Songs/albums/artists that changed your life

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rock and Roll Doctor Who, Jan 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rock and Roll Doctor Who

Rock and Roll Doctor Who Member Thread Starter

Any music that's changed your outlook, left a significant mark on you, et cetera.

(Feel free to include anecdotes if you wish ~ music has such a varied and pervasive effect on most of our lives that it's endlessly interesting to hear about it IMO)

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

None changed, many touched.

barnaby likes this.
  3. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Beatles (all through my first ten years)
    Black Sabbath (first heavy)
    Yes (first prog)
    John Martyn (unique eclectic fusion of styles)
    -and, specifically, the Who Live At Leeds (very specifically, the long My Generation and Entwistle's Boeing-747 bass)

4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Bongo Fury - Frank Zappa/Captain Beefheart

In the late 70s (roughly 12-13 years old) I had at that point only listened to top 40 radio. I knew who the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones and a few others were from my parents, but only listened to what AM radio was playing at the time.....and didn't have older siblings or others around to tell me that "disco sucks" (though I still like some of it. I had heard "Dancin' Fool" at some point and thought it was funny....then someone let me hear Bongo Fury. It's the album that changed my music outlook on life.....not only being my introduction to Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart, but to shift listening to rock music.

Both have done better material, but I can still listen to this album countless times and never get sick of it.

dennis the menace likes this.
  5. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

KISS - I was already into music at a very young age, Elton John specifically, but KISS put me over the top. A ton of people my age (born in 1969) probably feel the same.

6. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Kanye - College Dropout
    My gateway Hip-Hop album. Prior to my listening experience with CG I thought Rap was mostly cars, jewelry and girls. :doh:

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
    Changed my perception of music. I now view it as a art form, instead of background noise.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
    *Sigh* Finally a genre that speaks to me. :love: The blissful atmospheres of my sweetest dreams has come to life.

Thom and Gaslight like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Kiss was the first band I really dug into big-time - and my first concert, too - but I don't know if they changed my life.

I'd have to say the Beatles did that, because they were the first band I really invested in. Getting into them set me on a path to so many other artists I'd come to love...

Duke Fame likes this.
  8. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

My interest in music has probably influenced my life. Where others choose to do a scheme of things with a purpose like homework at school and to find an interest in something that makes money, I could just sit and listen to records for hours... :whistle:

9. Wedege

Wedege Well-Known Member

Blur - 13

10. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

The only music I've ever heard that truly changed my life was when my sister gave me the 45 I Wanna Hold Your Hand/I Saw Her Standing There.

oh one time I did a song myself that is still unreleased that caused me to believe I could make it in music. oh, dreams!

dennis the menace likes this.
  11. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

The Stones Honky Tonk Women. I was 9 or 10 years old when I heard it in a juke-box. Changed my life forever.

12. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

Bowie...Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

13. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

Counting Crows - August and Everything After...I was stationed at Osan AB Dec 93 - Dec 94...I picked the CD up at the PX in Seoul...I had heard "Mr Jones" on AFKN...so I am riding back on the bus from Seoul to Osan...I heard "Round Here" for the first time...became a lifelong fan right after that...(as if you can't tell from my avatar...:) )

14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

For better or for worse, Judy Collins' Whales and Nightingales album turned me into a diehard folksinger in the middle of the disco-drenched '70s.

zebop likes this.
  15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The Beach Boys' Smile. Along with Pet Sounds, it totally changed my perception of the band and opened me up to Wilson's extraordinary compositional abilities. It was a totally unique musical experience, particularly back before Brian finally went back and tackled it in 2003, because up until that point, the listener almost had to try to assemble it themselves, like the original interactive artwork. It was like trying to put together a puzzle where some of the pieces were missing and you weren't entirely sure what the finished picture was supposed to look like. In this way, it's a much more fluid and vital piece of work and even with the more recent releases, it's still a mystery.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  16. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

The Beatles - Help! ("This music speaks to me!" - Navin R. Johnson)

hello people, Fender Relic and zebop like this.
  17. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Hendrix - Electric Ladyland. Upon hearing this as a 12 year old, I went from disliking the guitar to playing it.

Danny Gatton - 88 Elmira Street got me to put the guitar down (or at least quit pursuing it seriously - I could practice 10 hours a day for a hundred years and not get close to Gatton's mastery of the instrument!)

18. John54

John54 Senior Member

Despite loving so many '60s songs, I would be hard-pressed to say that any "changed my life" (although I was barely a teenager by the end of the decade, so not much going on outside the usual).

But in the '80s, I was quite perked up on first hearing Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now by the Smiths, which fascinated me, and i liked most of the band's work. Then in the '90s, I bought that big Pulp LP (you know the one) and was immediately jolted awake by Mis-shapes, the first track, although I like almost everything on it and consider it the best LP of the decade.

19. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

"Trace" Son Volt and "Stranger's Almanac" Whiskeytown Got me into Alt Country big time.

lesterbangs likes this.
  20. keoni

keoni Senior Member

The Shins - "New Slang"

zbase likes this.
  21. zbase

zbase Forum Resident

Kansas - The Wall

22. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

We're An American Band - Grand Funk--first album I bought, which snowballed into me having to have a separate room in the house to keep my albums in. If I had expanded as much energy obsessing over finance than I did over music, I'd probably be able to retire some day.

23. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Great song, even soundtracked a McDonald's commercial at the time, if I recall, but curious how it changed your life? Guess every new artist or song or album we hear changes our life a bit, some of course more than others, but the Shins never struck me as the type of band that would often be a catalyst for one of those big life changing events. Care to elaborate? I'd guess the album in your avatar has probably changed a few lives.

For me, maybe the first Kraftwerk record I bought, it was a mysterious import UK Vertigo double LP with the spaceship label, think this was the second issue sometime in 1973 (initially came out in 1972 with the rare spiral label). In any case, it combined the first two Kraftwerk releases and might still be my favorite Kraftwerk album. Some of the most amazing sounds I had ever heard, really started a change in how I appreciated music. And the sound quality was phenomenal also, just like they were sitting around in your living room with a big drum kit and instruments and keyboards spread all about, with cables running haphazardly all about the place. Very live sounding. They were really insane, and a little of that rubbed off on a young me too.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

My Dad singing in the car
    Methodist Hymnal
    Both my Aunts on either side of the family were good pianists
    My older Sister bringing home 45's starting in 1963
    My Dad's Country and Hillbilly 78's from 40's/50's
    The Beatles..music went from B&W to color thanks to Ed Sullivan when I was 8
    The Dave Clark Five-Weekend In London first LP I bought with my own money
    All Bob Dylan albums through Desire
    All Rolling Stones albums through GHS
    All CCR LP's
    All Neil Young LP's through Comes A Time
    Buffalo Springfield
    The Gordon Lightfoot Reprise LP's
    The Band...everything
    Boz Scaggs first Atlantic LP
    Dave Mason-Alone Together one of the greatest Rock LP's of all time
    Little Richard
    Van Morrison...pretty much everything
    Carl Perkins,Johnny Cash,Steve Cropper and James Burton
    Al Green,Otis Redding,Percy Sledge,Wilson Pickett,Garnett Mimms,Candi Staton,Eddie Floyd,Arthur Conley,Brenda Holloway,Mary Wells,Barbara Lynn
    Leon Redbone and Leon Russell
    Tom Paley-Hard Luck Papa
    J D Crowe and The New South
    Richard and Linda Thompson-Bright Lights,Pour Down,Sunnyvista,Shoot Out and Richard solo Hand Of Kindness,Rumor And Sigh,Mock Tudor
    Nick Drake-Fruit Tree Box
    Norman Blake and Norman and Nancy Blake together and The Rising Fawn String Ensemble
    Elizabeth Cotten and David Bromberg for inspiring me to learn finger style acoustic guitar
    Kevin Burke the great Irish Fiddler of Bothy Band fame and one of my favorite LP's ,Portland, with Michael O'Dohminail
    Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill-The Lonesome Touch
    The Allman Brothers Band
    Muscle Shoals,Fame,Stax,Hi,Atlantic,Motown,Checker,Chess,Capricorn and all the small R&B,Soul,Blues labels
    Rod Stewart and Jackson Browne's first 4 or 5 LP's
    Mississippi John Hurt,Son House,and Rev. Gary Davis
    Ry Cooder
    Pierre Bensusuan-Pres De Paris
    Leo Kottke and John Fahey
    Will Ackerman,Michael Hedges, Alex DeGrassi,and George Winston
    Fleetwood Mac
    Peter,Paul,And Mary
    Hank Williams
    The Louvin Brothers
    Flatt & Scruggs,The Stanley Brothers,Bill Monroe,Reno and Smiley
    Gram Parsons and Emylou Harris
    Jerry Jeff Walker
    The Ozark Mountain Daredevils-Quilt debut album,It'll Shine When It Shines,The Car Over The Lake Album with The Little Red Record...huge influence those Daredevils
    The Everly Brothers
    Rick Nelson
    Elvis
    Fats Domino
    Delaney and Bonnie
    Eric Clapton,Cream,Derek and The Dominos
    Traffic
    Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits
    Steely Dan first 3LP's
    The Faces and Ronnie Lane solo

I'm not done,just tired. Thanks to these and so many more.

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band-Will The Circle Be Unbroken

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  25. Michael Sutter

Michael Sutter Forum Resident

Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen
    Completely changed my perception on what an album could (or even should) be. With its blistering sarcasm and unadulterated childish frustration, along with moodiness that perfectly fit the mind of a high schooler, just spoke to young me in a way that no other music ever had.

Laura Nyro - New York Tendaberry
    Showed me that the flow of pop music can be just as fickle as classical or jazz, that eccentricity can be very vividly conveyed in songwriting, and set the bar for how emotive music can be.

Scooter59 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.