Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Josta Voke

Josta Voke we do beg your pardon but we are in your garden

Jesus, first and foremost check out The Chasm, one of the best death metal bands of the late 90s+ beyond. Sort of a cross between Morbid Angel and Dissection, very melodic, very cinematic. Procession to the Infra-World might be the best entrance to them. Honestly I've yet to hear a single song of theirs that wasn't fantastic. Daniel Corchado is one of the most tragically unsung songwriters in the genre; sort of disappeared for several years so I was more than ecstatic to see his band is back in the studio.

Malokarpatan is really lo-fi but sounds like Venom playing in an epic old school style, like Tormentor or at times even Maiden. They use a lot of Slovakian folklore in their presentation, too.
    Stridžie dni, by Malokarpatan »

And Progenie Terrestre Pura is spaced out black metal. Very much headphone trip music. Has a weird soothing effect. Total wall of sound.
    U.M.A., by Progenie Terrestre Pura »

2. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Did you pick up the Infernal Depths of Hatred vinyl? Happy to see it treated so well.

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Shall do, Professor. :righton:

Josta Voke likes this.
  4. Josta Voke

Josta Voke we do beg your pardon but we are in your garden

I don't have a turntable but I do have their 4 albums on CD. As well as that Season of Mist WAR split with them and Bethzaida, something I wish would've been done more often: two bands, two original songs each, one cover of their choice, and one cover of the other band on the split.

5. Dreadnought

As it happened The Chasm was what I liked most. That may be no surprise given the 1994 debut date. As for the others :D....they are standing quite deep in the field of the deeply individual. They gave this horse and buggy rider a too challenging course.

Well, it does feel good to find a 2017 release :edthumbs: that is pleasing to me. From Iceland. I do dig the seemingly slapdash (I'm sure I have the wrong word for it) drumming but I'm not a musician so I'm prone to error in making technical pronouncements. Volaða Land, by Draugsól »

6. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident

Love me some Kreator!!!!! Sounds like an awesome line up. Listening to the Midnight now, good stuff...reminds me of something...I wanna say Mercyful Fate, but it's not MF. Guess I just get that vibe from them. Dig it!

7. stay crunchy

Really liking both of these. That Malokarpatan really has some nasty grittiness to it. The PTP is definitely a trip! Cool stuff. I will share both of these with my friends!

8. stay crunchy

Loving The Chasm!!!! Thanks for sharing.

9. stay crunchy

I wish I know more newer bands like you folks, but I'll just settle for sharing another oldie that I really like. I'm not the biggest Black Metal fan and won't pretend to be, but there's something about Windir's Likferd that I keep coming back for more...I'm gonna say it's the catchy riffs, I'm a total riff whore!

10. stay crunchy

I was at a record store in Austin this weekend, End of an Ear, and was surprised to see the amount of obscure Black Metal...you guys would love it!

Anyway, after flipping through a bit of Metal and picking out the best looking copy of Dokken's Tooth and Nail :edthumbs:, I came across a new reissue of Morbid Angel's Domination and snagged it! I had no idea it was already out. I love this album, but must say the reissue, or mastering/recording leaves me a bit disappointed. Drums are hard to hear, except for the typewriter click track, and it seems to lack bottom end all around. Guitars sound kind of muffled, but the solos sound pretty good, as do the vocals. Is this how the original sounds? This thing should sound HUGE, but it doesn't...I really have to crank it up to get the juices flowing.

Dreadnought likes this.
  11. Dreadnought

I don't know much. I just check a handful of sites to see what's up. 99% of bands don't click with me. And I need some sort of advanced Visine to cleanse my eyes from all the cringe worthy band posing for publicity photos as well as occult paraphernalia videos. If I had the ability I'd be a metal park ranger and for their own good I'd ban all bands from the forest. For both photos and videos stay out of the woods! :rolleyes: It's embarrassing. The band pose photos aren't much better. Is it a checklist? Hair, tattoos, oh so serious expressions, check check check. Really those photos tell me nothing.
    For both photos and video just stick to the stage like this. (End of editorial addressing readership of three :D).

lenny nero and stay crunchy like this.
  12. stay crunchy

Oy my God! I think I just peed a little!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! A Metal park ranger shooing posers out of the dark depths of the forests!!!! You should squirt them with a little spray bottle like some folks do with cats!

