Any JBL Fans Here?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Charles F, Sep 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I have a set of L100s L112 and L20t and had some L26 that I wish I never sold.As much as i like them I think they sound better with another set of less forward speakers.

2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

OH! THESE are the speakers I was trying to think of in another thread. Very nice sound, but at the same time an illustration of how modern simulation technology for drivers and crossovers and magnetic systems has improved over time-these are not quite as...cohesive???...as some more modern designs. Some great aspects to the sound but a kind of hollowness or flatness as well (not flat response, but flat as a pancake or something). Probably suits your reel-to-reel though :)

What do they look like inside? Bracing? Stuffing? anti-vibration coating? Are the woofers all in separate enclosures? And I don't remember-are they ported?

3. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

For those of you with L112s, what reading are you getting at the connectors? I'm getting a fairly even 6 ohms.

I actually had to "ditch" the twist lock posts and install 5 way binding posts. With the original twist locks in place the reading was jumping all over the place.

I was a little concerned about the smallish midrange driver. However, after hooking up the completed recone and running some tunes through it, I realize this is or is very close to the sound I've been after for a very long time. I've listened quite a bit to a friends reference Maggies (detail in spades) and still very much like my "little" EPI 100s. My dad's DefTechs as well as the the 15 inchers I had at one time are great with bass (though my 15's midrange was horrible). The JBL L112, though still their own thing, are the closest I've had, in my system, to my dad's old University Medallions (which I've grown to love). Both are 12" 3-way ported designs. The Universities had/have an 8" midrange. The JBL L112's smaller midrange doesn't seem to be holding it back. Now I need to get beefier stands. Can't wait to get the other one finished.

Here's what I'm up against... ...again. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

...and the one I just completed. :goodie:

[​IMG]

4. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

I purchased and still use four of these specifically for my theater set-up. I considered JBL's Pro reputation for outfitting commercial theaters at the time I bought them. It was a good call.
    They're quite large for a "bookshelf" speaker, and quite spouse repulsive with the grills off, but man-oh-man, very impressive as far as clarity, incredible dynamics and jaw dropping output goes; these things are not wussies!
    A while back I came across a set of four on CL for silly money, and was actually considering the purchase,
    but declined after picturing myself sitting on the curb with my suitcase and eight S38s! :sweating:

[​IMG]

kevinsinnott and 56GoldTop like this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have some JBL's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Peter Baird

Peter Baird Well-Known Member

I used 25 year old JBL 2050's with a 15 year old integrated H/K amp in my tv room. People who hear it comment on how "great the sound is on your TV" lol.. mostly because they use just TV speakers or a soundbar, I suspect.

But actually it is pretty good for tv and even ok for music. And these weren't high end speakers at the time, more midfi.

56GoldTop likes this.
  7. Tony Stark

Tony Stark New Member

Beauties! What's the crossover on that fan? :p:cool:

8. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident

I have some L112's and love them....

9. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Yes, definitely a fan of JBL, my favorite, the classic L100 Century Speakers:

[​IMG]

Capt Fongsby and Tony Stark like this.
  10. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Those are 4312's.

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  11. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

I use Vintage JBL components and crossovers in my DIY speakers, they always have a great sound.
    I have a pair of JBL Decades in my shop , they have a really great sound to them for what they are.

SandAndGlass and Tony Stark like this.
  12. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

Late to this thread, but:

My JBL collection started with a mono 030 system (15-inch D130 with 075 ring radiator) from my Dad bought in 1956. I mated it up with a an orphan C37 030, and 35-years ago bought my wife some L112s for our anniversary.

I still own those and the rest of my collection now includes these:
    L1
    L3
    L5 (x2)
    L7 (x2)
    4412A
    L96
    L150A
    250ti
    L80T/+3 (x2)
    L20T
    LX22
    L26
    LSR305 (x2)
    Pro3+

maybe a few others I've forgotten . . .

Capt Fongsby and Tony Stark like this.
  13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

L19's here.

14. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

4345....someday :drool:

15. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

Just got stands for my 4365's.

[​IMG]

16. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

sorry to say, but i'm getting out of jbl...the s4700s are up for sale...

17. A refurbished pair I got last year for my downstairs office and second system.

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

Well, you were really never content with them. Perhaps it is time to move on. Maybe they'll work better for the next owner?

19. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Just scored a pair of old JBL L300 speakers, like these (not my pic):

[​IMG]

...always wanted to own speakers the size of washing machines... :D

(p.s. dark blue cloth grilles were included with mine)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  20. Tony Stark

Tony Stark New Member

I've always been a JBL fan. I don't own any of these awesome vintage models but I love my studio 190's.

21. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

how come?

22. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

For those of you who knew him, Dave has moved on . . . he passed away suddenly earlier this week.

RIP

23. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

Sad news.

24. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

The JBL Control 1's have been around for many years and are still great sounding bookself speakers.Rugged,well made.Go loud without any distortion.Very even sonic balance..The active version is also good.Very cheap now as well.[​IMG]

displayname and Tony Stark like this.
  25. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I've 'always wanted' a pair of JBLs... ever since 1970.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.