Kings X - what post Sam Taylor releases are worth getting?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny q, Jan 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident Thread Starter

I followed Kings X up to and including Ear Candy which I liked very much (despite complaints at the time it was too Psychedelic or "Beatle-y" sounding.) Past that...I couldn't tell you a blessed thing about their catalog because I stopped buying the new releases. Word at the time via my circle of friends.... was that the thrill was gone!

Listening to the new vinyl reissues as I type, it dawned on me I should have given them more of a chance and not relied on mere hearsay. What releases would you suggest post the big initial first 4?? A buddy of mine just told me Tape Head is the one to get......would love to hear your opinions.

JQ

2. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

XV just for "Go Tell Somebody."

samskeyti, SoKan61, Jeff Kent and 2 others like this.
  3. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Tape Head is really good, depending on what you like about the band. As time goes on, they seem to leave their proggy elements behind in favor of more straightforward heavy rock with a blues trio lean.
    I also enjoyed Ogre Tones as well as XV. Black Like Sunday is a revisiting of older tracks they performed before they were signed. Okay, but I don't find it essential.

Also worth checking out are Ty's solo (Moonflower Lane features Galactic Cowboys as his back-up band)and other band projects like Platypus, The Jelly Jam and Jughead...most of that stuff can be found cheap. Dug's work with KXM and Pinnick Gales & Pridgen are also heavy blues...PGP does a great cover of Sunshine Of Your Love on their first disc.

Lots of cool stuff worth checking out...IMO

ytserush, wdiv, Finch Platte and 3 others like this.
  4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I'm a total fanboy so naturally I'm going to say they're all worth getting. Tape Head has shorter less proggy more groove based songs...Groove Machine, Fade, Ono...simple and perfect. Bulbous is beautifully weird and wayyyy down tuned. Manic Moonlight was an album they weren't in the mood to make so they started playing with drum loops, Believe, False Alarm, Vegetable, the last of which has become a live staple. Black Like Sunday saw them recording previously unrecorded songs from their very early days. Some sound dated, but ot's a fun power pop album. Ogre Tones and XV are hit or miss, but each has enough hit to make them worth picking up. Sooner Or Later on OT is an amazing slow burn tune not unlike Cigarettes.

Go see them live if you get the chance. Friendly guys, dedicated fans singing along, a family atmosphere. They only play a handful of shows at a time.

5. DannyG

DannyG Forum Resident

Get all of them. Most are available for just a few bucks used. Tapehead and XV are good places to start.

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow - thanks for all the quick replies! I will be adding to my collection for sure. But guys/gals....does anything post S/T rival those 1st 4 albums??

7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

What post Sam Taylor releases are worth getting?

All of them.

(King's X is one of my top 10 artists)

GodShifter, Chazzbo13 and johnny q like this.
  8. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

I think so, most definitely...but one needs to remember that, like most bands that last over an extended period of time, they're going to change and refine and alter their sounds and ideas as they go through different stages of life...different influences creep in, while other older ones lose their impact...a band like King's X will always push boundaries, to greater and lesser degrees of success with each album...like the others who've answered, I'm a 20 plus year fan, and I find something to love on every album...

9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

My top 5 King's X albums, by the way, in order, would probably be:

King's X
    Faith, Hope, Love (although the first two could just as easily swap places)
    Ear Candy
    Dogman
    Gretchen Goes to Nebraska (ditto for this and Dogman--they could just as easily swap places)

(And then Out of the Silent Planet would be sixth)

10. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Manic Moonlight is the only album of theirs that I wasn't crazy about, but it still had some good tracks. Otherwise, I recommend everything they've ever done. Just try and pick up Manic Moonlight used, and you're golden.

11. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I find Jerry Gaskill's latest solo album is really solid as well. It's definitely holding me over until a new King's X album comes out. Hopefully this year :)

ytserush, Davidmk5, johnny q and 2 others like this.
  12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Again, fan boy alert, but I think King's X is one of those bands where every album has its own sound. Manic Moonlight sounds nothing like Dogman and Bulbous doesn't sound anything like Ear Candy etc. I think maybe the last two studio albums started to sound a little similar, but like someone else mentioned, these guys have been playing together for thirty years.

I saw Jelly Jam last summer, their albums are excellent. Both of Jerry's sound like...Jerry. dUg has a million and one sided projects. The latest is the second KXM (Pinnick, Luzier, Lynch) and the first single is just nasty...almost an avant garde riff.

If nothing else, the band could use your support. They're struggling musicians with little or no label support. Every time I go to a show I try to buy something.

13. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Yes. They definitely have a trademark sound, but I never bought an album of theirs and thought, "Oh this is just the same old crap as before."

ytserush and johnny q like this.
  14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Some people gave them **** about the odd tunings on Bulbous, the loops on Manic Moonight or the old songs on Black Like Sunday. I for one would rather a band try and fail than keep doing the same thing over and oversion. I don't think any of their albums 'failed,' but some experiments fared better than others.

The question now is, will we ever get another studio album. They have said they 'committed' to doing one, but when.

ytserush and johnny q like this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I didn't like Manic Moonlight and Mr. Bulbous. The rest are worthwhile.

Tape Head has probably my favorite King's X tune of them all with "Happy". It's a very good album.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    johnny q likes this.
  16. essenceablaze

essenceablaze Active Member

I enjoy tracks from all of the post 4 releases, but I think Ogre Tones has the most similar feel to the older releases. You really can't go wrong with King's X, even the worst King's X album craps all over most rock bands.

GodShifter and Jeff Kent like this.
  17. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Tapehead is as good as anything in their catalog. Bulbous is also worth owning. I do not like anything after that. I think all of the side projects definitely affected the quality of the later KX albums. There are only so many good songs.

DPM and Jeff Kent like this.
  18. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I'll second the Tape Head and Mr. Bulbous recommendations, but they lost me with Manic Moonlight.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought Bulbous was bordering on bad.

King's X are very prolific, hard working pros that, unfortunately, have to crank out product to be able to tour which makes a living for them as professional musicians. If there were any justice in the world, these guys would be well off and do the projects simply because they want to. I'm sure as working musicians they love what they do, but more of a financial reward is certainly deserving of all three of these terrific musicians. Life is not fair.

DPM likes this.
  20. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I too am a big fan , own all the albums , i think they all have something to offer for sure , but XV & Tapehead as a most mentioned are probably great to get & ahead of the others .

21. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I liked parts of Mr. Bulbous right from the start, but some of the stranger tunes needed to grow on me. It's one of those albums where the second half is stronger than the first. Still, it's not in the same league as their first 6 releases. Neither is Tape Head, but both disks have some choice tunes on them.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

They don't tour 'normally' anymore. They fly into an area for a long weekend, maybe Thur-Mon and play 3 or four shows. No more two months on the road because it's easier on dUg's voice, he'll be 67 this year...yeah.

[​IMG]

On and Jerry has had two heart attacks, so...

Speaking of Jerry, they released this digital downed to help raise money for his medical bills. It happens to be my first KX show.

Product Details - Molken Music Online ยป

ytserush likes this.
  23. There's good stuff on all of them, but they aren't as consistent as before. I'd rank them:

PCH, Mr. Bulbous (the "Move Me" suite is fantastic)
    XV (solid, all the way through)
    Tape Head (Groove Machine is a great concert opener)
    Manic Moonlight (the funkier stuff on this album is really good, give it all away!)
    Ogre Tones (sounds good, but I don't think the songs were there)
    Black Like Sunday

24. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Last year's Jelly Jam album was excellent. I had that in rotation for quite a while last year. Looking forward to the new KXM album.

Davidmk5 and Chazzbo13 like this.
  25. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

They are all worth picking up. I love Bulbous and Tape Head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.