i like my speakers up high and wide apart. am i an idiot?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pez, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Whatever blows your hair back.

2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Around thanksgiving when I put up the Xmas tree, I had to move the speakers to opposite ends of the room. I was mad but I figured, there really wasn't much choice in a crooked trapezoid shaped apt living room. The left speaker is about 8 feet off the ground facing the right wall. The right speaker is about 5 feet off the ground in the back right corner facing the center of the room.
    Anyway, when I turned on the stereo, I was pleasantly surprised. I even hear stuff coming from the center. The Xmas tree is down now but the speakers remain where they spent the holidays

sunrayjack likes this.
  3. chodad

chodad Hodad

like a wide bathroom stance?

[​IMG]

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Tweeters ear level for my sofa & in a triangle with my listening position.

Xabby likes this.
  5. Tony Stark

Tony Stark New Member

I nearly spit my water all over my screen when I saw this :uhhuh:

6. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

What hair?

Tim 2 likes this.
  7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Aha, so you already blew it all away!

MaxxMaxx4 and Tim 2 like this.
  8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'll never under folks putting speakers on the floor when their tweeters end up far from being ear level.

9. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I like my tweeters higher than ear level and wide with a sweet spot. So I guess I like it a little high and pretty wide but away from the walls.

10. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

Directions unclear; currently tangled up in speaker wire, between two bookshelves. I'm immobilized, but the stereo separation here is incredible. Please advise.

Keith V likes this.
  11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Your yoke is uneasy but your burden is right :)

12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Like the speaker placement in my TV/Family room? Safe from the Trolls...[​IMG]

Tony Stark, Clonesteak and Keith V like this.
  13. sunrayjack

sunrayjack Forum Resident

I just had a very knowledgable audio friend come over Saturday, he explained the triangle and the audiophile style of listening to me, then he set my Khorns up.
    Unbelievable , with your eyes closed you could hear the singer right in front of you and the height the voice was coming from.
    There was a Dobro coming from the left side, it was as if the guy had it on his lap and the sound was coming up from his seated position.
    It was a near religious experience , I did get goose bumps from the realism of the eyes closed listening experience.
    He said he did not understand how I could have all the different systems and no listening position.
    I told him I lived with my stereo's and listened from everywhere, that's when it hit me ,I listen like I am in a lounge with a really great hifi system and he listens like he is getting a private concert in the perfect seated position to listen.
    Sounds like you just enjoy listening to a good sounding system to me, good for you!

gkella, dkmonroe and Clonesteak like this.
  14. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

There's still a fair bit in your ear's Tommy. LOL
    Retort forthcoming.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  15. MaxxMaxx4

LOL.True but isn't that the pot calling the kettle black Timmy?:cheers:

Tim 2 likes this.
  16. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Well stereo is not just about left and right separation it is most of all about creating a 3D soundstage and especially about depth and layering.You need to teach yourself how to listen for this.
    You can't get that if your speakers are too far apart or too far away or too high or low.

17. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Interesting point, Slack. My room is 18' x 20' with a nearly 14' ceiling. I think I may pull the bookcases out this weekend and move the speakers on top.

18. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I agree with many here. Whatever sounds good to you, go for it.

19. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Now that was rude, at least you learned something from me, lol.
    My door is always open by the way, are you and the family still thinking of coming out in July ? We'll likely be out at the lake shed, lots of room for everyone there too. :cheers::cheers:

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  20. MaxxMaxx4

Yes we sure are,the lake house works for us,can't wait.Will call you soon.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Tim 2 likes this.
  21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

To allow for some maintenance in my listening room, I re-arranged my speakers out of harm's way. One went on top of set of bookshelves near the ceiling, while the other remained on its stand. After the work was done, I fired up the stereo without thinking about it and liked the sound immediately.

I tried both speakers back on their stands, I tried both speakers up high, but I ended up preferring the overall sound with this accidental asymmetric arrangement. My guess is that I got just enough bass reinforcement from the one high-perch speaker to make the sound full but not boomy.

22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

In a previous lifetime, I worked in an audio store. One customer wanted to demo gear so I helped him out. He was dissatisfied with everything. After a 10 min discussion, I *finally* discovered what he was looking for. It turns out he actually *loves* clipping! HUH??? He hated that everything in our store sounded good, clear, and with definition. He wanted murky, muddy, and distorted.

*That* guy was an idiot.

progrocker likes this.
  24. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Not if there's High Heels attached to whatever your spreading wide and high. :laugh::agree:

Tony Stark likes this.
  25. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

LOL...I had them that way for decades. The guy I bought my current speakers talked me into trying the floor and less than 10ft apart.
    I think I liked wide and high better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.