What Are Your Favourite British Sitcoms?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hexwood, May 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I have to put a word in for You're Only Young Twice starring Peggy Mount and Pat Coombs. It's been shown recently on ITV3, but I think I'm the only one who remembers and likes it!

2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Not enough mentions of the Young Ones. Maybe not a sitcom so much an excuse for comically graphic violence, but let's not argue semantics over a show where the main character has metal stars embedded in his forehead. :D

Second place for me is the IT Crowd - more cohesive and probably objectively a better show. Matt Berry is one of the best actors of all time, and I'm glad I discovered his musical side project (although damn is that endeavor expensive...). Also enjoy Mr. Bean quite a bit.

GeoffC likes this.
  3. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I loved Martin Clunes' remake of The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin. Other than Doc Martin, his other projects haven't been as good in my book.

I need to keep going with Black Adder. My wife didn't like it that much and we put it aside. (Same for the original Reginald Perrin, which I also thought was very funny.)

4. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I just found this show about 6 months ago. Really funny.

OldSoul and barnaby like this.
  5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Catterick was pretty good too. Always hope they'd make more.

6. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Great!
    Did you make it to the end?

7. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

The fall and rise of Reginald Perrin
    Game On
    The thin blue line

GeoffC likes this.
  8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

vince likes this.
  9. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

Yes, but when I started to watch it, it was just over half way through the series, so I saw it from there to the end. It started over again so now I'm watching it from the start. It's only on once per week here.

OldSoul and barnaby like this.
  10. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

OK so you know the end now?
    I haven't watched it in a long time but as far as I can remember the first episodes were very very funny.

11. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

These 3..................:)

m5comp and Michael like this.
  12. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident Thread Starter

Game On is underrated. I remember watching it on TV with my sister.

I think I'll put Keeping Up Appearances at #10 on my list instead of Some Mothers, a recent re-watch reminded me just how funny it is.

[​IMG]

Karnak, four sticks and eddiel like this.
  13. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

:agree: Me too.....I think it's the funniest show I've ever seen. There's lots of episodes, so, you forget enough by the time you run through them again to enjoy them again. Sometimes it's good not to have a purr-fect memory. I really like Faulty Towers but with just 12 episodes. I have to wait years before watching them again.

eddiel likes this.
  14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I also like that copy-cat show, Farty Towers.

15. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

None, I can't stand them.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea, they are fun!

17. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Try this...

smilin ed and beccabear67 like this.
  18. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

All of these are very recent, and are all worth checking out. Their quality puts U.S. sitcoms to shame.
    Lovesick, formerly known as Scrotal Recall (not sure if it quite qualifies, but it has hilarious moments-on Netflix)
    Fleabag (absolutely brilliant-on Netflix)
    Crashing (on Netflix)
    Catastrophe (on...Amazon! fooled ya)
    Again, the "sitcom" label seems too limiting for these short series, and the story lines can get deadly serious, but I cannot wait until their next set of episodes are released.

19. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

A season of a U.S. sitcom can be 26 episodes whereas a Brutish comedy series can be as few as six and usually not beyond eight per year.

I love Steptoe & Son, it was the model for the U.S. Sanford & Son later (Man About The House inspired Three's Company, Til Death Us Do Part inspired All In The Family). There was a U.S. attempt to copy the Ronnie Barker and David Jason Open All Hours and I thought it was quite good but lasted less than a U.S. season. It was a sort of 7-11 and had an ex-football star in it. I think that was titled Open All Night.

I've always found it surprising the love of U.S. fans for some of the shows like As Time Goes By, Are You Being Served, and 'Allo 'Allo which are always being rerun, but there are a lot of them and volume seems important to schedulers. One Foot In The Grave seemed to go over well and like Keeping Up Appearance had some classic brilliant episodes.

20. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm further in now, and have enjoyed some parts thoroughly. Last night Eddie ruined the lost Beatles tape. :)

21. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I also rate Citizen Khan as a worthy addition in the classic UK '70s sitcom style.

22. Django

Django Forum Resident

One I liked from a few years ago was ideal, it used to be on bbc3.
    Johnny Vegas plays a small time hash dealer and all these odd characters call around to his flat to buy weed.
    I don't think they ever left the flat.

andybeau likes this.
  23. Django

Django Forum Resident

24. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

'After You're Gone' (with Nicholas Lyndhurst & Amanda Abbington)

25. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Dads Army
    The Young Ones
    Ideal
    Men Behaving Badly
    Red Dwarf
    Spaced
    Good Life

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.