Big holes in the middle of 45 rpm records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigmikerocks, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

All the old record players, stereograms etc used to be able to take a stack of records. Used to watch transfixed as one record finished, the arm went back to the home position, another one dropped and the arm went back to the record...rinse...repeat.

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

These suckers were more or less permanent. Taking them out would damage the record.

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Yep. I don't recall seeing many of the pyramid-shaped ones though. Our player came with both types. Ron

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Sure makes you feel old to see "new" info you already knew over 50 years ago. :help:

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That hole is large due to the RCA Victor 45 RPM changer design, which launched with the 45 RPM system in 1949. Code named Madame X in development.

Myke likes this.
  7. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Oh man, I hate running across a box of singles with those things in there. They are tricky to remove.

daveidmarx and Culpa like this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

9. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

My Dual adapter looks like that flat Garrard.

My first "serious" record player (the first stereo one, at least) was a Motorola suitcase style beast that had a round adapter that fit over the spindle.

I also have a Webcor that came with a box of the metal adapters. I put one in a record and actually broke the record trying to get it out. I guess they were meant to be permanent.

Gaslight likes this.
  10. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Have you seen the movie American Pie? ;)

11. mcmprov

mcmprov Forum Resident

I have found those metal inserts easier to install and remove than the plastic ones. It did take a little practice to get used to it...takes two hands to remove. Push up with one hand and pull out, while pushing down the other side of the insert with the other hand. Simple. I like the way the metals ones look better than the yellow ones, but its subjective.

By the way, I just found a nice tweak for playing 45s, which are sometimes much thinner than LPs. Just used a standard Herbies audio mat when playing 45s. It raises the VTA to about be in-line with the VTA settings for LPs. So far, I find my 45s sound much better owing to getting the VTA right. I much prefer using a mat rather than dealing with changing VTA settings.

Arkoffs likes this.
  12. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

That's a good idea!

13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

*cringe* That is so bad for the vinyl...

15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Yeah? When I was a kid I put my 45s on my HANDLEBARS when I took them over to a friends on my bike. Record sleeves? Those got torn up pretty quick. Face it records faced abuse without considering the bloody turntable. My first stereo had a 5" hard plastic turntable. My records were a scratched skippy horror show. And a quarter on the tone arm. Ever wonder why some records are sick expensive to buy in decent shape from the 50s-60s? Attrition. Millions sold, millions worn and abused.
    How I treated records didn't change until I was sixteen and got my first stereo.

utopiarun, stetsonic and reb like this.
  16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

[​IMG]

Culpa likes this.
  17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I always assumed it had to do with jukeboxes. Probably hard to manufacture a jukebox capable of getting a record on to a LP-sized spindle every three minutes.

18. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Yep, I remember those all too well. We used to refer to them as "dinks". Maybe that was regional. Anyway, I was always sure that someday I would crack a record trying to get these wretched things in place. Never did though. Now I kind of miss the nostalgia of it. Nice to see one of 'em again.

19. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Why can't new record manufacturers get the hole in the CENTER of both sides of the lp as reliably as Germany and Japan used to do?

20. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Can't you see there's more than one record there? It's "vinyls"!! Sheesh! :D

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh now you've done it- Steve is going to come down on you so hard!

:)

daveidmarx likes this.
  22. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

In The Netherlands we mostly had big holes on singles.

23. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I was under the impression that most of Europe used the larger holes (it probably varied between countries/pressing plants). We used to refer to those larger holes as 'continental centres' in Britain.

Yost likes this.
  24. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Why were a lot of the UK's pressed with what look like 'knock out' centers?

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Like this, right?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.