Stereo & HT survived the cut. May not happen next time. :yikes: :(

3. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

The Oppos touch the edges of my ears, but are extremely comfortable. They have strong, well-controlled bass, but it's not heavy. Again, lush mids, and soft non-fatiguing highs. Along with the stereotypical planar speed.

Ham Sandwich and SoCalWJS like this.
  4. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

I like my Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over ears enough. They're extremely comfortable, leak very little sound and don't require an amp, but the sound, while not bad at all, leaves something to be desired.

5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Massdrop just dropped the Fostex' again. They are closed back, or semi closed back. Sold mine. Wish I would have kept them.

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Get in on the current drop and you can have them again. :D

I like the Massdrop Fostex TH-X00. Big fan. I like their sound quality and style. But they're not portable friendly at all. They're a headphone to use at home. They're what I would consider a semi-open or semi-closed headphone. They don't isolate outside sound much at all. They're more similar to an open headphone in terms of isolation. The large stiff long cable makes them inconvenient for portable use and even for use plugged directly in a computer. They don't fold. The wood cups need to be treated with care or will get scratched and chipped and beat up. Not portable friendly at all. Best for home use and listening situations where you don't need isolation.

7. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

If comfort is what you're after then I highly recommend the DT range by Beyerdynamic.

8. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

Comfort is just as important as sound quality IMO.

For instance I had to sell some B&W P7's even though I loved their sound.
    The headband was just way too tight.
    Rather naively I thought "Oh they'll probably expand with use!" - I even put them over a box for days - but nothing helped.
    So keep in mind that all these recommendations are fine, however you really have to try things yourself to make up your mind.
    Not just comfort-wise, but sound-wise too.
    What one person recommends may not be your taste in headphones at all.
    So go out there and try a lot of headphones :)
    Good luck!

PS. I have Sennheiser HD 700, best comfort in headphones I've ever tried, a little bright though but your brain adapts to it quickly.
    Also have Denon MM-400 or whatever they're called - closed headphone, nice comfort, nice balanced sound.

9. abv9999

abv9999 Well-Known Member

Take a look at Meizu HD50. A few days ago this chineese headphones really surprised me with excellent craftmanchip and superior for the price sound. Maybe they are not the best for serious claccic music, but rock and acoustic jazz sounds great!

[​IMG]

10. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

11. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

I recently found a pair of these used for $200 on eBay. I don't know why they aren't more praised/discussed ... they sound fantastic!

The only thing I don't care for is the headband; is it square-shaped and gives the headphones a larger footprint than you'd like for portable use. That said, with closed backs and minimal leakage, it's a very good on-the-go option if you don't mind looking a little goofy. :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    HBJ likes this.
  12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I just got the 380s to replace my 280s when isolation is needed, either for my benefit or that of others. I love them; the 280s were very good, and I'm keeping them for backup, etc, but the 380s are much better for the price difference.

Only quibble is, I have to remain fairly stationary while listening. Moving the head or jaw breaks the "seal" and the sound is noticeably affected.

EDIT: Moving from the HD 600 to the HD 380 is much less "jarring" than going to the 280s.

13. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Consider the Shure SRH-940. I have a pair of SRH-840 (the next model down) that I love. They are comfortable and definitely non-fatiguing, even with mediocre recordings. I use them with a Meridian Explorer plugged into my laptop computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.