Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

I don´t quite know whether this was ironically meant or just an appreciation of the "good old days". Whatever way we should take it, I wish you a happy day and that you enjoy these three facts. :righton:

duggan, Tim Cooper and mark ab like this.
  2. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

"Human Work of Art" wasn't so good. I liked "Ragged"...the intro promised more than the track delivered though. "Free" is pretty decent too.

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  3. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I can remember "Yesterday's Memories" without playing it...and not in a good way. Makes me want to hit 'reject' on the old record player.

4. Jarleboy

Of those three songs, I like "FREE" a lot. "RAGGED" could have been something, but the mechanical and lifeless backing track leaves me cold. "HUMAN WORK OF ART" isn´t terrible, it just never spoke to me. Again, a matter of taste.

mark ab likes this.
  5. Jarleboy

He, he... Agree. One of his least interesting tracks, to be honest.

mark ab likes this.
  6. duggan

duggan Senior Member

No irony intended.

I am genuinely happy about all 3.

PS great thread, thanks for starting it.

mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  7. Jarleboy

I thought you were being straightforward, but I was unsure - not always easy to tell on the Internet. :righton:

Good for you! I hope you´ll find all three things as enjoyable as you hope.

Thanks. I love it. But you can thank Bobby for his relentless nagging and getting me to do something about it... Just kidding.

Bobby Morrow, duggan and mark ab like this.
  8. Jarleboy

Just have to share my "momentous" news: Tonight I was "cruising" eBay, and quite by accident discovered a hitherto unknown - to me - a compilation CD featuring "DRIFTNG", the duet featuring Cliff and Bobby´s favourite Scottish singer, Sheila Walsh! I know a lot of you don´t like this song, but I love it! I do hope the sound quality is close to perfect. :love:

9. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Searching for a gem and coming up trumps. Always a nice feeling!
    Hope it's all you wish for!

Tim Cooper, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  10. Jarleboy

Thank you! I was quite exhuberant when I found it. I´ve been looking since 1983... Thank you! :righton:

mark ab, RonBaker and When In Rome like this.
  11. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Yes, well done, not jealous at all!
    Could you please post the title and number so I can put it on my wanted list and keep an eye out for it then. Thanks.

12. Jarleboy

He, he... Good that you´re not jealous. :righton:

Will do. I think I´ll wait til I get it. Shouldn´t take to long. But I´ll add this link: v/a TOGETHER WE ARE STRONG CD 1987 CNR Linda de Suza Cliff Richard Demis Roussos »

I can see the cover + CD on this link. Hope you can, too.

Bobby Morrow and mark ab like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

bob60 and Jarleboy like this.
  14. Jarleboy

Yep. I saw that. It´s either a cover version or a obvious mistake. I´ll let you know once I get it. :laugh:

Bobby Morrow and mark ab like this.
  15. Jarleboy

Single No. 123: 1995 October 9 — UK — EMI EM 394
    A-side: "MISUNDERSTOOD MAN" (Edit) (Written by Tim Rice & John Farrar)
    B-side: "MISUNDERSTOOD MAN" (Instrumental) (Written by John Farrar)
    CD single track: "MISUNDERSTOOD MAN" (Album Version) (Written by Tim Rice & John Farrar)
    A-side, B-side and album version produced by John Farrar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally - a "neat" single release! No two-part CD single releases, no variation in track selections. No old hits added to a current single. In fact, all you get, whether you buy the 7" vinyl version, the CD single or the cassette single, all you get is, in fact, "MISUNDERSTOOD MAN".

And that is not a bad deal at all. The edited version is a better presentation of the song for radio, the instrumental version is fine for singing along to - I have tried it! - and the full length album version is the real McCoy - a truly great Cliff single, which plays to all of his strengths. We are in the capable hands of Tim Rice, who provided the words - but is curiously credited on the instrumental version - and John Farrar, former member of the nucleus of musicians around Cliff and The Shadows, and, of course, Marvin, Welch & Farrar. (He also produced and wrote great songs for a little known British/Australian pop singer called... Well, you know the rest.)

It was serendipity that all these elements came together. Cliff took part in a play of the Emily Bronté book "WUTHERING HEIGHTS" when he was at school in London, and he loved his English teacher, and became fascinated by the book. (He´s not alone.) For years he had planned to do something with the book, and in 1995, all the pieces came together. An album of ten songs was made, and four singles were taken from it. The play was performed for a long period, and there´s also a live album recording. A DVD was also made, featuring the whole show.

So... Cliff as "HEATHCLIFF"... Did it work? Cliff may be the wrong kind of personality with which to infuse the main character. Cliff may be just a tad too nice. having said that, I think this piece shows better acting from Cliff than ever before. (Which may not be saying much, but I think he acquits himself well.)

The lead single was a study of the man himself, Heathcliff, with excellent lyrics by Tim Rice. What is he - the devil incarnate or a misunderstood man? (A question you might pose about Cliff. I think he, at least, is a misunderstood man.) The melody is moody and serious, and, like all good songs, build up an atmosphere that underpins the lyric very well. I think I can safely say that this was Cliff´s best single for yonks. I watched the MTV countdown in 1995, and was excited, as I came into the middle countdown, and I first thought that Cliff was at No. 1 again. Sadly, the single peaked at No. 19, but it was a great video for a great song. The song didn´t chart anywhere else, and it wasn´t his biggest hit, but what a memorable start to the whole project.

