Contemporary jazz lyrics...completely irrelevant?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lucan_g, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why is it that most contemporary jazz songs seem to place no emphasis on lyrics? Whenever I'm listening to a jazz station and a modern vocal track comes on, the lyrics always seem completely inane.

I typically prefer my jazz without vocals...but if you are going to go to the trouble of singing words...at least try to write something interesting.

Am I missing the boat on modern jazz vocal songs?

Robert C and Fred68 like this.
  2. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

i have always felt this way. a lot of times they are about jazz or jazz legends or mannerisms that seem hip in the jazz community. i think they could suck a lot more listeners in if they had something of value, poetic nature. i am sure there will be forum res' that give some specific examples of one's that don't but overall i think it is a valid statement. i know when you have good lyrics with rock based jazz stuff like the dan and dreams i gravitate towards it quickly.

lucan_g and Robert C like this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Try Patricia Barber.

lucan_g and Wounded Land like this.
  4. Fill Your Head

Fill Your Head Forum Resident

I agree completely.
    It's as if the vocalist has to sing something and someone in the band quickly makes up some half baked lyrics of the "love is the answer...if you look into your mind" type.

Diana Kral (if you consider her work jazz) sings some interesting words if she's doing songs by Elvis Costello or Tom Waits or somebody.

Maybe Costello could write some more jazz type songs,like Almost Blue.

Patricia Barber has good lyrics,as mentioned above.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    lucan_g likes this.
  5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident Thread Starter

I shall investigate more carefully. Thanks for the rec.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.