Is "Record Store Day" something to look forward to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GMcGilli, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All!

I'm basically just back into buying vinyl as of a week ago. I was totally out of it for many many years, enough so I had never heard of Record Store Day until a week ago through this forum. I've noticed that there have been many mentions of it in certain threads, as well as some vinyl I recently purchased noted the releases were Record Store Day editions - and each year this band had released vinyl specifically for this day.

So, is this something you look forward to? Is it a big thing for vinyl lovers?

2. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Biggest day of the year for vinyl sales at independent stores. Thus lots of opinions, and many of them long and negative. For me, I look at the list beforehand and get excited if there are things I want. Also I hope they press enough.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

No

Dennis Metz likes this.
  4. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

For me, RSD was an event until a few years ago, when the major labels seemed to have taken over. In the early days it was indy labels supporting indy record stores when they needed it most. Now it often seems like a limited launch for reissues that will become generally available just weeks later. There are still a few titles each year that I'll buy, but I won't line up anymore.

5. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

For deals on used vinyl, it's something I look forward to. For new limited exclusive stuff that causes all the traffic jams, no.

6. GMcGilli

Is there an actual list of 'new' releases? Or is it label by label? And each store holds their own promotion?

7. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Their is an official list that is collated by the "organization" that spearheads the event. Keep an eye out here: RECORD STORE DAY - Home ». Some labels release their portion of the list early (like starting soon), but the entire list is not complete until about 3-4 weeks before the event in April.

8. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

more and more record stores are carrying less RSD stuff..in my area (DC/MD/VA) I can name three stores that made a point of telling people they had ordered less stuff: SOM, RTX, The Exchange and a fourth, CD Cellar, carries less each year but they didn't post it on their facebook.... its way way overpriced..and record stores - at least around here- have been burned with people not buying the stock.. they have to shell out a lot of money up front also which they don't like..at least that is what i have heard

9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

...and we're off... welcome to Groundhog Day!

Sean, matt79rome89 and eddiel like this.
  10. There seems to be a growing backlash a brewing amongst stores. THe product is overpriced. The margin for profit is not good for the store. You don't always get what you ordered, and sometimes get more than you ordered of what you don't want. A chunk of the customers who come in for it don't tend to buy anything else. It is fast becoming a dead end. It may end up becoming an internet only thing, ironically.

11. Holy Joe

Holy Joe Forum Resident

For the people who resell on eBay it is.

Sean and Pennywise like this.
  12. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I look forward to Record Store Day mainly for all the awesome threads that pop up here. I'm a firm believer that the talk about Record Store Day can actually be a bit more entertaining than Record Store Day itself.

I live for threads that contain statements such as: "All right, a 180-g colored vinyl reissue of Winger's 'In the Heart of the Young' with limited-edition guitar pick! I've been waiting years for this!"

13. hutchenstance

I detect sarcasm....

eddiel likes this.
  14. Marc Perman

I was bitterly disappointed by the Buzzcocks' Another Music in a Different Kitchen on orange vinyl, a brickwalled mess and a good example of an RSD release that apparently didn't sell, there are still copies everywhere two years later. Thank goodness for the original Porky cut I found to replace it.

15. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Sure, I take my daughter and throw a few bones at my local record store - win-win

levi, Gaslight and GMcGilli like this.
  16. GMcGilli

Awesome thanks so much. I see that I can look at the past years RSD's and see what vinyl was created for it or advertised so this is a great way for me to get an overall vibe about this and what (if anything) there is to look forward to. :righton:

17. GMcGilli

See that's awesome! Just tonight - I was talking to my daughter about buying her her first vinyl since I have the gear setup in the living room - and would like to introduce her to it as she's only grown up with iPods and Youtube (born 2005). Her B-day is just a few days after RSD so this could be a really neat thing to share with her if some local shops - or at least - even online there are some LP's to pick up.

Next up is putting away her iPad and hooking up my Intellivision :eek:

JeffMo, Jonboy, levi and 1 other person like this.
  18. hutchenstance

so the Winger RSD release is now confirmed? :goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie:

ScottInDallas likes this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not particularly.

But if it keeps my locals in business then that's fine by me.

20. Marc Perman

Good luck with this last bit!

21. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I've looked forward to it less and less each year.

22. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

It was a noble idea at the start. But what happened was the media got hold of it, milked the hell out of it, and in came the greed and the greedy. Watch what gets offered this year, and if there are any releases that are tipped to be "hot", you can predict the rest. Just go to Ebay, even before RSD raises its yearly flag. The initiated know the drill.

23. Marc Perman

The Coachella festival has suffered the same fate as RSD.

24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Short answer? No. Only if you've got no private life.

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Check the lists from past years, music news webiste for instance, and gauge your own level of interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.