Led Zep II and Queen II - the worst productions ever?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bjohnsen74, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

So, the plan is... Let's get the multi-tracks off of Jimmy and take them into a new studio. We dump the tracks into
    Pro-tools. For all the instruments we can do sound replacements- programs where you can replace each of John Bonham's drums with samples from other drummers kits as they were recorded in certain studios. (You can change the kits, the mics, the quantity and distance of the mics, etc.) I'd get a jazzy drummer's sound...Bonham could be heavy handed at times. Then we can replace Jonesie's bass parts. Flea's sound could do the trick. Then we can re-amp Page's guitar parts through a Kemper modeling amp. No more Supro sound for Jimmy! I'm thinking we should go for a James Hetfield sound? John Mayer? Maybe the guy from Coldplay. Hmmmmm. I have to think about this a little more. As for Percy, we can even out his voice on Melodyne. Now we are moving in a positive direction. Then once it's mixed let's brick wall it to the MAX!
    You're welcome!

2. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

In comparison to Queen II, which suffers from poor sound quality due to the limitations of the technology at the time, Queen actually does from lower quality production. It's an album inherently flawed sonically. Still a killer one, though.

3. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

LZ II sounds good to me. Queen II does have an odd sound to it though. That often came with Roy Thomas Baker's production style though.

4. After briefly turning their backs on the Roy Thomas Baker production approach, it puzzles me as to why Queen then suddenly reunited with him for Jazz - an album that has equally lifeless drums. Whether you agree with the quality of their material (including the adoption of synthesisers), switching to record with Mack for the next few years was a great move because they finally sounded great.

bcaulf likes this.
  5. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I'd like the see the OP's list of heavy rock records released prior to October 1969 with superior combinations of production quality and sound quality.

6. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Much as I love this forum, I've never understood the desire for cleaner, clearer versions of certain albums (Exile, Layla, VU&Nico, Zep II etc)

For me the murkiness of the mix is a big part of the charm :)

7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The Curse Of The Audiophile. Poor things.

vamborules, yarbles and Jonboy like this.
  8. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

LZII sounds miles better than Queen II IMO. It's not perfect either, but it's clear and full-sounding. Queen II is really hit-and-miss. Some songs came out really well sonically, while others really took a hit.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Have you heard the multis that are out there for LZII? I doubt it, because if you had you would realize that much of what you write is just presumption. For the most part, the "distortion" (or, more accurately, the tape saturation) is in the mix - and was intentional. It wasn't to "mask the distortion".

You may not like it, but it was clearly an intentional, artistic choice and is a fundamental part of the sound of the album - no different than using tube amp overdrive or a fuzz box with an electric guitar.

The Elephant Man likes this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There's a difference between you not liking the sound and the sound being poor.

vamborules, Jonboy and ledsox like this.
  11. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Well said.

12. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

queen 2 yes...too much overdubbing

zepp2 no....something is wrong on your end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.