Judas Priest Remasters Question (here we go again)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evanft, Mar 7, 2007.

1. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Went to a flea market today, bought 6pcs Judas Priest CD's missing from my physical collection for 2 Euros each - a no brainer. Out of these 2 were the remasters.
    The loot contained 2 copies of British Steel, BOTH the orignal CBS & the remaster.
    "British Steel remaster" - Listened to it in the car on the way home, what about the revamped track listing? Why was that done, anybody here know (didn't read the whole thread)
    Well, the remaster sounded good in my car, and very interesting with the reworked track listing, did they do this on other JP remasters as well or only British Steel?

Trillmeister likes this.
  2. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

"Breaking The Law" was only originally Track 1 in the U.S., according to Wikipedia.

3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I really don't get why remastered CDs are worse than originals??????? Thank god I stopped buying CDs and still have the originals in my iTunes! :edthumbs:

Ya, some of you you will say, I'm Breaking The Law, Breaking The Law.....:cop:

4. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

It appears I bought the Columbia ones, mixed them up with the CBS, but also YDHTBOTBW & Living after Midnight switch places on the Columbia vs the Remaster.
    I used to have a vinyl copy of this and always thought the album kicked off with Breaking the Law, I prefer the running order starting with Rapid Fire :)
    Anyway, thanks for the input, so the track running order is change is due to regions not remasters.

JediJoker likes this.
  5. The original running order for the UK, was..... Rapid Fire opened the album, and You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise, opened side 2.
    Both the singles, Breaking The Law and Living After Midnight were moved to open side 1 & 2 respectively for the US release.

JediJoker and Jimmy Agates like this.
  6. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

It's just occurred to me that my original issue CD is in fact the US Colombia - does this sound identical to the 1986 European released CBS?

...and I'm on the hunt for a replacement because 'Steeler' - possibly my favourite JP track of the lot - is now exhibiting a temporary glitch. :realmad:

As far as I'm concerned, this particular CD (and presumably the Euro [equivalent?] version) remains one of the reference sounding Heavy Metal CDs bar none.

Achingly crankable, every instrument sits perfectly within the mix and the stereo effect, especially during some of the drumming fills, is applause-inducing.

There must have been something in the air during the early 80s because producers were delivering a crisp punchiness to so many albums of this era yet which within a few short years, that very, sonic assuredness, had been largely subsumed by the affliction... of sheen. (The horror... the horror!)

Rainbow's Straight Between The Eyes, Dio's Holy Diver debut (played last night, start to finish and still the 'Bo Derek 10' of all metallicism) plus The Number Of The Beast by 'Maiden to name but three were all volume tempters par excellence.

Even some of the live stuff du jour played the game - BÖC's Extraterrestrial Live - mangles with some gusto (try staying dry after the extended guitar solo during 'Veteran Of The Psychic Wars.')

7. Yes Trill....
    I view British Steel as a metallic reference bar none as regard production.
    I think they recorded very quickly due to album....tour....album..... tour never ending cycle.
    Their star was rising....young.....ambitious..... Et all....
    Fabulous iconic album.
    One of my very favs ace.

Trillmeister likes this.
  8. January 1984.......

9. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Got my hands on a Canadian CD pressing of Point of Entry (VCK 37052). Sadly, it's just a level-shift of the US and Austrian versions. I should also point out that the index points are flawed on the Canadian CD; the beginnings of each track except for Heading Out to the Highway are tacked on to the previous song. This means that you'll either need to listen to it all the way through or fix it with a waveform editor. On the plus side, the band's logo is on the disc, so it at least looks neater than the other CDs. I've seen Canadian CDs for Turbo and British Steel that use this same template:

[​IMG]

10. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I prefer the US track listing myself, and I'm fully comfortable admitting it's because that's the one I've always heard.

11. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

That is AWFUL. Where's the quality control? Unless it was intentional to combat some kind of anti-piracy? I don't know.

I actually enjoy that album front to back so it wouldn't be a problem but that's still terrible.

DiabloG likes this.
  12. Trillmeister

Delighted to find that a semi-retired Yamaha CD player handles my 'Steeler' glitch like a Series III XJ6 glides over Belgian pavé.

Order, restored...

[​IMG]

Yam Graham and Spirit Crusher like this.
  13. Trillmeister

Absolutely.

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Interesting. Do you or anyone else know if all Canadian original CD pressings are like that?

15. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

If you like those, you should really start with Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin and Stained Glass. Of course, along with Unleashed in the East. These, I think you will find, are much better than the ones you have. That is leaving out British Steel and Hell Bent. I myself went back and bought the original Columbia's and haven't looked back. If you like them, like them. I can tell you there is a huge difference in crankability between the remasters and the originals.

16. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I think the VCKs are the ones that have the band logo on the disc, while the regular CKs don't. As for the index problem, I have no clue.

17. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Nah, I like 'em just as much as their early '80s output (including Defenders of the Faith... can't forget that one, as well as Hell Bent for Leather).

DiabloG likes this.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Well, I have the Canadian SFV on the way. I will let you know about the indexing. Keep your fingers crossed. :)

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I just compared the US SFV and the Canadian. They have the same indexing, and the mastering appears to be the same. The logo is also the same as the US. I don't know what happened with POE and the indexing.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  20. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

Got em all now and Sad Wings,Stained Class, and Unleashed In The East, are probably my top 3 fave in the catalog followed by Screaming For Vengeance and British Steel. I honestly have no idea why I waited so long to check out this band. I kick myself every day for doing so.

ArpMoog likes this.
  21. 4stringking73

Got em all now and Sad Wings,Stained Class, and Unleashed In The East, are probably my top 3 fave in the catalog followed by Screaming For Vengeance and British Steel. I honestly have no idea why I waited so long to check out this band. I kick myself every day for doing so.

22. 4stringking73

Got em all now and Sad Wings,Stained Class, and Unleashed In The East, are probably my top 3 fave in the catalog followed by Screaming For Vengeance and British

Todd W. likes this.
  23. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Is there a dedicated thread for EAC log posting to figure out which pre-remaster releases have the same/different mastering? I've read this thread a few times over the last few weeks as I'm trying to complete my JP collection and I see Kevin5brown did some comparisons on some different releases but have I missed anything else? Here are some of my findings so far (I still have some discs to rip)

Sad Wings of Destiny (Snapper Re-issue - SMMCD 562)
    99.2 % | 98.8 % | 99.2 % | 99.2 % | 99.2 % | 99.2 % | 99.2 % | 99.2 % | 99.2 %

- I read this was supposed to be a clone of the Repertoire, although the peaks look a little suspect to me. Anyone got the Repertoire to compare?

Sin After Sin (Columbia 474684 2 - Austria DADC - Has the 2 red blocks on the disc face)
    100 % | 90.6 % | 100 % | 94.1 % | 93.3 % | 96.4 % | 96 % | 92 %

Stained Class (Columbia CD32075 - Austria DADC - Has the 2 red blocks on the disc face)
    80.3 % | 88.7 % | 98.1 % | 83.2 % | 78.3 % | 84.3 % | 82.1 % | 91.3 % | 84.9%

Unleashed In The East (Columbia 468604 2 - Austria DADC - Has the 2 red blocks on the disc face)
    78.7 % | 85.8 % | 93.3% | 94.4% | 87.8% | 92.5 % | 87.3 % | 88.6 % | 99.3 %

Point of Entry (Columbia 467829 2 - Austria DADC - Has the 2 red blocks on the disc face)
    87.7 % | 85.2% | 80.3% | 81.7 % | 87.9 % | 76.1 % | 83.9 % | 87.5 % | 78.8 % | 79.9 %

Turbo (CBS/Sony 463365 2 - Austria DADC - Has the 2 red blocks on the disc face)
    79.4 % | 95.1 % | 88.2 % | 79.8 % | 100 % | 100 % | 100 % | 100 % | 87 %

Priest...Live! (CBS 450639 2 - Austria DADC)
    63.6 % | 88.5 % | 71.6 % | 79.1 % | 87.5 % | 75.2 % | 75.5 % | 74.6 % | 65.8 % | 62.2 % | 80.8 % | 65.5 % | 72 % | 66.2 % | 33.7 % | 69.3 %

Most of these appear to be early 90's reissues and some of them have the 'Nice Price' series ad printed in the booklets.

Is it worth starting a new thread and trying to compile a decent list with peak levels of different releases?

24. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

My copy of British Steel arrived yesterday. Seems to be a re-issue from early 90's. Man, this sounds glorious and I would be gobsmacked if it could sound any better. Had it blasting on the hi-fi last night and now on headphones and sounds superb on both. Perfectly balanced mix, great dynamics that beg to be cranked. Love how the punchy bass sits in the mix.

British Steel (Columbia CD32412 - Austria DADC - Has the 2 red blocks on the disc face)
    82.5 % | 80.6 % | 77 % | 81.8 % | 77.2 % | 90.4 % | 94 % | 79.3 % | 72.7 %

DiabloG likes this.
  25. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Morning Simon :)

I just got an original pressing of STAINED CLASS (1978) and I must say its gotta be THIER BEST ALBUM!!

Man at C&A and vconsumer like this.