Buffalo Springfield - Bruce Palmer's contributions on Last Time Around

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sab, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sab

sab Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello.

I have a question about Bruce Palmer's contributions on Last Time Around.

In the Einarson/Furay book "For What It's Worth: The Story of Buffalo Springfield" it states that although Bruce was not credited on Last Time Around, he is present on On The Way Home, It's So Hard To Wait, Pretty Girl Why, Questions, Merry Go Round, and Uno Mundo.

However, according to the 2001 box set, the only one of those six songs that Bruce is credited as playing on is On the Way Home. The box set states that Jim Messina played bass on It's So Hard To Wait and Merry Go Round, Stephen Stills played bass on Questions and Uno Mundo, and Jim Fielder played bass on Pretty Girl Why.

Does anyone know which source is correct?

Thanks

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'd like to know, too.

3. sab

Bump

4. And while we're at it - anyone got a clue who the mysterious bass player is on this TV show?

Byrdsmaniac, milankey and seed_drill like this.
  5. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Nice vid post. I'm sure that's Palmer on the bass. Love the interaction of him and Neil, classic!

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's not. It's Dickie Davis.

Mimed, of course.

7. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Huh. Ok cool. He was the tour manager, right?

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes.

SonicBob likes this.
  9. I wonder why they were trying to disguise Bruce? Did he have a warrant out for him for drugs or was the Immigration Service trying to deport him? I think it was in Discoveries magazine some years ago that there was an article about the convoluted history of "Last Time Around". That name Einarson rings some bells. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find it. It gets into things like the lyrics to "The Hour of Not Quite Rain" being written by a high school girl who was a radio station contest winner to a contest the band didn't know anything about (as if Neil, Richie or Stephen couldn't write lyrics).

10. Oh, beat me to it. It wasn't Bruce.

11. sab

Bump again.

12. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Don't know for sure, but I'd put my money on the box set credits.

Whoopycat likes this.
  13. I found my copy of Discoveries magazine issue 170 July 2002 and as I suspected, the article about the making of Last Time Around was written by John Einarson. I haven't read the book written by Einarson/Furay so I can't comment on what, if any, difference there is between the book and the Discoveries article but the article deals with the contributions of Jim Messina to a great extent. One almost needs a scorecard to keep track of who was playing on what and my sleep deprived brain wasn't up to the task the last couple of days. Perhaps I can get to it this weekend. I would guess the article doesn't differ much, if at all, from the book.

14. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Given that Neil seemed like a pro-Bruce guy in the Shakey bio, I would think any wrongs would've been righted on the box.

Aftermath likes this.
  15. Stringman

Stringman Forum Resident

Actually it was either Dickie Davis or The band’s road manager Miles Thomas pretending to play bass. Ken Forssi filled in on a few live dates after the Hollywood Palace appearance

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Dickie Davis

17. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Why couldn't these guys just get it together and make a few more great albums

Mechanical Man and alexpop like this.
  18. sab

Bump again.

19. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Einarson's Buffalo bio is the definitive book on Springfield. I have a signed copy. I need to check those questions as I am positive that if anyone dug up the facts about the bass players in question, John Einarson would have found it out. Hundreds of exhaustive interviews and research...as always, a thoroughly great read as with all his brilliant books (Arthur Lee & Love/Forever Changes, Gene Clark/Firebyrd...also highly recommended). I thought the bass player was Fielder on that TV clip...but my memory is fuzzy...if you remember the 60's you weren't there 'n all...
    :tiphat:

20. lemonade kid

Bruce Palmer's problems (busts and ultimate deportation) where as much the reason for the breakup as Neil's "I'm in... I'm out" stuff. Bruce's groundbreaking bass lines and personality and faith in the music were the glue it seems.

Thank god for Jimmy Messina stepping in to help Steve and Richie get that last effort out. Messina's bass, harmonies and songwriting, not to mention his masterful production and engineering made this last LP a wonderful experience...a joy to behold.

Will be seeing Jim Messina this weekend with his band including Poco bandmate and pedal steel genius Rusty Young! Can't wait for this Springfield/Poco/Loggins & Messina musical extravaganza!

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Nice!

22. lemonade kid

This IS a live clip with Bruce...the coolest. I remember seeing this episode in 1967 with my brother. No internet for a heads up that they were appearing on that episode. Just pure luck we were watching it (most here have likely seen on youtube)

Damn! Bluebird live!!! Neil and Steve are rockin it!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A cool scene, but not live.

24. lemonade kid

It is dubbed in several ways as they hadn't the technology to record the scene live. BACKGROUND NOISE ADDED. Buff's set IS live recorded elsewhere, just dubbed into the scene with them playing ( I assume lip syncing or without amplification....)

25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Is that Tom Skerritt? "Give me about 35 cents worth of apple strudel" dialogue doesn't get any more hard boiled than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.