What do you all think of this audio rack? / Audio rack ideas under $125?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Troxell, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Please give us a review of this rack timind after you set it up.

patient_ot and timind like this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Will do, pics to follow.

DonnyMe likes this.
  3. 4thChoice

4thChoice Forum Resident

I (and wife) did not want "silver" colored rods so I got some black oxide thread rods from McMaster-Carr. IMO look much nicer than the zinc plated ones and not a lot more $$$$.

4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. :targettiphat:

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Audio Adviser is one of the best places for "affordable" audiophile accessories!

I recently bought a pair of inexpensive Pangea* speaker stands from them that are actually quite nice; the only cost-cutting measure I can find is the base plate is thin and rings, so I lined the bottom with Dynamat.

I also have a pair of .5m Pangea interconnects running between my SUT and phono stage, and it delivers the goods very well.

And their Record Doctor V is one of the best values in record care.

*Pangea is Audio Adviser's house brand.

DonnyMe, 2channelforever and timind like this.
  6. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    DonnyMe likes this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

8. Great problem solving with the stands - my experience with cast steel speaker stand bases echoes :realmad: yours exactly. Another great dampener is "Mortite" window caulk.

action pact likes this.
  9. timind

timind phorum rezident

As promised:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Audio Advisor is quick. These stands were sold as blemished items but I'm hard pressed to find issue with them. All of the marks are from the packaging and can be wiped off easily so far. I like them for the $$.

There's an additional shelf which I don't need or want. I am partial to keeping it as low as possible.

10. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I had exactly the same need. 20" width knocks out 99% if the ready made racks out there, but is easy to do as a Flexxy though you do have to cheat the rods right to the edge of the shelves especially if you have any particularly wide components. As an example Rogue really pushes the limit for a "standard" 19" width on several of their peices.

11. mrvco

mrvco Well-Known Member

12. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Thank you timind for the pictures and review. It does look nice and looks sturdy too. Things that make you go hmmm.

timind likes this.
  13. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I like stands a little more open in the back than the one you are looking at. Easier to change out cables.

14. Troxell

Troxell New Member Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread! Sorry for the late reply! I currently do not have internet at my house (the trees grew too tall and now blocking the satellite reception!) #1stWorldMountainLivingProblems. It is a local company and I dislike the only other internet company whom has monopoly on the area so much that I have put off dealing with them while I search for alternatives. Alas, I digress...

Q year and a half ago, my gal and I built a record holder (I will have to take a picture and post it) using 1" thick pine wood that is 12 feet long and 3/4" inch threaded iron from Lowes. We sealed the wood with a heated mixture of bees wax and olive oil. There are windows above the rack and I don't want the turntable sitting near open windows over half of the year, hence why I was looking for a dedicated equipment rack.

I am aware of the Audio Advisor racks but until a few days ago The Pangea Vulcan Racks were not available. Rather they used to by available under a different name but were gone from the website for a few weeks. I will either go with those racks or build my own. The thing is that the pine boards only come in a depth of a foot (well technically 11 and 3/4"). My turntable will have solid grounding of it's feet but. I could go to a lumber yearned and get something with more depth, but the cost is going to shoot up.

If I do not get that Pangea Rack, I think that Timind has inspired me to build another dedicated equipment rack!

timind likes this.
  15. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Love your Hafler!

I don't mean to thread jack, but is your amp sporting the Qua-Co boards?

16. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Paully likes this.
  17. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Take the wheels off and spike the stand for a start,if it's a rigid stand it will be okay.

Tim 2 likes this.
  18. Djulzy

Djulzy Well-Known Member

If you're into DIY, that's what I built with a few Ikea chopping board. The legs are from Ikea too.

[​IMG]

Paully, 33na3rd, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.
  19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ohhhhh, I like that glass (acrylic) stand much better. I find the wood ones look outdated!

20. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

What size are those chopping boards?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.