Jethro Tull-Favorite of the deluxe boxed sets?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I am so happy, that this is NOT the case.

Pete Puma likes this.
  2. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Minstrel, followed by A Passion Play. Previous to the remix programme my favourite was Thick As A Brick but I feel that SW made virtually no improvement to it.

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Gave Stand Up "Elevated Edition" SW stereo remix a spin, having never heard the album, and I'm impressed. I have the other albums from this poll on forum favorite 80s CD. So, were the other titles remixed and offered in 'elevated' packaging? Which were most widely praised for stereo mix (original or remix) sound quality?

Juggsnelson likes this.
  4. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I can't speak to the stereo mixes (the 5.1 are Great!) but at such a low price point, these are all worth picking up just for the bonus tracks/video footage/books alone!

Runicen likes this.
  5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Is there a Benefit with the rectangle book style packaging?

More importantly, is there a realistic chance for a similar issuance of This Was? And further, an "adapted" version of Thick As A Brick?

6. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Not that I'm aware of.

7. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

No. Or not yet, at least. It could be done with the Carnegie Hall show as a bonus some day, but i quess it won't happen until everything else has been done. Same goes with Thick as a Brick.

Steven Wilson mentioned This Was as part of his future projects on Facebook a few months ago.

jh901 likes this.
  8. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

This may or may not be the best place for this question, but are any of the early 2000s remasters still needed if you've caught up with all the deluxe editions (we're at SFTW as of this writing)? Thanks in advance.

9. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Just wait for the next remixes instead of getting the remasters. They have better sound and more tracks. Hopefully the 80s albums get the remix treatment.

10. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Sorry, my question was not specific enough: are there any bonus tracks on the remasters that can't also be found on the Wilson remix sets?

11. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Nah. Everything is covered on the remixes. There's an extra worth album of new studio stuff plus plenty of orchestral, quad and live stuff which we gain from the remixes.

whiskeyvengeance likes this.
  12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Toss all of those Tull remasters.

whiskeyvengeance likes this.
  13. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Burning Shed have emailed to say my SFTW set is on the way. :goodie:.

14. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Same here!!!!

15. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Warchild for me, I love them all but it's the only one which made me truly reappraise the album. A great set, packed with great extras

tootull likes this.
  16. Great extras, particularly if you were only familiar with the original release. There is practically a whole other album's worth of songs to discover.

tootull likes this.
  17. I think Aqualung is the most improved mix in this series. However, they are all magnificent. I have all of them except for 'brick'.

I'd never heard Minstrel or Too Old... before buying these sets, so these versions are my only experience with this music.
    Many here seem lukewarm or even dismissive of Too Old... but I think it is a highly enjoyable, unique and successful album.

I really hope that SW tackles This Was and that they also repackage Benefit, perhaps with a surround mix of the Carnegie show?

These Tull sets and the King Crimson box sets are the gold standard for reissue campaigns!

tootull likes this.
  18. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Love WarChild & Minstrel in the Gallery. Pepsi or Coke? Minstrel in the Gallery is my favourite Tull
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Runicen and highway like this.
  19. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Or, do as I did and gift them to friends who aren't Tull fans (yet) but who are receptive.

Win-win! :D

20. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

I really hope to see TAAB reissued, never picked it up because of the error and just kept putting it off because of the lack of any new content. Now it's out of my price range. There just has to be something in the vault to make this worth putting back out there. Didn't Wilson say he wanted to release the initial studio run-through or something? That would be wonderful. I'd love to see This Was and Benefit out as well just to have on my shelf for continuity's sake, these sets are beautiful to look at, the booklets are incredible. I'd love to see things carry on through the 80s, hell go through the 90s too, and don't skip on the live albums. I want it all!

Runicen and BwanaBob like this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Hmmm, gimme about a week, and I'll get back to you... ;)

tootull and Keith V like this.
  22. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The two disc Aqualung from 2011 was the first and most revealing but I voted Benefit because of the vintage mixes they found.

Too Old Too Rock and Roll is surprisingly good considering I don't like the album all that much.
    Commercial Traveler and Salamanders Rag Time are two of my favorite Jethro songs.

Plan9 and tootull like this.
  23. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I love `em all, bloody superb music, Steven Wilson, great value for yer money. :cool::laugh::agree::wave::cheers::edthumbs::shtiphat::edthumbs::cheers::wave::agree::laugh::cool:

Runicen, Keith V and tootull like this.
  24. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

& you will need time, Songs from the Wood studio tracks are a perfect 5.1 mix fit for me.

:hide: :laugh: always good for a bit too fast laugh...ICE CREAM for all!

Bernard hansen likes this.
  25. Minstrel is brilliant all the way through, Aqualung is second for me. Thick As A Brick didn't seem like it was anything special to me. The others I am still waiting to hear so my vote is a small sample.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.