Bubbling Under (More Songs From 1971)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CupOfDreams, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

Yes I learned that as well. I loved that "Java" song by Augustus Pablo and went looking for what album it was on.. but I guess it was just a single and then re-recorded later on? What an injustice!

2. CupOfDreams

CupOfDreams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Another personal fave.

Running - Baby Huey

3. CupOfDreams

Another favorite.

Don't Let My Marigolds Die - Bill Fay

4. CupOfDreams

Recorded in 67, released in 71.

Mirror Man - Captain Beefheart

5. CupOfDreams

That's You - My Solid Ground

6. CupOfDreams

Stick By Me - John Holt

7. CupOfDreams

Construcao - Chico Buarque

8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Reggae was always a singles market in Jamaica, and it still is (just not on 7" anymore), Reggae albums really only became a thing once the music went international and was marketed to the Rock audience.

"Java" was originally released on single, just as most Reggae songs really, but it is included on many compilations, here are some: This Is Augustus Pablo (several different reissues, like VP and Get On Down, has it as bonus track), Skanking With Pablo (Trojan), Randy's 50th Anniversary (VP), Trojan Presents: Original Reggae. There are later recordings and versions, but the original is most common.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    yesteryear likes this.
  9. yesteryear

Man, Bill Fay is so underrated, or really just completely unknown. His Time of the Last Persecution album is solid gold. One of my favorite albums.

10. yesteryear

Ry Cooder - Teardrops Will Fall

11. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

12. yesteryear

Mahavishnu Orchestra - You Know, You Know

13. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

14. yesteryear

Leo Kottke - Eight Miles High

15. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

'71 has got to be one of the greatest years in rock music. Here's Dust from their first album. Marc Bell playing drums very differently than he would do later in the Ramones.

CupOfDreams likes this.
  16. CupOfDreams

Climb Up On My Music - Rodriguez

Tim Wilson likes this.
  17. John54

John54 Senior Member

Did Nice to Be Here by the Moody Blues make one of the polls? I can't remember.

Or The Fountain of Salmacis or The Return of the Giant Hogweed by Genesis? I have a feeling the latter did ...

18. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Very Good track among the other goodies posted here..

19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

One of the polls had ZZ Top's "Going Down To Mexico", but I think better representatives from First Album would have been either "Brown Sugar" (but maybe there was only room for one song of that title) or "Backdoor Love Affair" (also on the old Best Of). My personal favourites though are the two songs chosen for single release, "Shakin' Your Tree" and "Neighbor, Neighbor":

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

That is a stone cold classic Reggae tune, I actually thought of it, but wasn't sure if it was from this year.

Here's another great classic that I think is from '71, Junior Byles "Beat Down Babylon" (produced by Lee Perry):

(This is a cover of the obscure Harold Meikle and The Tropical All Stars "Righteous Rastaman", and there's actually a "H. Meakel" credit on the label here.)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    CupOfDreams likes this.
  21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Since I posted one of Bunny's before, it's only fair that Peter Tosh gets one too. Several of his best known songs came out in '71, both with The Wailers, like "Brand New Second Hand", and on his own, like "Them A Fi Get A Beaten" and "Maga Dog":

(This was neither the first nor the last time Peter recorded the song, it was originally done as a Ska number at Studio One, and later re-recorded for the '83 Mama Africa album, but this Joe Gibbs production is the classic cut, and there are of course a whole bunch of version, such as "Skanky Dog", "Boney Dog", "Maingy Dog", "Fat Dog".)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    CupOfDreams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.