Which do you prefer - *Early* Beatles or *Late* Beatles (red/blue timeline)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sister Disco, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sister Disco

Sister Disco Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cast your vote here.

I know a poll like this was done previously, but I'd like to shake it up a bit by following the "Red album (1962-1966)" and "Blue album (1967-1970)" path. Revolver may tip the scale for some and spice up the poll a bit.

Awesome Connor likes this.
  2. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Revolver does tip the scale. That, imo, was the start of a new Beatles. Could even argue that Rubber Soul was the start of that. In any case, I choose late Beatles.

3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

:shrug:Tough one because I prefer the Red LP over the Blue LP, but prefer the later Beatles over the early Beatles LPs (most nights).....:sweating:

geddyfleaharris likes this.
  4. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Not a tough choice at all, late all the way.

Goggen, Tanx, Zoot Marimba and 5 others like this.
  5. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Early. Easy. They were conquering the world, making films, touring. They had to make the breakthrough, they had to be something very special. Later years, on top of the heap, too much filler.

6. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

7. Sister Disco

Sister Disco Forum Resident Thread Starter

True, but one could argue that Revolver is "old" Beatles because it was their last album released when they were touring, not to mention their last album released before the band started growing mustaches. :p

Awesome Connor, bhazen, e.s. and 5 others like this.
  8. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I could accept your opinion here very easily. However, they were still touring after Revolver. It was recorded fairly quickly. At this point George is fully engaged and had three songs on that album. We see him lose interest during the sessions for Sgt. Pepper. They are still very much a band at this time. So I think drawing the line at Pepper to denote the later years is a fine demarcation.

Oh, and I vote early years. This is a fairly recent development. In the past I used to favor the later years.

9. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

True, very true...

Sister Disco likes this.
  10. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I admire their early period the most because it was mainly live in the studio and it sound fantastic. There are significantly fewer good albums that have been made that way.

bherbert, ajsmith, goodiesguy and 2 others like this.
  11. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I voted for early Beatles since Rubber Soul & Revolver are included.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  12. 905

905 Senior Member

Early Beatles.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  13. It's tough because I love everything from "Rubber Soul" on and also love "A Hard Days Night"

14. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Tough call, but Late wins on points. Rubber Soul and Revolver are great albums, but the early period is weighed down by material where they were still learning their craft. If I had to pick a peak era, it would be late '65 to late '67, but there's good stuff to be found throughout their catalog.

Paulwalrus and Robbieboy like this.
  15. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Very tough. My favorite has always been Abbey Road. And I love Pepper. But I think I'd have to choose 1962-1966 if I could only have one era of Beatles.

16. John54

John54 Senior Member

17. Darryl D.

Darryl D. Forum Resident

I initially fell in love with the red era Beatles, but the blue Beatles are way cooler. Still, you never forget your first love. Put me down for red.

Chance, OptimisticGoat and Dream #9 like this.
  18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It is a reasonable demarcation, but I'm largely a '65-'68 type, so I abstain.

smoke, sound chaser, Keith V and 2 others like this.
  19. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

moptops every time.

20. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I went with Late Beatles because two of my three favorite Beatles albums (White Album and Abbey Road) are included. A Hard Day's Night is the third of my 3 faves but the early era had a lot of albums (PPM, WTB, BFS and Help) on which only about half of the songs really appeal to me.

The early era singles are stronger and Yellow Submarine and LIB weaken the late era but song for song I prefer post-'66 by a small margin.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Despite Red/Blue, I feel more like there's 3 phases of The Beatles.........

Early - through 1965 (Help!)
    Middle - "Day Tripper" single/Rubber Soul through the psychedelic albums
    Late - The Beatles/Let It Be/Abbey Road

I love it all.

22. keoni

keoni Senior Member

I'm very glad this is only an internet poll and not an actual choice I have to make.

23. WilliamPoe3

WilliamPoe3 Active Member

Late Beatles. Though both periods are excellent.

24. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I agree, that's a better demarcation of the band's songwriting and studio prowess. But even with this I would choose the Late era.

Hammerpeg and Paulwalrus like this.
  25. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Difficult. Even though I accept your rationale for the red/blue split, I think a better poll would have been early/mid/late Beatles (pick any two).

In the 3-choice scenario I would have chosen mid+late (to include RubberSoul+Revolver).
    In the actual 2-choice scenario I chose late with the pain of excluding RubberSoul+Revolver.

Edit: Just notice that LandHorses made a similar post a few minutes before I posted this. I'm not the only one with this idea!

delmonaco, jmxw, warewolf95 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.