Rega RP3 question when changing cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aoxomoxoa, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

I am planning on changing my cartridge on my RP3. Last time I did it I used an elys2 so it was fairly simple and straightforward. This time I'd like to try an Ortofon.
    I have read that you need spacers to complete this task. Can someone point me to clear directions on what I need to do so that I don't have to send this somewhere and have it done for me?

Thanks in advance !

2. aoxomoxoa

Shoot! It was

3. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

4. aoxomoxoa

5. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

First find out which shim size/type you need for your arm/cartridge (a certain search engine should help with this). Remove arm; fit shim between arm-base & plinth; re-fit arm; carry out arm/cartridge set up procedure ... done!? Before all, check whether your cartridge definitely needs a shim or whether you could perhaps get away without - sometimes 'without' has sonic benefits. Lots of tips & hints on various hi I forums.

Have fun!

6. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Try it first for a while without any shims!

Gavinyl, Mikeybc and crispi like this.
  7. mesaboogie

It's not hard, but you need to unscrew the three screws holding it down into the plinth, and there is a cable retainer under the plinth that you unscrew. The whole arm will come off with the RCA cables coming with it. Then feed the cable leads thru the shim and back thru the hole in the plinth and screw it all back together.
    My Dynavector 20x2L uses the highest setting if you need a reference for which one of the three to use. If you are using the factory counter weight, then you should be fine, but I had the tungsten weight that was a little bigger and it hit the dust cover after, so I had to move to a drop center counter weight.

8. mesaboogie

Rega uses an insanely stupid proprietary cartridge height. It's low. Really, really low. It's like seeing a low rider riding with the front up and back dropped with a Dynavector installed. I wouldn't try it unless the carts specs put it somewhere close to the rega.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Its your opinion, use a low profile (Rega) cart or the spacers. For most Rega owners its not an issue.

10. aoxomoxoa

I'm thinking about an ortofon blue. I've seen mixed reactions on whether not I need a spacer for it. I don't feel very comfortable taking apart the tonearm

11. mesaboogie

What's carts have you used on your Rega? Are you speaking without experiencing another cart on your Rega?
    The plastic part of the cart will actually kiss a warped record without spacers when using a DV20x2.

12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

The easy answer is 4MM, Rega carts are 14MM and the Ortofon is 18MM

13. mesaboogie

And I should correct something, I am on the lowest setting of the shim, not the highest, as they are out of order.

14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I don't need to use other than Rega carts on my Rega turntables to be satisfied with the performance, design and construction. Rega offers a part to accommodate other carts with their turntable. Whats "insanely stupid" with that?

15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Information on the web is conflicting whether spacers are needed or not. On older threads it's been suggested that Rega themselves don't recommend using them. Of course there's other who swear by it. Fact is, you won't find a definitive answer because people like to do what they believe in, whether it makes a difference on not.

On my old RP1 I have used spacers when I switched to the Ortofon 2M Red. I could not hear any difference without them and I eventually took them off because it just looked weird to me.

On my RP3 I used an 2M Bronze without any spacers - it sounded great, and others agreed. So Rega may be on to something here

Then don't. Put on the cart as it is. Like I said, never had a problem whatsoever, even with warped records.

EDIT: This might be informative: Rega - Arm height spacer or not? »
    In a nutshell, Rega's position on this is that records themselves vary so much in thickness that you'd have to adjust spacing for each and every record. So it's best to just relax and enjoy. If to you the math says to add 2mm and you absolutely feel you need to do it, try it out. If however, like you suggested, you are reluctant to mess with the arm, then don't. Rega's chief agrees.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

Thanks !

17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

18. aoxomoxoa

Ok can someone point me to the protractor i need ? Thanks for all of your responses!

19. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

You don't have to use the Rega spacer. I had a blue on my RP3 and just used two nylon washers on each screw to add the needed height. Works just fine. Takes about 5 minutes. Very easy to align the cart as well as the Rega arm is matches the shape of the 2m carts perfectly, though I have seen some who say to align the cart with the front edge, I found that to be incorrect. The cart should be slightly behind the edge as in this pic.
    [​IMG]

20. mesaboogie

I don't get this.. alignment is with the stylus. The carts case means nothing and would vary based on the type of case.

21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Only speaking for the 2m. You should align with a template, but if all is right the 2m series aligns as shown. I aligned it flush with the shellas I was told by a dealer, but when I checked it properly it should be set back a little.

The headshell is an exact match for the 2m. Makes it very tempting to think it should be flush.

22. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I have an RP10 and using a Dyna XX2. 4mm off from the Rega carts. I tried it at 2mm/3mm/4mm. Heard no real difference between any of them. Left the 2mm in as I had it and was cake to put in. Being off some is going to give you no real sonic benefit.

23. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I'd also not recommend the adjustable ones. Having had a tt with that I heard zero difference between any of the adjustments. Some on here say they can hear differences from a fraction of a mm difference. I see flying pigs too. To each their own. Regas are all about the ability to transfer unwanted vibrations out of their tables. Think of Rega as the graceful ballerina on their feet table and the 50lb tables as the lumbering oxs.

Mikeybc, aoxomoxoa and CCrider92 like this.
  24. Mikeybc

Mikeybc Listener

I have a RP3 with the 2M Bronze, I installed a 3 mm shim and after after a few days I removed the shim. I preferred the sound without the shim. However I recently realigned my cart as it was a bit too close to the end of the tonearm, it made a slight improvement so I may revisit the shim thing again now that the cart is aligned better....though I'm in no hurry.

aoxomoxoa and crispi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.