Alternative to the Emotiva DC-1 DAC with similar input/output features?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by William Bryant, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm interested in getting a DAC that can also serve as a volume control and will also accept the input from an analogue line source and feed either the output of the DAC or the output of the line source through the volume control to a power amp. In other words, I'm looking for a DAC just like the Emotiva DC-1. Are there others I should consider that have the same configuration? I've looked at many Google pictures of the back sides of DACs and nothing I've in the price range has the DC-1 feature set.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Oppo Sonica DAC has analog RCA AUX inputs and may have the features you're after (and more). But it's double the price of the Emotiva.

SandAndGlass and c-eling like this.
  3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Alternatives to the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 »

c-eling likes this.
  4. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

Audio GD probably makes something that fits that requirement and KingWa's DAC's are well known for their great sonics. Worth a look IMHO.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Sony UDA-1. I have one and find it quite nice. They were on special, new, for ~$200 a while back. I don't know if they regularly return to that price.

c-eling likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Why not go with the DC-1 then? I have and enjoy mine immensely.
    Almost pulled the trigger on the Oppo, but I didn't need/want all the extra bells and whistles

YtseJammer likes this.
  7. c-eling

Five members took the time to give a couple suggestions William, a thank you or thoughts on the subject would be welcome.
    I don't like adding people to the 'Post and Bail' blacklist :winkgrin:

8. William Bryant

You're right that I need to return to this thread, but I'm not sure it's your place to call it to my attention. Or to suggest ingratitude because I haven't just yet. That's unfair.

9. William Bryant

I don't need the power amp function - my Eagle 2 will drive my Vandersteens - so I think the Sony isn't the right choice.

10. William Bryant

Out of my price range.

11. William Bryant

c-eling and Linger63 like this.
  12. Fr8dog3510

Fr8dog3510 Forum Resident

I had the DC-1 in my system for a couple of years. It was solid. Emo also has the SP-1 that connects to it if you need more inputs.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. William Bryant

Great! Thanks!

14. c-eling

Can't go wrong with DC's remote either William, Can be seconded as a home intruder weapon as well :laugh:
    Stating a budget would also help with narrowing down options :cheers:

15. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

[​IMG]These are made for home recording studios.
    M-Audio, Focusrite are a couple of brands

Mackie Big Knob[​IMG]

c-eling likes this.
  16. William Bryant

I'm bringing this thread back to life to say that I decided to go with the DC-1 and that I couldn't be happier.

Running good CDs (Peter McGrath, Tony Faulkner, etc.) from an NAD 516BEE CD player into the Emotiva DAC with a TOSLINK, and then to an Electron Kinetics Eagle 2 amp driving Vandersteen 2C speakers has given me the best 2-channel sound I've ever had in my house. Unfortunately this also means that bad recordings are revealed for what they are even more starkly. But when a good disc goes on . . . wow! Over and over, what was once a good clean trumpet section in an orchestra becomes three individual players, each clearly heard -- still together and in tune but also distinct. And same for choruses. A good alto section is now individuals blending yet still individuals. I'm not exaggerating to say this DAC is a revelation. YMMV but in my house, studying scores while listening to recordings (I'm an orchestra teacher) has just become much more useful professionally as well as much more enjoyable. Bravo to Emotiva for making a DAC this good at this price point.

SandAndGlass, bluemooze and c-eling like this.
  17. c-eling

Thanks William for the update! Glad you're enjoying it. :)
    I'm presently feeding mine into an older Yamaha AVR which does not have digital in's
    3 years running as a happy owner :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.