Jim James album: Eternally Even

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wild Frank, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeorgeZ

GeorgeZ Forum Resident

No changes to the bass were done here, we cut it as it has been supplied to us. It was considered to be an artistic intention. Moreover, it is very hard to increase bass when there is almost nothing present below 40 Hz and the rest seemed to be compressed.

2. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Thanks for further clarification of this issue :)

I think there was some screw up with the file that was sent for cutting, for both EU and US pressings.

The physical pressing itself is great, silent, centered, flat, all as good as it gets ;)

Johnny Wong likes this.
  3. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

I was so disappointed in my US black vinyl cut. I get more satisfaction from the Apple Music stream. I felt it lacked bass and the highs seemed smeared to me.. a disappointment as I love this album...

Joe Spivey and SergioRZ like this.
  4. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

It didn't take long for this record to grow on me. I have been spinning my gold vinyl non stop this week. What is lacks in melodic craft, is more than made up in groove, atmosphere and message. I'm surprised how much I now love this record, given my initial lukewarm feelings. The vinyl is a quiet (slightly warped) pressing but it sounds fine to me.

5. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

I finally got my hands on the vinyl. What a great album! Delightfully hazy, it might even top "Regions of Light." James really knows how to do retro without sounding kitsch.

My black vinyl sounds great, sorry to hear about others' trouble with their pressing.

Why no download code though? Capitol usually includes them in their pressings.

6. SergioRZ

Hi Jordan, did you compare your LP to any digital version of this album?

Can you share the matrix details of your pressing?

So far we have reports of "no bass" for the EU black pressing (mine) and for the Gold Vinyl US pressing.

This problem with the bass is not a pressing problem, it's been confirmed here (read above) that the source file used for mastering has nothing below 40hz.

Could it be that the US Gold and US Black have different cuts? If that's the case I would love to know :) :) :)

Joe Spivey likes this.
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Usual EU fare...I hardly buy any EU pressings now. Normally inferior on every level... thinner covers, generic mastering..sick of it! :(

8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Good to see someone from GZ with an interest. Wish you guys would stop using poor quality recycled vinyl though...

9. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

+1

Anyone have both US Gold and US Black pressings? I have the gold and can confirm the lack of low end. Had a black copy that I received for xmas, but returned it without opening.

SergioRZ likes this.
  10. FrixFrixFrix

I've got messages out to a few discogs contributors to see if they can add matrix/runout info to the US Black/Pink vinyl pages. I'll pull my Gold copy out later and add matrix/runout info. Maybe we'll get lucky and one of these will turn out to not have the flaw.

Anyone here with the US Black or Pink pressing that could help out with matrix info or results of a comparison to the digital version?

US Gold: NO BASS
    EU Black: NO BASS
    US Black: ?
    US Pink: ?

Joe Spivey and SergioRZ like this.
  11. SergioRZ

EU Black Matrix =
    Side A: 8227651-A 150255E1/A
    Side B: 8227651-B 150255E2/B

No bass :(

Fingers crossed we can find a confirmed good one :)

12. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

US pressing/ black vinyl

Stamped: Mastered By Capitol

Inscribed: side A: B002577401-A G1 IS
    side B: B002577401-B II G1 IS

The (IS) looks like an H with a sideways S in it, standing for mastering engineer Ian Sefchick.

SergioRZ likes this.
  13. FrixFrixFrix

So I'm assuming from your previous post that you've compared this pressing to the digital version and found it suffers from the same lack of bass as the others? Must be on all of them, unfortunately.

14. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

I will do another more careful comparison and post results. I didn't have a proper digital copy, I was just streaming from Apple Music.

15. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Just Tested "The World's Smiling Now" both black US LP vs. Spotify 320kpbs stream through my rasberry pi/hifiberry dac+ pro. The stream sounds twice as good. Smoother highs and much, much better bass. There is just no bass on the LP. A very unscientific comparison but sadly I'd rather stream this than listen to the LP... You can check my modest setup in my profile.

SergioRZ likes this.
  16. FrixFrixFrix

Here's matrix info for the Pink pressing (via discogs):
    • Matrix / Runout: Side A: A002577401A
    • Matrix / Runout: Side B: B002577401B
    Sounds like the same thing everyone's hearing on the other pressings. Looks like we're out of luck on this one. Too bad.

SergioRZ and Johnny Wong like this.
  17. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I do and will look tonight

SergioRZ likes this.
  18. SergioRZ

Maybe we should all send a message to the label, or even to Jim James, letting them know this went really wrong... at least we make sure they are aware of it. It's just so different to hear this album without bass... :(

richbdd01 and Johnny Wong like this.
  19. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I'll mention it to him in Mexico in a couple weeks at the MMJ One Big Holiday fest.

I'm only half kidding

Johnny Wong and SergioRZ like this.
  20. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Does anyone have the high res files? How are they...? I really wish the vinyl included a download.

21. spillred

spillred Forum Resident

I purchased it from HDTracks. Same DR values as the CD. Haven't had a chance to listen to it very closely yet, but it does have bass, at least.

22. spillred

spillred Forum Resident

Has anybody received their pink Vinyl Me Please edition? I ordered it, but haven't received it yet, and it no longer appears on their site

23. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Haven't gotten mine yet either although today I received their newest album of the month and I ordered the pink vinyl a week or so before the Album of the Month was even announced.

spillred likes this.
  24. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

I have the gold vinyl, and I don't notice the lack of bass so much, but it does lack punch. I do notice some mid to high end sibilance and distortion (especially on the vocals, high hat and cymbals). I notice it most on the first 2 tracks of side 1. Maybe it was a production choice. It does detract from the overall enjoyment of this otherwise fine album, and I'm hesitant to crank it up. Having said that, it's gotten plenty of spins in the last few weeks.

25. SergioRZ

Did you compare to a digital version? That's how you notice it ;)

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.