Robert Porter has this to say about the single:
    Misunderstood Man (Edit)
    (Tim Rice (lyrics) & John Farrar (music))
    Running Time: 4:32
    This is edited from the Songs From Heathcliff version, cutting part of the keyboard intro before the drums begin and most of the piano on the intro before the singing begins. It also cuts the whole second half of the instrumental bridge and the last few beats before the song's finale part.
    Misunderstood Man (Instrumental)
    (John Farrar)
    Running Time: 5:09
    This is a straight instrumental version of the full Songs From Heathcliff version, except a guitar plays for all the lead vocal parts.
    Misunderstood Man
    (Tim Rice (lyrics) & John Farrar (music))
    Running Time: 5:09
    This is the same as on the Songs From Heathcliff album.

The single lists the song as Misunderstood Man, but the Songs From Heathcliff album lists it as A Misunderstood Man (with the "a" article). Although probably both forms are acceptable, all other releases have it as Misunderstood Man.
    "The following year [1995] the singles Had To Be (with Olivia Newton-John) and Misunderstood Man, and the album Songs From Heathcliff were released. The singles, which reached 22 and 19 respectively in the charts, didn't do as well as Cliff had hoped. He felt that this was in part due to a snub from BBC Radio 2, previously the natural home for Cliff's music. "'Misunderstood Man didn't get any airplay,' [Cliff] says."
    Steve Turner (2008 January - Cliff Richard - The Biography (revised edition))

• Running Time: 5:09
    • Record Date: February to April 1994 & May to August 1995
    • Record Location: Moonee Ponds Studio, Los Angeles & Abbey Road, London
    • Written By: Tim Rice (lyrics) & John Farrar (music)
    • Produced By: John Farrar
    • Engineered By: Chris Fogel, Eric Rudd, Joe Schiff, Darren Godwin, Guy Massey, James Collins & Caroline Daniel
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Sean Callery (orchestration, synclavier, keyboards), John Farrar (synclavier, guitar, backing vocals), Michael Thompson (guitar), Jerry Hey (horns), Gary Grant (horns), Bill Reichenbach (horns), Dan Higgins (horns), Bob Sabellico (drum programming), Kristina Nichols (backing vocals), Liz Constantino (backing vocals), Linda Dalziel (backing vocals), Steve Kipner (backing vocals), Clif Magness (backing vocals)

I have already stated my opinion of this song, but I think it needs to be repeated that this was a superior single from Cliff, and and interesting one to boot. It´s a pop song, a "show tune" and a rock ballad all in one, and Cliff pulls off the vocal better than anybody. A great single to ad to his Legacy. Too bad the song and the whole project seems to have been forgotten now.

16. Jarleboy

A Royal Variety performance by Cliff and Olivia. Cliff performs "MISUNDERSTOOD MAN", and Olivia joins him on "HAD TO BE", the next single from the album. I know my friend Bobby dislikes this latter song very strongly, but I think it´s a delicate ballad that has something magical about it. We´ll agree to disagree.

17. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

I think it funny that the official reason for this (Misunderstood Man) not being added to the Radio 2 playlist was that the song was "too raucous". I mean, seriously?? I have heard them play Iron Maiden recently, surely that us more so than this??

18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Oh I loved them back in the day....

mark ab, Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Holy Joe

Holy Joe Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of Katie Bassoon

20. Bobby Morrow

It was strange. Probably just an excuse not to play it. I don't think I ever heard "Had To Be" on Radio 2 either..

21. Holy Joe

Holy Joe Forum Resident

I love those times stumbling across something you never knew existed. It is really exciting, isn't it? I had that this last week with a CD. I'd never seen it before. The seller was offering the same shipping rate if you bought one or two items. So I looked through the rest of his stock and came across another item I'd never seen before either. They were the only 2 items I wanted out of his stock. I would never have seen that second one if I hadn't spotted the first one and then gone through his stock. So, I think it was meant to be. The second one I have on vinyl, but I was convinced it had never been on CD anywhere. But like your song, it was tucked away on a foreign compilation CD from years ago. Now I can't wait for these to arrive. I hope they are in good enough condition and play well.

mark ab, Jarleboy and When In Rome like this.
  22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Cliff is looking a bit David Essex in those pics...

23. Bobby Morrow

Heathcliff took a lot of stick before it ever got anywhere near the stage! I can't work out if Cliff was brave to take on the project or if it was just his vanity kicking in again.:D Certainly, he was too old and too 'Cliff' for the role of the brooding, passionate Heathcliff.

Never saw the show, though. I remember Cliff saying he wanted Olivia for the role of Cathy if the show went to Broadway. Lord help us.:D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    mark ab, Jarleboy and bob60 like this.
  24. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Apologies for jumping the gun but I do remember a fair bit of airplay for 'Be With Me Always' on Radio 2 (possibly on the Debbie Thrower and Ed Stewpot shows; aah, simpler days...) and I loved it! One of my favourites from this album but the other singles I don't remember hearing at all at the time...

25. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper Forum Resident

Thanks, all noted and will be looking.
    I will be semi retiring in 6 days, 4 hours & 10 mins time, so should have more time on my hands to try and complete my collection!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.