Jim James album: Eternally Even

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wild Frank, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

Ive listened to some tracks on You Tube, but really can't tell much from that.

SergioRZ likes this.
  2. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I misread, I have the US Gold and Black version, didnt order the VMP Pink version.
    The digital/Spotify version of the album is way better than the vinyl; the funk and bass that initially made me really enjoy the album is severely lacking on the vinyl, though the black sounds slightly better than the gold

3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Why dont you tweet him Sergio as you have a twitter account and he has a verified account?

SergioRZ and Johnny Wong like this.
  4. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I sent a message to his page on Facebook, might try Twitter next ;)

richbdd01 likes this.
  5. beercanchicken

He's always on Instagram, maybe barrage him there? Did you try their webstore? Theyve responded to my complaint the SQ of an album before. They didnt do anything about it though they did release a quality "It Still Moves" shortly after..I think if Jim James knows, he'd be upset.
    Sigur Ros repressed and gave us all new pressings of () after a significant amount of people complained about a real issue.

SergioRZ likes this.
  6. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Bought both copies, black and gold and I'm not hearing any difference. Sounds like a modern day mastering. I've adjusted to this, what other choice do you have?

7. SergioRZ

This is not a mastering issue (and most "modern day" masterings do not sound like this). The total absence of low end frequencies on this LP was probably a mistake and, according to informed sources, was already on the source file sent for mastering. For this particular album the choice is to go with one of the digital versions, it seems like all the LP versions of this album are affected by the same problem :(

8. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Compare to digital. There's no difference between the various vinyl pressings.

9. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Still baffled as to how something like this could happen to the vinyl version... :crazy::doh::shrug:

10. beercanchicken

I mentioned earlier that a similar thing happened to me and a Sigur Ros album that was repressed and I bought. I dug, here's what they said was the reason; I suppose similar could happen to achieve no bass?

"thanks for the email.
    We're sorry your vinyl is defective. We've been notified by management that it seems a small percentage of the stock was pressed using a faulty ‘stamper’. This has resulted in shallower grooves, which has led to "static-like” interference. Clearly you appear to be the owner of one of these faulty pressings, but we would ask you not to worry, since they intend to replace your rogue pieces of vinyl at no extra cost to you. Please be patient, since it will take a bit of time to re-press, and please keep hold of all the packaging - inner and numbered, limited edition outer sleeves - since only the vinyl itself can be replaced.
    We are not handling fulfillment ourselves. Simply fill in the information below and send it on to the following email address: [email protected]"

SergioRZ and Joe Spivey like this.
  11. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Forgot to mention I also purchased the cd while waiting for the vinyl release. Will play both this weekend back to back.

12. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Anyone have a comparison of the pink VMP release?

13. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

I have the pink VMP version, and it's definitely lacking in bass compared to the version of the album that's on Spotify.

14. spillred

spillred Forum Resident

Could someone who has the faulty vinyl post a sample file? I'm having a hard time imagining what "almost nothing present below 40 Hz" sounds like

15. SergioRZ

I can't get a sample, but I can try to explain how it sounds... when I first played it my reaction was: "uh-oh something happened to my biwire speaker cables, low frequencies connection is lost" :D

Only after checking that all connections were fine did I realize it was the actual mastering of the LP :(

16. deadjazz

deadjazz Well-Known Member

Has anyone purchased the ATO 180 g pressing of this album? How does it compare to the black 150g and gold pressings from Capitol?

17. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Also curious to this as well although I would assume they used the same plates which had less low end.

18. Cushlamay

Cushlamay Forum Resident

Evening , Looking at picking up a copy of this on vinyl....is it really that bad?
    Loving the album , the 70s groove, its a regular return to on streaming. It doesn't seem crisp online to me either but its no bother.
    Maybe it will bother me on vinyl tho.

Anymore thoughts since May... ? Has anyone got used to the mix and still giving this a regular spin?

19. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I love the album. No sonic marvel but the music is so good

Cushlamay likes this.
  20. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

It's not bad on vinyl. Nice gold colored pressing. I listened to it a lot when I got it at the start of this year. It's relatively quiet. Honestly, I didn't notice the lack of low end until the forum started talking about it. If you like the record, it's worth grabbing as it's priced under $20.

Cushlamay and seaisletim like this.
  21. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

I noticed the omission of low-end immediately after only streaming the album and then getting the record. It’s noticeable but doesn’t deter from the enjoyment of the album. However, I’d probably skip getting the record if I had a choice at this point.

Cushlamay likes this.
  22. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Skip the vinyl, it’s the worst way to listen to this fine release. IMO

FrixFrixFrix and Joe Spivey like this.
  23. FrixFrixFrix

Yes, it's really that bad. It's not a mixing choice, it's an error that was never acknowledged or corrected.

Cushlamay likes this.
  24. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Picked up a copy of this yesterday, just hadn't been a high priority. I don't know if it's a repress or anything like that because I was completely unaware of any lack of bass until reading this thread! I was even quite enjoying how the bass guitar sounds to me!

Pressing aside, it's a very good album. I like the low-key, groove based nature of it. I've drifted away from MMJ over the last couple of albums but this is great.

25. FrixFrixFrix

Did you compare the vinyl to a digital copy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.