The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I've been telling myself that for years.

2. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

This is the year, guys! Let's be optimistic.

LUNACHUCK and warewolf95 like this.
  3. JayB

JayB Senior Member

7/6/90 II is a favorite of mine. It has a great jam in the 2nd set directly after He's Gone.

4. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

How about E81 "tour"? There were some London shows in Oct of that year - I had some cassettes "back in the day" that I enjoyed quite a bit. There are of course excellent shows hidden in the "meh" years...

Actually 14 shows on that tour, including 5 nights in London. Looks like I don't have much '81 or '82 on my hard drives, just my old tapes...

5. Billy_Sunday

When us Santa Cruz 'heads saw what went down on Bob's birthday that year, we were all pretty blown away. And a bit jealous/pissed off! Seemed that the biggest bust outs were usually out East.

There was a big Earthquake here the next day - 10/17/89, 5:04pm. Shakedown Street, indeed! :)

LUNACHUCK and warewolf95 like this.
  6. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Best show (that I've heard) from E81 is Barcelona 10/19/81. Probably my favorite Sugar Magnolia, and of course they throw in a Spanish Jam.

Unfortunately not in the Vault. :thumbsdow

7. Billy_Sunday

It's in MY vault! ha ha. That is, I know I have an old tape of that show somewhere.

At this point I generally assume that anything I had on cassette has been "upgraded" in the digital realm. But there probably are some old tapes in those boxes of sources that still don't widely circulate. Hmm. I do not have the time to investigate that. Anybody want to go through a few hundred GD cassettes??

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Unusually, they played London twice in 1981, in March and October. Of the Europe shows that year I've only heard the Essen show that was a pro-shot video (including a great "Sugaree") although in his book Phil mentions that he thought that was a bad show.

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The shows that had been mixed before the E72 box set feature some stereo effects every once in a while. In this case, Jerry's guitar goes from the initial left to right and then comes back. Nice choice by Mr. Norman.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and Archtop like this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

0:10 Donna gives thanks in German :D
    Great, great post, Archtop :thumbsup:

warewolf95, Crispy Rob and Archtop like this.
  11. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Yes indeed. This version is particularly effective in headphones. I figured that what I was hearing there from Jerry wasn't exactly how it sounded live (unlike, say, Phil's Quad Bass), but it's a subtle effect that's quite pleasing to the mind.

LUNACHUCK, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  12. Billy_Sunday

9/19/1970. I finally listened to this one. Been reading about it for the last 6 months or so. @Archtop I think has listened to a specific 10 minute segment of this show well over 100 times and is writing a book about it!

I would like to read that book when it is ready! Obviously, great Dark Star. I can't write or say anything else here that hasn't already been said, and probably better than I could anyway. But I will say this, what a great Dark Star! LOL. Seriously, the "thick air" does get pretty thick a bit after v1. There must be almost a minute of virtual silence! I can see how this 'Star encapsulates the evolution of music itself in the span of about 10 minutes. Silence, then some incongruous sounds, a hint at some rhythm, and wait here comes some melody.... to the point where we eventually get back to the main theme, and v2. Great stuff.

The Lovelight closer is fun too. Interesting rap from Pig. This one ain't subtle, "Let's F***!" OK then....

Thanks to this forum for lots of enlightening discussion and a special thanks to all of you who point out the coolest of the killer jams and to all of you who seem to know so much about tapes, sources, stories, etc.

13. Billy_Sunday

Speaking of tapes.... what's the deal with 10.31.80? An incomplete version hit etree a few weeks back, I was curious but didn't pull the trigger. Then it disappeared.

This week, it was back again and as far as I could tell, the same content as before. No mention of previous failed upload or problems. This time I grabbed it. And now, it is gone again.

@US Blues - or anyone else - know the story here? Why is it getting knocked off etree?

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Let's just say that I'm trying. I have a strong premise and I've got a handful of pages so far. I doubt that it will be more than 30-40 pages or so (I don't want to try to start dragging too many metaphysical comparisons in to dilute the point), so it would have to be a small press thing; perhaps 50-100 copies in wraps and maybe an additional 26 lettered copies in boards. I know several small press publishers and may see if I can get one to bite. The GoGD might not be their cuppa chai.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I've still got to write the damn thing! But interesting that you mention the near minute of silence. More on that later.