I will admit, I'm quite smitten with all the infamous Immortal poses.
    [​IMG]

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Check out the At The Heart Of Winter CD booklet lol.

stay crunchy likes this.
  14. Dreadnought

I wasn't even thinking about the over-the-top photos. Just the standard photos, looking downright mean or serious. Not for a minute do I believe these guys are outdoor enthusiasts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's about the quality of the photography, which IS the concept. Behemoth are adorned with many accessories including makeup and they they look great in photos. Not the perfect example but 5 minutes is enough searching.

[​IMG]

15. stay crunchy

Yeah, I love those Immortal poses, just way over the top and I'm pretty sure they intended it to be that way.

Behemoth...wow! These just have their own asthetic that draws me in...the imagry, the symbols, all their artwork...lot of effort into that, let alone the music. Have you seen the short documentry on The Satanist? I think it's a bonus DVD, called Oblivion. It's kind of a deeper perspective of how they created the album. Some may find it pretentious, but they see themselves as artist creating their art for a purpose. Kinda neat!

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Always a favorite...

Dreadnought likes this.
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Just did a blind CD purchase of Sinsaenum - Echoes of the Tortured. $6.16 new on Amazon.ca. Love this song and video. Reminds of Domination era Morbid Angel or one of the Satyricon singles from the 2000's.

stay crunchy and Dreadnought like this.
  18. Dreadnought

No I haven't seen that but I will later. Yeah Behemoth have their whole mythology and aesthetic down. Really not much different than the counter-culture ideas of the 60s but with the metallic mascot of Mr Horns. Have you seen the merchandise for sale at their website? The U2 of extreme metal. Better than cheap junk, they do take pride in the products bearing their name.

The best I ever saw was in the mid 80s when TV music journalist Daniel Richler, son of author Mordecai, started grilling some satanic band about religion and they were made mute.

19. Dreadnought

This album has really grabbed me. I listened to it a dozen times yesterday though I admit to losing the plot after the third track. And since the nonsense of satan reared its goofy head I must add for contrast the band's statement about this album with a bit of editing from myself to eliminate some redundancies (resulting from the English translation from Icelandic I presume).
    "At the album's emotional center is an existential crisis in a seemingly futile and careless world, the demented self-attempts to claw one's way towards meaning and the enlightenment of self. Succumb to the void or be the maker of your own purpose. Volaða Land starts with the uprising, a search for self-empowerment and purpose. The individual who is the creator and destroyer of his own being/existence rises forth as the record continues, with the realization that to find meaning and purpose is one's own responsibility. Will you rise to the occasion or will you fade disgracefully?"

That reminds me of some of the Jungian gobbledygook about individuation I read in the early 90s but at least it is a mature, adult theme. That is something I applaud.

The use of the word "improbable" in the title of this book "The Improbable History of Death Metal & Grindcore" made me so curious I had to order the book. "The Improbable History"! :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    lenny nero likes this.
  20. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Nergal from Behemoth has a solo project coming out soon:

I've got the old paperback edition of this, I need to revisit it sometime. Good stuff.

Deuce66 and Dreadnought like this.
  21. Dreadnought

That's great stuff from Nergal. Nice to hear him branch out. I used to love Nick Cave once upon a time (the Good Son/ Henry's Dream era) and that gave me a flashback! :cool:
    The book has been expanded but only by 100 pages.

lenny nero likes this.
  22. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

23. stay crunchy

Must. Not. Let. Thread. Die!!! Mike, I mean, Sin After Sin:righton:, you have worked too hard for this monstrous thread to get relegated to the back pages! Great suggestions from you and the regular contributors here. I always have something cool to share with my buddies and my students.

Here's another oldie that I really dig: Sabbat from Japan. Kinda Black, kinda Thrashy, kinda Evil...fun for the whole family! Always a good spin.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  24. stay crunchy

I also came across YourLastRites, a website that reviews all genres of Metal albums; I'm sure many of you are familiar with it, but it's new to me. A cool thing that I found was the end of the year (2016) Top 10 lists from each of the sites writers. Although I don't put much stock in rankings, there are a ton of bands (again, new to me!) to pilfer through. Interesting to see that many of their selections have been shared on this thread by contributors. Hmmm....maybe this is where you guys are finding all this cool stuff!

Here's one I culled from one of the lists: Zealotry.

25. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

New Nergal/Me and that Man track

Dreadnought, Deuce66 and stay crunchy like this.