Who was hurt the most by not being in the Monterey Pop movie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JozefK, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

What did Crosby say?

keyXVII and jeffrey walsh like this.
  2. he put up part of the money he should have played his sound at the time might have gone over well

3. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

The Association

Dudley Morris likes this.
  4. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

He went on a rant about the JFK assassination and the Warren Commission report

5. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Laura Nyro, because the rumors that she was booed off the stage (she wasn't) dogged her for the rest of her life. Including her performance in the movie would have provided documentation of the polite-at-worst reception she really did receive. (I believe D.A. Pennebaker later said he watched all the footage and the closest he could hear to a "boo" was someone yelling "Beautiful".)

As for the Beach Boys, even if they had just done their old hits, I wonder would the audience - mostly high school students in 1963-64 - have enjoyed the trip down memory lane? We'll never know, but remember Sha Na Na was well-received at Woodstock!

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That's what happens when more than one band member isn't clear headed

7. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

sorry but the Beach Boys on stage ? they are nothing special....they were a Pop singles
    band.. a hit singles band only... most of his albuns have only 24 minutes (1964-1970)
    Pet Sounds is a great album an exception

SKean likes this.
  8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

But as the liner notes to the Live Kinks say (something like) "they were not missed, for they were there in spirit".
    I guess that's the best their PR could do, given their ban on touring the U.S. at the time.

9. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

How many people actually saw the Monterey Pop movie when it was released?

10. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I'd have to say Moby Grape did. They had just released their debut album and it was a monster. Columbia did them no favors by simultaneously releasing 5 singles which contained 10 of the album tracks on it and must have really confused buyers. I think a successful performance at Monterey might have gotten that album the recognition it deserved and who knows what might have come from that.

11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

If they really wanted to have played Monterey, they could have. Nobody (besides Ravi Shankar) was getting paid to play there anyway. Can a musician's union ban someone for playing for free?

12. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't really know. It was nowhere near as successful as Woodstock. However I get the impression it was more widely seen than Dylan's Don't Look Back, from the same director. It gave a lot of people in America their first view of Jimi Hendrix.

13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is essentially my view, although being with Matthew Katz and that 5 single release may have doomed their career beyond any salvaging.

14. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Sorry but this is an extremely misguided post for many reasons, foremost of which is the fact that, from 1971-1975, they were incredibly good live. Tight, sharp, and very contemporary sounding, even with the new arrangements of the old tunes. That's a fact jack.

See: In Concert

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

They would have played their newest songs ("God Only Knows," "Good Vibrations," "Heroes and Villains," and even "The Letter" (assuming they would have duplicated their Hawaii setlist)). That would have gone over well, especially because those Hawaii re-arrangements were soooo chill. Different vibe for the live versions that year. I think it would have gone over well at worst, great at best.

16. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Grateful Dead

linclink, ianuaditis and Say It Right like this.
  17. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

The hippies(Adler and Phillips) didn't want surf music. Look who they booked instead, Jimi and The Who
    It is start of a new era, fully bloomed in Woodstock

keyXVII, DrBeatle and mando_dan like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

None of the songs listed in the post you replied to are surf music.

19. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

The Who's amps. :mad:

DrBeatle, marmalade166 and perplexed like this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This would have fit right in at the festival.

21. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

The film wasn't shown at all until December 26, 1968 and I think most people saw it later on TV. Not sure being in the film would have had much of an impact at the time. I think a lot of bands gained fans from the people there, word of mouth after word and I'm sure it was written about in the rock magazines. Of course the film has helped secure the legacy of many of these bands over the long haul.

keyXVII and DTK like this.
  22. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Did it exactly "help" anyone? I think the only performance that is commonly known is Jimi Hendrix and the guitar fire bit became iconic but who really in general pays attention to the rest of it? I don't see people talking about the Who and Jefferson Airplane or something. Do people talk about Eric Burdon's Monterey song? Not really. Woodstock overshadowed Monterey and made it a footnote unfortunately.

23. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

None other than Clive Davis was present. He discusses how the festival changed him in his second autobiography.

zobalob and ianuaditis like this.
  24. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

At that time they did have Good Vibrations on the radio, from Pet Sounds era. Not exactly a passe record. I don't think they were wearing their stripped shirts anymore, either ;-) I'm sure they would have been fine.

oldsurferdude, limoges and geo50000 like this.
  25. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Outside of some silent film, photos and a recording of the Country Joe and the Fish set, nothing exists. It had a more interesting lineup to me. I wish it was filmed or recorded but then I wish all the stuff at the Avalon and Fillmore was too.

michanes, sixelsix and zen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.