Deep Purple Fuel Retirement Rumors With ‘Long Goodbye Tour’ Announcement

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jon9091, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Indeed it is. Powerful imagery!

zen likes this.
  2. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I DON'T in fact hate Deep Purple. I DO respect Deep Purple (except that long-haired blond American who hangs around with them -- HIM I have NO respect for). It's just that for me, without Blackmore or Lord, I have no reason to go see them. I'd start a stampede to see them if they got RB or even Nick Simper back in the band though!

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

OMG :bigeek:

I HAVE to drink those. NOW.

I mean, just one 4-pack. I'm no fool. :laugh:

jon9091 likes this.
  4. I thought the last studio album "Now What?!" had some pretty good moments. For example, "Bodyline", "Blood from a Stone", "Apres Vouz", "A Simple Song", and I also really liked the first single "All the Time in the World". Probably not first class material, but still enjoyable and some very good sections in some of the songs.

And the sound/production was actually pretty good on the vinyl version.

On the live front, I think Ian Gillan's voice is most often not delivering the goods anymore (but I thought his voice sounded good on the studio album).

I most likely will get their new album on vinyl. It's the band I grew up with, and I still have a place for them in my heart. Although I am probably more a Blackmore guy, and not a huge Steve Morse fan (some of his playing is really nice but sometimes it is just over the top for me).

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The Battle Rages On was a decent E.P., at best:

Anya
    The Battle Rages On
    Twist In The Tale
    Talk About Love
    Ramshackle Man

The songs really came to life onstage during the 1993 European tour.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

I haven't really been paying too close attention, have they changed key at all live to try to suit Gillan's limited range? I know Highway Star is the usual opener, but he really struggles singing it. I guess the fans in attendance probably don't care, they just wanna hear the old standards....again.

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Um ... Jon Lord died a few years ago ...

8. zen

zen Senior Member

A brief interview with Ian Paice right before he walked on stage for the Italian Deep Purple Tribute.
    He revealed some details on the new Deep Purple album, the upcoming tour, his final visit with Jon Lord, the Rainbow reunion, and the whitesnake-purple album....

dpv2008 and Blastproof like this.
  9. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Very aware, sadly, please check the context of what I said. Someone said it wasn't Deep Purple without Blackmore and Lord.

rstamberg likes this.
  10. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

I just like this guy.

11. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I think that Gillan's singing is sort of like the evolution of Robert Plant. He has learned to move past relying on youth and power into becoming a real singer, one that can do something besides launching some powerful screams in a very high register. I like Child in Time as much as any Purple fan but I would contend that a tune like "Haunted" shows some artistic growth. Maybe he hasn't gone as far as Plant in exploring different styles as he's grown older but damn, Ian has done some really tasty vocals in the last few albums.

Another thing about the current lineup. I like Ritchie. Love his tone, his attitude. But to dis Morse is just unthinkable. The man is a fantastic guitarist and frankly, Purple was lucky to get him.

PyroMessiah, zen, Carserguev and 4 others like this.
  12. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I thought it really disappointing. Especially coming after Stormbringer. Blackmore's departure was too much in a change of tone for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.