Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

NP:

I've been listening to this for years. Never realized it was a comedy record. "Guitar HERO" during Party Girl as Edge hits clam after clam. Gotta love it!

[​IMG]

3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yeah, it's a good thing that he has such a good voice since his guitar playing is so pathetic and his songwriting is so shoddy.

:shh::laugh::tiphat:

Erik B. likes this.
  4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I have the CDs, but since I was posting it in the 'best backing vocals' thread...

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This is good, but if you have good boots from this era, it's not especially surprising or enlightening over what's been floating around over the years. That said, I bought it almost right away. But the point is to beat the boots.

And I'm sure in sound quality it must beat the boots, but again I wasn't blown away so maybe not so much.

OK, I'm putting it on right now.

I'm going to post the artwork too. Is that a violation as budwhite just did? Will I get "moderated?"

[​IMG]

This is a picture from the inner artwork, or booklet, or whatever. So I don't get Gorted.

I got Gorted in the "Why No Pete Solo Albums" thread. A serious troll was saying every dirty thing you could say about Pete. And I responded to a response to the troll. I never addressed the troll directly. My first message was "It's times like these when I wish we had a dislike button." And then someone not the troll responded to me, "That's why we have the ignore function." And I said, "Oh, right, thanks for reminding me, I haven't had to use it in quite awhile."

And my responses above were deleted for "feeding the troll."

Man, my responses were not feeding the troll, except in the most cursory sense. It's not like I went all @CrispyRob at the Fillmore and tried to hip check some guy into the boards. :D I mean he went all Hanson brothers, and I'm not talking about the musical group (which is actually just named Hanson and boy don't I feel gross just having typed "Hanson" three times.

Just kidding CrispyR.

Yeah, so now I'm listening to Chicago '78.

This is a long, fairly well-written post. It's almost bass player quality.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  6. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

You learn something new every day

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Today at work

McCoy Tyner - The real McCoy
    McCoy Tyner - Expansions
    Miles Davis - The cellar door sessions
    Herbie Hancock - Head hunters

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

[​IMG]

Spiral Stairs, The Real Feel. Bought this when it came out in 2009, but have pretty much ignored it ever since, despite really liking his work in Pavement and his earlier essentially solo stuff with Preston School of Industry. Really liking this tonight, and looking forward to the new album coming out soon.

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I love Coltrane and if I had to choose a world without Coltrane versus one without Mobley, I would have to keep Coltrane. But luckily I don't, because Mobley has got soul, and I love his stuff, too.

10. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Hah. Unpopular opinons don't fly 'round these parts. We're all supposed to goosestep into the Grate Universal Truth together? :D

I really do not see what is so funny about prefering something other than the rest of the crowd, but then again 'you learn something new every day', eh, @Erik B. ... But yeah, I do think he's overrated as a guitarplayer. Sloppy and noisy (not in a good way) and I do not find his songs to be that appealing for the most part. You know, my opinion and stuff, not me trying to tell you that you are listening to it wrong.

But I do like his voice. Because it is never valued by anyone and it is in it's own way very expressive and human. What a bunch of... :shrug:

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

You know what resolves an argument with your significant other? Going into the other room with your acoustic guitar and singing Idiot Wind. Just kidding, but when I was an 18-year old idiot I once tried that tactic.

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Hey, just because I put on the foil before shows at the Fillmore doesn't mean I don't play by the rules.

wavethatflag likes this.
  13. BurtThomasWard

On a bit of stoner kick lately. Here's some bad vibes (in a gooooood way) via El Wiz and Witchcult Today. Not for the fainthearted, of course.

Neither is life :righton:

Phoenician likes this.
  14. budwhite

It's true, his voice doesn't get a lotta praise per se. But I love it and it wouldn't be Hendrix without it. Just like with Garcia.

I like Derek and Dominos longer take on Little wing but I don't really feel it when Clapton sings it. But when Jimi does, oh it's a thing of beauty. And the guitars through a leslie speaker :love:

15. BurtThomasWard

Yup, this is how I feel as well ("LW" is probably my favorite Hendrix song, boring as that may seem) and I think that Layla is the album where Eric sings the best he's ever done. But mostly on the originals. Probably because the subject matter is so personal.

And it is not that I do not like Jimi, he's just not a personal favorite.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    What is this ****? Well, it's one of my favorite volumes in the Bootleg Series, mainly because it covers an era in Bob's career that I find extremely beautiful. Listening to the 2-cd version right now.

wavethatflag, Erik B., mgb70 and 4 others like this.
  17. budwhite

Wow, Miles Cellar Door December 1970 shows are spectacular. With a young Keith Jarrett on fender rhodes and a cool bass player that I don't know anything about. Glad I finally made time to listen

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

My main problem with Miles Davis is that I'm not a big fan of his own playing :hide:

19. budwhite

Trumpet or just Miles?
    He doesn't play that much on this set actually. And one can totally hear that GD was influenced by Miles's electric band around this time.

Erik B. and Dahabenzapple like this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    This electric set just kills me, it's so heroic and decadent at the same time. So lethargic and intense. Astonishing.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I meant Miles Davis as a trumpet player. I don't dislike what he plays, but it doesn't thrill me much either. That has saved me lots of money, though! :D

22. budwhite

re: London 27 May 1966

I sampled a few acoustic songs and also Tell me momma yesterday from the tour closer.
    His ramblings about not writing drugs songs is funny. But damn he sounds stoned out of his mind. Never heard him quite like that before. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors about heroin are true

Erik B. likes this.
  23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, Bob is exhausted, fed up with the audience's reactions, and under the effects of some substance. Anyway, like I said many times, he remembers every word and gives it all. I love his "whether you like it or not, punks, we're going to play the whole set" attitude.

wavethatflag and Erik B. like this.
  24. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

25. budwhite

How he can remember all those words and in right order is impressive

Rne likes this.