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

After having listened to @Archtop favorite "Playing" from the European tour, I realized that I would need several lives to assimilate all those shows properly. Add to the porch crusher all the jams from my favorite official live releases... Impossible task, ain't it?
    I think that the only Dead jam I know by heart is the classic 2/27/69 "Dark Star".

16. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

:biglaugh:

Nothing like a well-timed riff on Yakov Smirnoff.

Listening to the DaP 10 bonus disc as I continue through all DaPs.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  17. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Long week, already! Winding down with my man Scotty Metzger. Solo, acoustic, and almost dead...

Ophelia
    The Race Is On
    Me & My Uncle
    Katie Mae
    I Knew The Bride (When She Used To Rock And Roll)
    Rome Wasn’t Built In A Day
    Throwing Stones
    1952 Vincent Black Lightning

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Alphabetically by artist. This is under O, Not Garcia or Grateful Dead

LUNACHUCK, Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Since I have now heard the 3/23/72 stand-alone 2 verse twice now I plan on "knowing it by heart" soon.

I'm sure I don't listen to as much music as many or most here (I used to listen to insane amounts of music back in the day), but I do believe I've heard at least 20 Dark Stars multiple or many multiple times all for the first time over the last year. What an experience it has been. I think the one that got me started (and really got me crazed about the Dead over the last year) was the 2/13/70 version and then the 2/14/70 stuff that is also on Dick's Picks 4. This 3/23/72 version is as incredible as at least 7-8 other versions I've experienced for the first time. As most of you know these are all officially released versions. I think the ones that make me the craziest (besides the above 2) are 10/31/71, 4/8/72, 4/24/72, 5/11/72, 9/21/72, 3/28/73, 11/11/73 & 12/6/73.

All have and are making deep impressions. Plus I've enjoyed the more concise earlier late 69 & early 70's versions found on Dave's 10 & 19.

The best news is that I'm still looking forward to many others - 9/27/72, 10/19/73 & 2/24/74 come to mind plus the other Dark Stars I've yet to hear from the E72 tour. Trying to gather the forces within a few months to get a few of the sets that contain these unknown to me Stars. I need to remind myself to continue to savour the ones I've only heard 2 to 3 or even 5 times and continue to revisit them. So it's really best if I take me time.

20. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

:tiphat: to @Wright for bringing this up in the Monterey Pop Festival Thread. I was looking for a better sounding youtube version of this, but meanwhile the cover of this bootleg CD bears posting: "Beach Boys meet the Greatful Dead at the Fillomor :unhunh:"

21. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

The whole show is here:

Relisten »

Anyone know how that guest spot came about? Did Bill Graham set it up?

22. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

As I think I've commented before, it's also the only time that Jerry played in the land of his paternal ancestors. (Although they came from the opposite end of Spain...)

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

From what I've read among the usual suspects - JGMF, LIA, Lost Live Dead etc., the Beach Boys signed with the Millard agency, Graham's company that also represented the GD at the time, in 1971. The two bands were on the same billing at a show at Duke University on 4-24, where the Beach Boys said they'd been waiting for 4 years to play with the Dead, probably a reference to having missed out on Monterey.

Then there's this from Rolling Stone, courtesy of LIA's 'Dead Sources' Blog:

APRIL 27]

"I want you to meet another famous California group," said Jerry Garcia, late in a Grateful Dead set at the Fillmore East one recent mid-week night. And who appeared but the Beach Boys. They did four numbers, including, appropriately enough, "I Get Around," then jammed with the Dead for a good 45 minutes, doing numbers like "Johnny B. Goode," "Searchin'," and "Okie from Muskogee." Bob Dylan watched from the sound booth commenting, "F###, they're damned good." Then the light show flashed the word "Dylan" for an instant, and Bob, his privacy jeopardized again, split out the door.

(from "Random Notes," Rolling Stone, May 27 1971)

The Beach Boys are now in discussions with the Grateful Dead for a possible joint tour, having gotten along so famously on stage at the Fillmore East a few weeks back.

(from "Random Notes," Rolling Stone, July 8 1971)

I doubt there's another era of either band where they would have fit together that way.

trumpet sounds, budwhite and Wright like this.
  24. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Sounds like two kits on "Johnny B. Goode" - is that both Billy and Dennis?

25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I agree, I like the 10/9 and 10/26 Dark Stars better than the 10/16 one, although 10/16 is still quite a good show overall.

LUNACHUCK likes this.