Alejandro Escovedo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spruce, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Thanks for the response.
    Cant believe I never heard of this guy !!!!!!!!
    is there anything better than getting turned onto great artists?
    Glen

Chris DeVoe, Zeki and strummer101 like this.
  2. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

As guitarist for The Nuns I saw him open for the Sex Pistols "last show" at Winterland. Then I started hanging out at Mabuhay where I could watch him from a few feet as he faced away from the audience due to shyness. Not many from that era are still ambulatory, let alone producing great music.

melstapler and Walt like this.
  3. sympathys

sympathys Forum Resident

Very cool story. Hard to believe that Alejandro was actually shy at one point. I've seen him twice in the last five years, and he was fantastic both times. The first time was in a small club here in Kansas City, where I swear he had more raw energy than most artists half his age. I came away from that show extremely impressed, and have been a huge fan ever since. I saw him again a couple of months ago in a larger venue in Kansas City where he got an amazing reception from the very appreciative crowd.

Zeki likes this.
  4. sympathys

sympathys Forum Resident

I would definitely try to catch Alejandro live, but in the meantime I would also recommend the more recent albums "Real Animal", "Street Songs of Love" and "Big Station". Great stuff!

Slightly off topic, but another guy you should check out is Anders Osborne.

gkella likes this.
  5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Saw him Saturday night with The Minus 5 as his backup band, and it was fantastic. His new album is great, but also, having seen him a few times with his usual band, it was really fun to see him still rocking out but with some different musicians with a totally different background. Highly recommended if you can get to any of the dates on this run. (The Minus 5 were great opening as well)

6. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

What a great duo! Hope they come close by.

Production of the new album reminds me of REM's "Monster". The Peter Buck influence certainly.

7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I started with A Man Under the Influence (actually that's not true. I heard a track from that album on the "Down to the Promised Land" Bloodshot records compilation) and it's still my favorite of his. But I don't think you can go wrong.

8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I have this 3 straight nights in NYC starting Thursday. Looking forward to these. Love the new album.

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Enjoy! The City Winery venues aren't really conducive for shows, but at least the sound should be good. The band is fantastic.

LandHorses and Long Live Analog like this.
  10. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I will be there for the first two shows.
    I saw them in Fairfield, CT, a week ago. The wintery weather was frightful - CT received a lot of snow within hours. The band arrived late, but safe and sound (in time for the show). They RAWKED. Josh Kantor (Fenway Park organist/ The Baseball Project/ The Split Squad) joined them. In fact, Josh will be at the first two NYC shows!

LandHorses likes this.
  11. anodyne

anodyne Forum Resident

I was at the City Winery show as well, and I agree -- he was wonderful. Really enjoyed the dynamic with Minus 5 and Peter Buck as backing band (and their opening set was a blast). I still have a smile on my face thinking about it.

walrus likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Which venues? I've seen him several times at Knuckleheads.

13. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

little brother , Javier , has a solo album out
    really great Stuff
    Javier was playing with him in the True Believers and was founding member of the great Zeros
    and yes , Alejandro rules

14. sympathys

sympathys Forum Resident

I saw him at the now-defunct Westport Record Bar in 2010, and also at his most recent appearance at Knuckleheads in November 2016. Great shows both times!

15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I picked up 13 years and agree it is clean and well put together vinyl release. I believe it is not fully AAA but it is done very well to my ears and should not stop you from picking up if you find a copy.

16. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

Haven't played True Believers in awhile....must get it out.

17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

If still available via iTunes, check out his guest spot with Bruce and the ESB playing "Always A Friend".

Video here as well:

Aggie87, Mr. H, anodyne and 1 other person like this.
  18. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

My favorite Escovedo solo album remains Thirteen Years, but it's hard to find a clunker in his discography. Also, I have to make special mention of the Buick Mackane album ("The Pawn Shop Years"), a side project he did with Joe Eddy Hines, David Fairchild, and Glenn Benavides. This is a full volume rock and roll album that kind of gets forgotten today, but is a must-have part of his discography.

19. windfall

windfall Senior Member

That's a great song, one of many Al wrote with Chuck Prophet:
    Chuck Prophet - Always A Friend (Live on KEXP) ยป

20. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

So far, the New York City shows have been great.

Lots of guests in the encore tonight including Lenny Kaye, Clem Burke, Steve Wynn, and Jason Victor.
    The new songs are great live.........especially "Johnny Volume."

If you live anywhere near where this tour is coming, don't miss it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.