Badfinger...anyone listening lately?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RoryStorm, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I am a guy who has consistently defended Joey Molland against a wide range of criticism from folks into Badfinger. I have some of his solo albums, consider him the band's second best writer, and have read his auto bio a couple times. I saw him do 4 Badfinger hits at Hippiefest about 6 years ago, and enjoyed it enough that I was excited to go see a full show by Joey Molland's Badfinger tonight at BB Kings.

He came off as a nice guy, telling his I'm sure often told stories between songs. He was having fun on stage playing. But musically I was unimpressed. He has very little left of his old voice. Little vocal power, unsteady pitch and hoarse. If I was playing in a band with him, I would tell him to let someone else do the singing. To his credit he did that at times. Unfortunately the bassist was only adequate as a singer. The keyboardist/2nd guitarist was the stronger singer but only got to do lead on one song. And the harmonies (a key strength of Badfinger), were shaky.

Instrumentally they were no great shakes either. The backing band was decently professional but rarely inspired. Joey did a nice job getting the classic lead sound on a couple tunes (Without You was best in thst regard), but did not do any particularly ripping lead improv, and some songs were very lacking (Day After Day without slide guitar and without any real attempt to recreate the sound without a slide).

It was also disappointing how few of his own Badfinger tunes (a third of their catalog) he touched, focusing instead almost exclusively on Pete's tunes. Without looking it up, I believe the ones of his own he did were Flying, Suitcase and Mean Jemima (he also did 4 or 5 of his solo tunes).

It was nice to see him and hear his stories and I am glad I went. But I won't be going back to see him again.

I walked away feeling that if you gave me a week to rehearse with the three guys he was playing with I could work up a more compelling performance of most of those tunes. That's not because I am great. It's because tonight he was pretty shaky.

And my glass came about 10 minutes after they opened my $9 now flat beer. :)

D.B. and lukatherfan like this.
  2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

That's a shame. I know the three times I've seen him - twice with the A Walk Down Abbey Road tours in Atlantic City and once at a Hippyfest show in CA - I noticed his voice becoming more strained each year. What helped back then in all three occasions was that he was backed by Godfrey Townsend's band, excellent musicians/vocalists that really strive to make it sound quite good in fact. I've also seen a couple shows at BB Kings on 42nd St. and the high priced beers were not my favorite highlight of the night. ;)

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Interestingly Godfrey was in the house and Joey asked him if he wanted to come up and add some slide to Day After Day. Unfortunately he did not.

Hawkeye likes this.
  4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for the review, that's really unfortunate Joey and Godfrey weren't able to perform on a couple songs, or the encore last night! He's an amazing guitar player.

Hawkeye likes this.
  5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I saw a Setlist posted online for Joey's 1/15 Mohegan Sun show, and youtube clip of the opener Money/Flying:

One of the Forum members mentioned his friend is drumming with Joey currently, like his strong playing (like Mike Gibbins!)

Money
    Flying
    Suitcase
    Come and Get It
    I Don’t Mind
    We’re for the Dark
    Happy
    Baby Blue
    Dream of Thunder
    Take it All
    Without You
    Day After Day
    I Got You
    Moolah Rey
    Midnight Sun
    Vampire Wedding
    No More
    No Matter What

Encore:
    Mean, Mean Jemima

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Hawkeye likes this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Notice how the bassist has the same hair style Joey had in the early 70s?

Drummer was pretty good. Do you feel that clip is inconsistent with my review from 3 days later?

I am really not hearing any great vocal or guitar work from Joey there either, though that was one of the better parts of the show I saw (mostly the same tunes in a different order)

7. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

I'm amazed that Joey doesn't play what I consider to be his best song -- "Love Is Gonna Come At Last".

I love that song,
    Tom

8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I think the setlist could be mixed a bit with some of Joey's Classic Badfinger songs by now (2017), but it's hard to please everbody or hardcore fans!

I still give props to Joey, he still plays Live shows given most of the flak online, and has since 1984. I cannot speak for Pete, but he was Positive the band jam more back in the day! How many "Classic" rock singers still have the velvety voice from the albums we all loved and bought! Everyone can be a critic, and factor in member Billy Davis passed away (vocals&Guitar) that has to take some wind out of the sails, and yet Joey is showing up. He never was a perfect performer and on great nights he can still play a mean guitar!

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Not down on Joey, just giving an honest review of the show I saw. Would you rather I not post about it or sugar coat it?

longdist01 likes this.
  10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Rfreeman likes this.
  11. fab432

fab432 “To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!”

I think it is reasonable to expect any aging working, touring musician to have changes in their vocal or musical abilities. I also believe they have good days and may be not so good days just like the rest of us. However the thing is they are out there bringing it to the people and that is also a good thing as there will come a time when this won't be possible. It must be hard for a musician to reach that day when they realize it is no longer possible to recreate their music in the way they used to. Time to hang up the instrument and retire. Until that time we have a choice go see them when they are in town or not go see them. I have seen many acts that didn't quite hit the mark on that particular night but there was always a moment of brilliance that made up for it.

Lastly I love reading real concert reviews and there is no need to sugar coat it. If it was not so good tell it like it was same for when it was great. I say thanks for taking the time to tell us about it.

12. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

I was spinning the Ass album last weekend and it struck me for the first time that Joey's strongest work is on this LP I think.

Criminy pete, longdist01 and Peter_R like this.
  13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Yeah half of this album and a couple (Island, Give It Up & Andy Norris) on first Warner Bros!

14. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Stumbled across this thread just as I was spinning a copy of Ass that I just busted open the seal on!
    Anyhoo....minty fresh!
    F1, KP x 2 press.
    [​IMG]

Mlle. Aurora and longdist01 like this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Here's a cool Tee Mike Gibbin's had up on his website around 2000 from the graphic of ASS inner sleeve.

16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Why bother listening to Badfinger when superior cover versions are available ? :D

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    D.B. likes this.
  17. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

:laughup:

Glenn Christense likes this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

how about a Live cover?

19. Glenn Christense

Actually the backing band isn't bad at all. I expected worse, but the vocals.....:p

20. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Oh my!!

longdist01 and Glenn Christense like this.
  21. Glenn Christense

:laugh:

longdist01 likes this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Nice to hear Pete's demo of this "Classic" of Power Pop!

Criminy pete likes this.
  23. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Listening through this album, it's unfortunate a Single wasn't mixed for this sobg with Drums "punched up" like Radio mix for Baby Blue. Nice strong guitar from Pete towards end.

24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Another beautiful, strong song from Pete. Wonderful blend of Acoustic and Electric guitars!

25. John54

John54 Senior Member

I heard No Matter What at my poker tournament on Saturday, so I guess in that respect I have been listening ...

But I play Maybe Tomorrow, Carry On Till Tomorrow and Baby Blue reasonably frequently. Mostly on YouTube, but yes I do have them on vinyl and CD.

longdist01 likes this.