Beatles Anthology: what happened to the third "new" song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A well respected man, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, I wasn't there so I don't know what happened. Maybe they had decided to record and be filmed, but a song was not settled on before hand. Or, George woke up that morning and decided of all songs, he wouldn't do a symbolic version of Let It Be (perhaps bringing back the memories of being filmed and recorded doing that song back in 1969).

As for Blue Moon Of Kentucky. George is clearly telling Paul to play the Elvis "fast" version and not the Bill Monroe original that starts off real slow, then hits the rockabilly/hillbilly vibe half-way through. Paul himself does the slow/fast version on Unplugged. Ron

2. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son Thread Starter

That's right, in another moment in the garden Paul is speaking and George interrupts him by playing something on the ukelele with a naughty smile. Something was clearly going on. When Ringo says at the end "I love hanging out with you guys" it seems like his way of trying to smooth things down (kind of his role in the band many times).

Everytime I see those images I get mixed feelings. On one hand it's great to see the three of them together after so many years. On the other hand, it's awkward and sad when the tension is felt that way.

3. brainwashed

Because Yoko didn't give them that take. It seems so odd now that none of the Threetles mentioned that Real Love had already been released in 1988. A different take yes, but it was always talked about as being an unreleased song. And it's a shame that George Martin was given the same lo-fi demo for Grow Old With Me. His string arrangement is very nice, but it sounds jarring next to the extension phone-line vocal. That's Giles Martin on overdubbed bass! Ron

PS Has anyone attempted to extract and add Martin's strings to the good quality boot demo?

Yorick likes this.
  4. brainwashed

John's rather limited piano ability may have affected this as well. Much easier to transpose they key in the studio with other musicians around. Ron

5. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Maybe a gort could merge this thread with the other 'Now and Then' thread from last year. They are covering/covered the very same turf.

6. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

For me, that scene is more awkward and uncomfortable than anything in "Let it Be".

7. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

It doesn't surprise me that Paul or George didn't watch the Imagine film and therefore did not know about that superior demo of "Real Love," as they may have viewed it as Yoko spin and maybe it's just tough to watch a documentary about your dead friend just 8 years after he was gunned down.

But Jeff Lynne should have done his homework and known about the 1988 version from the Imagine film. Or maybe he did and wanted to use a different demo to base it off of because he didn't want to use what had already been released? This would be a good question to ask him.

8. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I disagree. The point of making these reunion songs was support the Anthology project and since they couldn't make a record as the Beatles without John, John would have to be singing or else it would just be the Threatles at it. That's why they reworked some of his old tapes for release. Even if they recorded "Bad To Me", having John as the writer wouldn't exactly be considered the Beatles because John had no part in recording the song. And Paul and George singing on "Free As A Bird" was the closest they could get to singing on a Beatle reunion record other than backing vocals.

blutiga likes this.
  9. Ettan

Ettan Forum Resident

The tension and release in "Now And Then" is sublime.

gottafeelin likes this.
  10. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

All For Love was never a song - the story goes that Paul was answering a question of an acquaintance "what are you working on" to which Paul replied, "a couple of Lennon demos, that's all for now love"

And the person heard "All for Love" as a song title and later recounted it.

Now should Paul go ahead and write a song with that title? You bet.

11. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I always thought the big mistake made on FAAB was to play in metronome time to John's piano demo... it would have been better for them to play at that tempo live with Ringo, George and Paul all playing FAAB (Ringo was more than capable of pulling this off) and then shoehorning John's vocal on top of that - and after the first verse, maybe they do Beatle harmony on the next...

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Yup; everytime I see that bit it I wonder how could make it to the final cut and the official release.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  13. A well respected man

About that private session Jeff Lynne talks about, do you guys think they recorded something of it?

14. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

This would have been a great track. :cool:

15. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

They did do this. One example is the version of "Raunchy" played by George Harrison in the Anthology video where Paul McCartney is talking about George having played that song as his "audition" to get into the Beatles. In the closing credits they list all the songs in the show. It says "Raunchy," and says "performed by George Harrison." I'm not sure if there are others, or if there's anything like that featuring more than one of them. But I was always under the impression that's what Ringo was talking about.

Yosi likes this.
  16. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

17. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Never knew "Now and Then" was written for Paul. Am I correct in assuming it means the song is about Paul?

18. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Looking at the lyrics it seems to be somewhat of a love song, I'm sure if John had ever released it additional work would have been done on the lyrics.

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's possible that's what he means, but it's most certainly not "clear" from what we see in the video. It's also possible that his comment means "I just want to play a short version of the song because I'm not having any fun here and I want it to be over." It's also possible his comment means something else entirely. Maybe he only wanted to play a short version because he had a loaf of bread he needed to go take out of the oven.

I'm skeptical of your theory because it strikes me as more likely he'd say "play the fast version" or "play the Elvis version" if he meant he didn't want to do a slow version. I'm skeptical of the "he wanted to get things over with" theory because I don't think he looks as miserable or uncomfortable as other people seem to think. I don't really know for sure what he meant by that comment, and I don't think there's enough evidence to say with certainty.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That's not quite true. The story is that Paul was meeting with a guy named Hodgson (who was in possession of the 1960 Beatles rehearsal tape) and during the meeting, he remarked that the previous week, the Beatles had been working on a song titled "All For Love." Given the fact that Jeff Lynne has denied the existence of such a song and the other Beatles have never mentioned it in their recollections of the reunion sessions, it seems most likely that either Hodgson misheard or misremembered the title, or else that it was a working title for one of the three known reunion recordings. Aside from Hodgon's anecdote, no other evidence of the existence of such a song exists.

21. brainwashed

I've heard that anecdote too. Not sure if it's entirely accurate, though. For one thing, why would it take two days to finish overdubs on Real Love? I don't think they were getting together because it was all fun and games. It's entirely possible that they WERE working on something original, but not with that title. Ron

22. brainwashed

All three play Raunchy during the June 22, 1994 indoor acoustic session. No idea why it would be credited to George alone, unless George played a snatch of it solo somewhere else during the show. It's been at least five years since I watched the whole set, the old mind ain't what it use to be;). Ron

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Fan-made versions of this are out there. The only thing a professional treatment could improve upon would be a backing track mix without the Lomax vocals.

Not sure it'd end up much better.

24. A well respected man

That "For Paul" note could refer to the lyrics (although they sound to me like one of the many apologetic love songs for Yoko that John wrote) or could refer to the fact that John wanted Paul to listen to it, or maybe to work on it with him. I know that in 1980 they were not considering that possibility, but who knows?

25. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I'll have to pull the DVD out and see exactly what it says. I was going to say maybe that was the purpose of that jam, but then I realized that would have been after they had recorded "Free As A Bird."

There is also an archival interview with John Lennon where he's talking about writing "Please Please Me" and he references a Bing Crosby song and sings a line from it -- that is also in the song credits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.