Citizen Kane v. Magnificent Ambersons

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hotncrusty, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotncrusty

Hotncrusty Member Thread Starter

Which Orson Welles film do you prefer? I am partial to Magnificent Ambersons. I know CK always tops the AFI 100 list, but I think the scope of Ambersons is just as classic.

2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Honestly, Maginficent Amberson is fascinating even in its butchered form.
    The staging of the actors is stunning.
    Here is an example:
    [​IMG]
    He's defiant and they are all lecturing him. Just a powerful way to say so much with one frame of film.
    In the end, I'd call it a tie.
    1982 Sight and Sound poll had both in the top 10 of best all time films
    Sight & Sound - Wikipedia »

Witchy Woman and ruben lopez like this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Kind of apples and oranges, one film being completed as desired, one being altered by others.

Ambersons, by the way, is my all-time favorite novel.

4. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

If Ambersons hadn't been mercilessly chopped by the studio, it would be my favorite. Think of the stunning footage that was destroyed.

As Ambersons exists, though, I find it unsatisfying. Like Lady From Shanghai (also interesting and riveting), I can't help watching the film without wondering how sublime it would have been as Welles intended.

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I prefer Ambersons. A family ruined by changes in the world around them is a theme I can appreciate. I really like the book too.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ambersons.
    No poll ?

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Citizen Kane, for me. We studied it in film class. Good times.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  8. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Kane because it survives as realized by Welles. Ambersons is flawed because it isn't the film Welles envisioned.

:cheers:
    Cat

9. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Because Welles left the production before it was finished, leaving it in the hands of others. His own worst enemy

fr in sc and JFS3 like this.
  10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Ambersons in the state we know it doesn't come close to Kane for me. Kane is amazing, and one of my all time favorite films to watch. Ambersons is interesting but never pulls me in. I actually enjoy Lady of Shanghai more than Ambersons

Hallogallo likes this.
  11. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I can't be fair to Ambersons because I'm always aware that I'm not watching what O.W. wanted me to see; so, Kane it is.

12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Why is it always one great thing "vs." another great thing?

slstokes2216 likes this.
  13. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Citizen Kane without a doubt. A landmark in American and world cinema.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Same here. I've always found Ambersons to be boring; Citizen Kane moves very quickly, despite its length, and has several dozen characters and a very complex storyline. I think it's a much better movie overall.

Holy Diver likes this.
  15. Between the two I go for the third -Touch of Evil.

16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Kane, due to Ambersons being butchered. Touch of Evil and Chimes at Midnight have both greatly benefitted from restorations.
    Othello is another stunner!

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  17. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

A friend of mine was disappointed with AMBERSONS because it didn't have one strong central character like KANE did. But that was because in Welles' original edit, the house was the main character.

18. It also didn't help that he didn't have a writer like Herman Mankiewicz to co-write the script.

19. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Been a long time since I've seen "Ambersons" but the quality faded at the end, because of reasons mentioned earlier. I found it interesting that Tim Holt had a big role in this and "Treasure of the Sierra Madré" but has long since faded from popular recognition.

As others have noted, the line about how Kane never finished anything he started (except an opera review) applies a lot to Welles.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  20. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Tim Holt was a fine actor, but never managed to develop into a convincing dramatic lead. Bogart was the star of Treasure... and the Amberson house became a defacto star of TMA. Welles co-writing, directing and starring in CK made him both an instant star and celebrated auteur. That reputation as a visionary would both help and hinder his career in film for the rest of his life.

I've decided to spend Friday afternoon watching two films with outstanding performances from Orson Welles and Andy Griffith, the former directed by Welles, the latter by Elias Kazan. I'm confident that there'll be many others joining me in spirit (...and spirits).

:cheers:
    Cat

21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Holt's talent should have landed him better roles and a more prestigious career and lasting reputation. His only other "big" film was 'My Darling Clementine' [1947; directed by John Ford - Holt also has a small role in 'Stagecoach', another Ford film]. His studio, RKO, almost exclusively keep him in B Westerns, and shortly after 'Ambersons' he enlisted in the USAAF and saw active service in the Pacific. (He was wounded on the last day of the war flying over Toyko.) In the late '40s he moved to Oklahoma and basically retired from the movies. Apparently, he was quite happy with that decision.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  22. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

If 'Andersons' had been edited as Welles intended, I have no doubt it would have been a better film and enjoyed a greater reputation than 'Kane'.

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  23. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

+1

Why in the hell he didn't get in a plane and fly back to Hollywood to resolve the issues surrounding the film baffles me to this day. Trying to communicate edits to the film with Wise via telegram while he was still in Brazil absolutely boggles the mind.

And why, oh why, couldn't someone have had the foresight to grab a copy of the Ponoma preview print before it was recut . . .

:shake:

PhilBorder, fr in sc and adm62 like this.
  24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Superficially, he felt he was an important diplomatic mission, on direct orders from FDR. In reality he was having too much fun playing 'hooky' and partying.

25. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Too bad that Welles idea to reshoot the relevant portions of the Magnificent Ambersons decades later using the same actors never materialized. Would have been a fascinating project.

I like Citizen Kane much better than the Magnificent Ambersons. As Roger Ebert noted, you see something new each time you watch it. That could be the case the Magnificent Ambersons, but I unfortunately never had much desire to see it a second time. I probably should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.