Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

The absolute nadir, wih the mumbling incoherent bridge and awful vocals.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  2. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Steve Marinucci and his crew on the "Things We Said Today" podcast are very accurate when they get breaking info regarding the Fabs. Ken Michaels is in radio out east and Al Sussman is a Beatlefest veteran expert and they are usually 100% accurate.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  3. Wingsfan2012

I know of a co-worker who bought and rediscovered the Wings era hits and bought "Wingspan" only to be totally turned off when he bought "Driving Rain". Solo momentum was lost.................

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. Wingsfan2012

The vocals on "Ebony and Ivory" are cringeworthy. Some major touching up was needed. Otherwise I think he holds up fine for the rest of "Tripping". I did hate the album title when it came out, I remember hating it when I first heard the title!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Me too! I came in from Seattle for both the first Chicago show in December and the Soldier Field show the following summer. Of course, I got to see the Seattle Kingdome show in between with PS Love Me Do in the setlist - aren't YOU envious?!? ;)

Perhaps the elderly @Glenn Christense was at those Chicago shows with us, too? I seem to recall pushing a little old man out of the way at the beer line...

6. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Small world. As I said earlier, I was at two of the three shows at the Horizon in December, and I attended the tour's last stop at Soldier Field...6th row center.

I thought I saw you there.

7. Wingsfan2012

oh that guy was Glenn? Wow!

Mr. Explorer, mrjinks and theMess like this.
  8. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

BIW, I LOVE your name/avatar! :righton:

[​IMG]

theMess likes this.
  9. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

:)
    I was there on December 5 - the last of the 3 night stand. I thought he sounded good that night.

Edit: Sounds like we were all there! - lol. We should have asked Paul to reconsider the download only tracks while we were all together and had access to him :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Talking about Flowers-era live shows is only slightly off-topic, right? I was a recent college grad, dead poor, circa 1989. I remember when Paul announced shows it was only NYC, CHI & LA. I had friends in Chicago, but needed to get tix, and figure out transportation. Amazingly, AMEX had given me a card (for recent grads) and one perk was that it came with two round-trip tickets, pretty much anywhere in the US for $99 round-trip. So that solved the travel issue.

I just needed my college friend to get the Dec tickets - she failed, said they were gone and she never had a chance. I had no idea Paul would mount a larger, longer US tour and figured we just needed to try harder. One day at work, I'm thumbing through a USA today and notice ads from "ticket brokers" in the back. I called 'em up and they wanted $125/ea. for two tickets at the Rosemount (face value was $28.50). My friend had told me she's be willing to shell out $100, so I figured "close enough" and ate the difference. It was so worth it! I remember reading the (lengthy) free program on the plane ride home the next day...

Months later, used the other travel voucher, this time without concert tix, to visit a different friend, and she hadn't been able to get tix, either. I remember walking around Soldier Field looking for someone selling, and virtually no one was. I assume ticket scalping was actively enforced at the time, because several people told the then-clean-cut-me, that no way would they sell to me, because I had to be a cop (!!). Washington driver's license wouldn't even convince them. :shrug: We finally found some guy willing to sell a pair to us, and had to walk a LONG way from the stadium before he'd do the exchange. I figured he was going to take our money and leave us for dead or something.

But that was worth it, too. It just happened that the three shows I caught that tour captured all the setlist variations that he did on the tour - the only cuts I didn't hear were the one-offs (Mull, All My Trials). Couldn't have worked out better!

11. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Of course you liked it! I mean, just LOOK at your avatar!! ;)

12. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I saw Lawrence Juber a couple of years ago and Back To The Egg is done. Whether it gets released or not....

13. leeroy jenkins

When he announced initially only New York, Chicago and LA, I sort of freaked out and thought - "This is my only shot!" A friend and I got tickets and drove up from Cincinnati (not nearly as far as you traveled). I ended up seeing him 3 more times by July of '90 - the end of the tour.

14. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

B&N are sometimes late in updating exclusives so I still think they might but BB almost always has their exclusives posted right away

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  15. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

Unfortunately, by the time it gets released (if ever) I doubt most of us will be around to hear it.

longdist01 and leeroy jenkins like this.
  16. leeroy jenkins

Or will be here, but not be able to hear well enough to care anymore.

theMess and longdist01 like this.
  17. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Obligatory.
    [​IMG]

18. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I remember him bringing it on Howard to plug the new album. His reaction was perfect when the track started - "what the hell is that??"

Yeah, i thought the same thing. Still his worst single ever.

Darrin L. likes this.
  19. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

lol me too. I love Howard, I love Paul...but I thought it was a poor choice of a first single, and a very poor choice to play it on Sterns show.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  20. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I'm listening to the 2002 tour CD 'Back In The U.S.' and his voice sounds so much better than on the 'Tripping' and 'Paul Is Live' CDs. The overall mix is much better too.

21. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Thanks! :righton:

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  22. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

He doesn’t do more than taking educated guesses and copying press releases these days. In the past sometimes even taking forum rumours for a quick, often erroneous, scoop. Even completely clueless (Beatles Examiner on Twitter ») when McCartney's PR team started posting hints (Paul McCartney on Twitter ») at social media before the imminent announcement of 'New' in 2013. And 2 weeks before the release of the lead single and announcement of the album, still didn't have the slightest idea besides the then known rumours (Paul McCartney producer reveals more about Beatle's upcoming album »).

Lewisboogie, Rob Hughes and cb70 like this.
  23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Don t think his voice is better really-it s all down to personal taste. No more no less .

Shak Cohen likes this.
  24. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

Just listen to the remix, people, that is so, so wonderful.

25. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

I think his voice is in better condition than Tripping/Is Live - but - by this point it sounds like his voice had started to 'thin' (and before his voice started to crack as it did more recently). He certainly still had full control of it.

I don't know if thin is the right word to describe it. It certainly seems to start getting less richer around the 'Flaming Pie' era.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.