Sherlock Season 3 on PBS (2014)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Nov 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

We loved it. It was difficult to wrap your mind around, but another worthy entry in a fantastic series.

4xoddic and fuzzface like this.
  2. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Whether I find the events plausible is one thing but whether I believe in the characters is key. Moffatt gave us his trademark head spinning razzle-dazzle but the scenes between the two leads were the heart of the episode and were very well done. Of course once their relationship was dealt with it was time to get clever again and hook us for next week. And I'm thinking "Well, yes, of course, I could see it coming." Except of course I couldn't. Good show.

4xoddic and Vidiot like this.
  3. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

He was very creepy, and yet still much less creepy than Mr. Saville.

4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Since this seems to be the last season, looking back I think this show began to run off the rails by failing to focus on individual cases and spending too much time on Watson's marriage. Having a baby was completely irrelevant, and the general histrionics of seasons 3 and 4 have left me cold. The first two seasons were incredibly brilliant -- even incandescent, to borrow a word from last night's episode. A shame it couldn't have continued along that path.

Peace N. Love, Andrew and Deesky like this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Completely agree. I would also add that when the focus shifted from cases, there was also a shift towards a BondLite action/adventure narrative, which is the antithesis of Holme's considered, logical, deductive roots (not to mention when the plot points & twists don't make any sense).

Andrew likes this.
  6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

First part of episode three was pretty great but then it was way to much of everything and to dark and evil .

Sherlock needs to be more fun and more like a detective

7. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

It's kind of jumped the shark for me too, although I did continue watching. It still had some good bits but it's really got too far fetched for me. Well, I suppose it was always far fetched but it's gone way over the top.

8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The final episode was certainly fun, but stands no logical analysis: so many plot holes and unresolved questions, that it only gets worse upon reflection. I can rewatch episodes from the first two seasons and still enjoy them; I have no desire to see any of the fourth season again.

John K.

9. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I loved the first two seasons. I felt the third season was not nearly as good as the first two, while the fourth season was just off the rails.

misterdecibel likes this.
  10. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD:

Agreed. Some good moments, but overall the episode felt as though they were making it up as they went along. Like, "Sherlock has uncovered a repressed childhood memory!" But then it's "No, wait, it's actually something else." And then let's throw in Moriarty, and then another message from Mary (how many of these did she tape??). It sort of veered between action, horror and high camp, but not in a cohesive way, before concluding in the corniest way possible.

I have also decided that Moriarty's main crime is being very, very irritating.

Jim B. and budwhite like this.
  11. Yeah and wasn't Watson's feet chained in the well? But then he got out via a rope... what happened to the chain?

Bender Rodriguez, budwhite and Vidiot like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

And how did the mysterious sister knock everybody out, put Sherlock in a set with four walls, put Watson in a deep well and chain him down, and dispatch of Mycroft (which was never shown). There were a lotta loose ends in the show.

I liked the final episode, but it was a bit all over the map. I always have simple questions like, "how do you get a cell phone to work in a stone prison with lots of iron bars in the middle of nowhere?" and "how did one hypnotic prisoner gain control over 179 guards?", but that's me.

13. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

This last episode 3 was ridiculously stupid, if this is it for them and this iteration of Sherlock Holmes all I can say is I wish I could have the time back that I wasted watching.

Leepal likes this.
  14. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I assumed it was like a ball and chain. Weight that he could not remove, and would prevent him from climbing the walls of the well. But with a rope and someone pulling him out, he would come out with it still attached.

zobalob likes this.
  15. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

My wife & I have differing appreciations (lack thereof, usually, in her case) for shows which "share" the experiences of the characters with the viewer. When it reaches "gut level," my wife would prefer not to be sharing the discomfort.

I enjoy that type of experience, but don't feel "superior" over someone who does not. Perhaps my first such experience was 1968's 2001: A Space Odyssey. The most recent episodes of PBS's Sherlock have certainly brought me along for the inexplicable ride.

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

There was only one thing missing from that last episode:

"Your head bone's connected to your neck bone.
    Your neck bone's connected to your …"

Solaris likes this.
  17. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Dreadful uninvolving, unbelievable, pedestrian garbage (that was nicely filmed in Wales). Three of the last 4 episodes have been dismal. Exception being episode 2 of this season. And yes Mary must have got a job lot on "speak from the dead" DVDs.

misterdecibel likes this.
  18. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Which season and episode is running now? I find it very confusing with these streaming shows...I never know what is current and what is not. :yikes:

19. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Fourth and final season.

hifisoup likes this.
  20. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Thank you.

ralphb likes this.
  21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Actually that's not settled yet - Moffat and Gattis say they have plotted a fifth season and Cumberbatch at least has already signed to do it if it happens. But they have also said that they could end it here - for the last couple of seasons the endings have been cliffhangers and it wasn't possible to end the series that way.

ralphb likes this.
  22. ralphb

Didn't know that. If it does go to a fifth season I hope it's better than this one. That last episode was a stinker.

dkmonroe likes this.
  23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, about halfway through it I was thinking, "Y'know, this is supposed to be a detective show, not 'Saw Lite.'"

And the whole thing with his sister was a rather disappointing concept - I don't really know how to explain it, but it's like in the Marvel movies where half of the Really Big Earthshaking Problems can be traced back to the Stark family. Think Moriarty was a genius criminal mastermind? Hell no, he was just reprogrammed by Sherlock's sister who was pissed that she never had a playmate. Groan. It kind of makes the whole series into Sherlock chasing his tail, or something like that.

Bender Rodriguez and ralphb like this.
  24. ralphb

Over the top and convoluted doesn't even get close to what that last episode was. It made every episode of "How To Get Away With Murder" come off like a fusty old melodrama.

dkmonroe likes this.
  25. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Yes and there was a kind of happy ending, with the murdering psychopath now sort of back with her family, lack of hugs forgiven. Just garbage!

ralphb and dkmonroe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.