Can't live without it. Tools used when listening to vinyl. *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by drew phillips, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audioquest brush
    Spin Clean
    Moxie to overcome Howard Hughes-level schpilkes

2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

'Now playing' display stand

3. drew phillips

drew phillips Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the reminder, i used one years ago but it broke. Its top of my list now. What do you use and where is it placed.

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

This is the stuff I keep next to the table, not the room with cleaning machines, disc flatteners, or the adjacent walk-in closet with additional tools, measuring instruments and set up devices, or the air compressor, or additional materials such as jacket covers, inner sleeves or containers of water or fluids for cleaning: [​IMG]

Long Live Analog and toddrhodes like this.
  5. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Just a small easel, purchased at an art supply & framing shop. Placed next to my amp.

6. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

Aside from the TT itself a RCM.

7. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

In most areas, a humidifier is essential for minimizing static and an ionizing air filter next to the TT helps with the dust. I also keep a clean duster handy and dust all the gear before I sit down for a listen. Specific to vinyl and aside form what others have mentioned: a grounded anti-static mat; a calibrated mechanics level; a jeweler's loop and/or digital microscope w/measuring software; a 6" machinists SAE/Metric ruler; and 1 or more good test records (Shure, HiFi News, Analogue Productions and Stereo Review all work well).

With a properly set up TT and once the area is cleaned and the system powered up, I'll play a CD or the NAS. While the system warms up, I clean a few records - first on the VPI 16.5 using enzymatic & cleaning fluids and a sterile rinse (@5 min/LP) then run them through a cycle in a DIY ultrasonic tank (6 min/4 LPs). After 5-10 minutes in a DIY air dryer (I use a filtered anti-static blower with very slight heat), the system is now warmed and ready. I dip the stylus in the Zerodust a few times, zap a freshly cleaned record with the Milty gun (3x pull and release around the surface and a final pull at the center - very slowly.. no clicks!). Now I can just drop the arm on the record, sit back and listen. After I finish with the record, I zap it again and slip it into a fresh poly sleeve (MOFI or SleeveCity) and put it away.

I've found that most new and some used records often just need a quick cycle through the US tank and all this work still doesn't guaranty a flawless record but it eliminates most, if not all of the noise and certainly increases the chances of that elusive 'perfect-sounding' record. I've cleaned close to 1000 LPs using this method and 200-250 have come out with completely silent surfaces, start to finish. Those records, I place in outer sleeves and put aside in a 'special' cabinet to use when I demonstrate the system for friends or just to enjoy and savor the best my vinyl set up has to offer... :pleased:

8. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Carbon brush, Onzow Zero-Dust, StyLast, Record Doctor stylus cleaner - used most often. Also have the Milty gun, spirit level, two record clamps of different weights, vacuum-based cleaning system, Last and GroovGlide vinyl treatments, jeweler's scale for tracking force measurement, velvet brushes, and various cleaning liquids.

9. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

It's $.99. Works fine i guess. I just downloaded it. This forum costs me a lot of $:)

10. Meloski

Meloski I don't roll on Shabbat

D3 brush slightly dampened with record cleaning solution
    Moon gel
    VPI 16.3

11. Tropehjelm

Tropehjelm Forum Resident

Use carbonfibrebrush before every spin.
    Onzow Zerodust,and stylusbrush often.
    Every record i buy get 20 minutes in an ultrasonic cleaner i have made.
    Put my spin Clean away after that one came together.

12. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

The Groovmaster label saver. I love this thing!

13. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Last Stylus Cleaner and brush & Hunt EDA Mk6.

14. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

At others have said, if you're doing it right, there's little reason to ever have to clean a record more than once.

15. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

My lovely girl friend takes care of spinning records, I see her blow away the dust on the record and putting arm in place. That is all. So that is my tool.
    Recommended.

16. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

She sounds like a very useful record-playing accessory, Hubert. But I can't see Mrs.Qwerty letting me have one in the house. At least she lets me have my "ugly" speakers.

17. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

The boss in the house is the man. Succes.

18. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Mobile Fidelity Record cleaning brush, which btw is superb,
    and occasionally the AT vibrating stylus cleaning thing
    that's all I need

19. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Spin Clean
    Milty Zero Stat
    Magic Eraser
    Ortofon stylus brush (for in-between sides)
    Discwasher stylus brush (for after first play of a cleaned LP)

20. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Arthritic hands cause some serious problems...one being difficulty using a stylus cleaning brush so I have a VPI Dust Buster dip gel for regular use and a magic eraser which I use every 10 or so records. I also have difficulty removing a record from the inner sleeve without getting greasy fingerprints all over it. I've solved this by wearing a soft white cotton glove on my right hand when handling a record.

21. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

And Capt. Morgan.

22. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

The Capt!!!

23. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Let's see....

Mofi Brush
    Audioquest Brush
    Stylus Force Gauge