some LPs sound a little harsh in the upper range.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Krink, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krink

Krink Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK...I have noticed a lot of my vinyl is sounding fairly brittle in the upper range(eg: piano on Crime of the century, guitars on Animals). I listen to mostly rock, and I listen fairly loud....of ciourse it isn't near as harsh at low levels. I have an older Denon DL-160, older Sota Satellite TT with Audioquest arm, Jolida JD9 Phono stage. I recently put new Bluejean interconnects on but the harshness was there before with my handmade silver interconnects. I have tried a titch more weight on the tone arm...didn't help. I turned the treble down on the preamp....helped a bit...but lost some mids as well. I am assuming it's the denon showing it's age. Any other ideas?

2. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Have you tried adjusting the VTA?

Krink and BuddhaBob like this.
  3. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Try lower resistive loading. 1K or start at a jump below the usual 47k--say, 32k ohms. Give a listen.

VTA might be an issue but I wouldn't fiddle yet if it is close already.

Krink likes this.
  4. Try1256

Try1256 Forum Resident

Could be all the above.

Krink likes this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

What kind of cartridge and what is your gain setting? Those JD9s phono pres pump out some serious gain and you could be overdriving your preamp.

Krink likes this.
  6. jackfairport

jackfairport New Member

If one or two tracks (or LPs) sound harsh, that's one thing. But if you're getting a lot, you might want to consider how many million miles you have on the needle.

Krink likes this.
  7. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Anything over 500 hours and its possible the stylus is worn,
    When this happens it comes out of.
    The blue.
    One minute its fine ' the next
    You start to find fault
    Probably useless to try adjusting
    Presumably it was fine previously
    at the present settings.

Krink, The FRiNgE and The Pinhead like this.
  8. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Do you mean the upper frequency range is a little too bright for you, but free of any distortion? Or do you mean you're hearing some top-end distortion, especially distorted esses?

Krink likes this.
  9. Krink

yes...I've tried that.

10. Krink

Ive changed the load levels...and I use the low output goig to my preamp.

11. Krink

Yes...its not every LP. The new Wall remaster sounds amazing.

12. Krink

No...I wouldnt say distortion....just too bright for the rest of the mix...and just to harsh to listen to.

13. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

He's using a Denon DL-160 high output MC cart designed to be used on MM phono pres, I own it and its output is on the low side so I don't think overloading is an issue unless his phono pre is set to MC, then it will overload.

BuddhaBob and Krink like this.
  14. I have a Jolida JD-9 and when new, it was a little bright for my taste. I did the cable thing, power and interconnects with only a slight difference. Then I changed out the stock JJ 12ax7 tubes. I went with the new production Mullard 12ax7's. Good bass with a smooth on top end. A big plus, they were not overly pricy. If you have not already rolled the JJ's switching 12ax7's may help.

Krink likes this.
  15. Krink

I ad EH tubes installed before I bought it/ Load is set at cartridge recommended setting.

16. Krink

I just checked...and I have the PT-7 arm. I don't see how to adjust the VTA...but looking at it...the VTA looks perfect. I am messing with the damping fluid bowl right now.

17. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

But not nearly as good as the original UK.

Krink likes this.
  18. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Which pressings are they? The Speakers Corner Crime of the Century gives me ear fatigue by the third track. The Original UK does not. And I'm sure there's more than one lousy pressing of Animals.

Krink likes this.
  19. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

First thing to do is buy a replacement stylus. You'll have it on hand at any point even if your present stylus proves to be ok. You have a change in sound quality, but no changes made in the setup, so stylus wear/damage is very suspect. If your stylus is damaged, this may have further cause/effect on groove damage, perhaps the reason some records sound more harsh than others.

Aside from all of the physical set up parameters, offset, overhang, azimuth, tracking force and rake angle, one of the foremost causes of harshness is in less than optimal electrical loading of the cartridge. The load impedance and capacitive loading are major players in the sound of your cartridge.

If the loading is too low, the typical magnetic will produce a resonant peak at and above 10 kHz, and a null at about 4 kHz. Certain records may sound harsh with improper loading. Maybe it was always there, and you haven't noticed until now? In my experience, my ears have become well trained in my lifetime. I hear stuff I've never heard before, even though my ears may be biologically less sensitive than they once were.. this make no sense but it's true.

Krink likes this.
  20. Krink

yea...speakers corner of COTC. I am also referring to the new animals remaster.

21. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Oh :magoo: You have a MC high output! (Magoo you've done it again) My comment on moving magnet loading and stylus replacement does not apply here. Your stylus may be damaged, or loose... maybe a good time to have it inspected!

Krink likes this.
  22. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

This doesn't surprise me. Don't go trouble shooting your gear by these two remasters. I know the Speakers Corner COTC gets a lot of love on this forum but it's considerably goosed over the originals. It sounds nice at moderate levels but it's an uncomfortable listen when it's cranked. Unfortunately, it's hard to find a good original pressing. Even the original UK's are inconsistent. As for Animals, try finding just about any original pressing. Particularly a UK A2/B2 Pressing...I know easier said than done to find a clean/inexpensive one.

Krink likes this.
  23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

What's your room like? Do you have any treatments?

Krink likes this.
  24. Krink

No treatments...its my living room...well....my families living room....and I get to use it once on awhile.

25. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Well, that's nice and simple! If all you want to do is tame the upper end of the frequency range a little, you can either start playing around with loading as others have already suggested - a lower capacitance will probably do the trick - or you can change to a cartridge with a warmer sound. At the budget end of the range, the Shure M97xE is famously non-bright.

Ideally you'd get into loading because then you fine-tune any cartridge to suit your preferences instead of having to rule out many otherwise excellent cartridges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.